PDA

View Full Version : Easy veg to grow with the kids?

miss mopple
19-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I've just been out and bought 2 1m square planters for the garden so that we can grow our own veg :clapping: I'm not the most green fingered person in the world so has anyone got any ideas what would be best for us to start off with thats easy?

Can't wait to get started :D

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 03:54 PM
carrots are pretty easy, get ones that are protected from fly strike (a bit more expensive but less likely to be destroyed by carrot root fly)

onions are pretty easy too but you probably wouldn't want to eat them, lol

Runner beans are easy, not sure how you'd out the poles in planters though...

caz3007
19-03-2011, 04:05 PM
~The salad leaves are brilliant, they come up again and again throughout the summer as long as you cut them. We grew them last year and the children loved tending, cutting and eating them.

We are growing them again this year as it was really cost effective, no leftover lettuce in the composter

Roseolivia
19-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Corgettes, radishes, beetroot, chillis, tomatoes, lettuce

Dragonfly
19-03-2011, 05:35 PM
COURGETTES, FRENCH BEANS,TOMATOES,LETTUCE, RADISHES, RUNNER BEANS YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE A WIGWAM FRAME OUT OF BAMBOO STICKS FOR THESE AND FRENCH BEANS.

Sarahbelle
19-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I have just bought seeds and have got bush tomato, mini iceberg lettuce, spring onion, salad leaves, rocket. Oh and I will probably get carrot as well.:D

gegele
19-03-2011, 06:45 PM
i struggled with the carrots :(

cherry tomatoes are winners every year here

courgette did so well 2yrs ago that i had to give them to neighbours as we weren't eating them fast enough!! it takes loads of room though.

radishes are easy and fast

miss mopple
19-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks all, some great suggestions :thumbsup:

mushpea
19-03-2011, 07:39 PM
if you plant carrots do a row of carrots and a row of spring or normal onions to keep the fly away,,,, courgettes you will only need one or two plants as they are prolific croppers,,,, big or small tomatos are good, peppers,, strawberrys,, radishs are easy and quick to grow,, peas are very tasty fresh from the pod and you can eat the pods too although they need a little net or a few twiggy sticks to climb on, bluberry bush,
I personaly wouldnt grow chillis with children as cause they can irritate the skin but as long as you wash hands after touchin the plant/chilli each time they should be fine,
you should also be aware that tomato leaves are poisnes but as long as they dont eat the leaves they should be fine so you could put them in pots out of reach of those tha put everything in their mouths.

Chell
19-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Green beans of any sort seem to be easy, so are peas. You don't get a massive amount of produce from them but podding peas are a favourite to grow here. The peas rarely make it to the pot, the children pod them and eat them raw.

At least with beans the results are above the ground, the children see the progress.

ajs
19-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Dont forget potatoes. We planted ours on Friday in a potatoes planter

ajs
19-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Dont forget potatoes. We planted ours on Friday in a potatoes planter

miss mopple
20-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Well I am now the proud owner of 2 veg boxes :clapping: We have planted some pea seedlings today to get it started, and bought seeds for tomatoes (to do in growbag), salad leaves, courgettes and sping onions and we'll be buying herbs this week too :D I have potatoes chitting so we will get them planted this week in planters as well.

Also found a fab themometer for my garden for a bargain 99p and have put that on the fence at child height so they can track the temperature :thumbsup: and put a rain guage in one of the boxes too so thats added to my PSRN outdoors as well :)

The kids will love it I hope :clapping:

mushpea
20-03-2011, 08:08 PM
that sounds great,,hope the children enjoy their gardning and eating their hard work!!
how do you do a rain gauge?

miss mopple
20-03-2011, 08:13 PM
We bought the guage in Tiger last week for £2. Easy to make one though- just mark a clear container, or decorate a wooden spoon and marke measurements up the handle and dip it in the water to see how deep it is