PDA

View Full Version : Got a new mindee but why am I not jumping for joy?

Minstrel
19-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I have been desperate in my attempt to sign up new mindees for my return to minding (mat leave) and have had no luck. About 3-4 weeks ago I saw 3 sets of parents of which none got back to me. I was gutted as I thought they all went well. Due to me being so off the mark, I wondered what I was doing wrong and even considered if childminding was still the job for me.

Anyway, this morning out of the blue one of the parents called me back and said she was interested in 5 days (originally wanted 2) and is coming next week to sign up.

So what's wrong with me? I'm not sure if it's because I feel a bit 'second best'. She obviously didn't like me enough to call back any sooner and wonder now if I'm a stop gap till she gets a better offer (maybe the minder she wants has a waiting list?) or am I the best of a bad bunch?

Twinkle-Toes
19-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Hiya,

I would say that (in my own personal experience) the reason she didn't call back sooner was due to a change in her circumstances. Especially as she now requires more days than before. Still would have been polite to have called you back sooner tho!

Don't feel second best, she has chosen you for her child no matter what has led to that decision or not.

Maybe you are just having a bit of a confidence blip after coming back to cm'ing, i'm sure you'll get back into the swing of it and feel much better :thumbsup:

Hope i've managed to make sense, i'm not feeling overly articulate today!!

Take care,
Kate

Happy Bunny
19-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree with the above post.
Also perhaps it took her all that time to reply as she might have gone looking around at other childminders and decided you were the best!!

westbrom44
19-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I had one of my parents do this and she had been to see 7 other childminders and came back to me as she thought I was the best one for her. I would take it as a compliment.

sillysausage
19-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm with everyone else Minstrel.....don't put yourself down!! I would say that the fact that she wants 5 days not 2 should tell you that you are most definitely not a last resort. I would guess that she has spent the time visiting various childcare establishments and chosen you because you offer what she wants and needs!!

Chin up, you are doing a grand job!!:) :thumbsup:

Minstrel
19-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok.

I know you are al probably right. I just thought I'd be a lot more.... I don't know.....relieved I have work in the bag? Excited I have a very cute, well behaved 2 yr old coming? I'm not sure but it all seems a bit flat!

Never mind I'll try and perk up!

kindredspirits
19-03-2011, 05:48 PM
i remember about 18 months ago my work went right down to 2 days a week for one child - money was so tight and i had no enquiries for about 4 months. then i signed up a full timer who was really lovely but i was still 'waiting' for another one it was like i didn't really believe the full timer was starting - it didn't dawn on me that it was work in the bag iykwim.
18 months later she is still with me, parents are happy as larry and i have had plenty come and go since then. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
19-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Ok.

I know you are al probably right. I just thought I'd be a lot more.... I don't know.....relieved I have work in the bag? Excited I have a very cute, well behaved 2 yr old coming? I'm not sure but it all seems a bit flat!

Never mind I'll try and perk up!

maybe they just realised after meeting other minders that you really were no. 1 in the area :thumbsup: some parents hedge their bets. A mum met a friend of mine the other week. She is fab. The mum told her she'd get back to her as she had a few other minders to see over next few weeks. I don't understand this. Firstly I'd want to see minders close togehter so I could compare and secondly if I really liked someone I'd not want to lose them by keeping them waiting.

She's lucky you were still free- and I hope you told her so ;)

bakingmama
20-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Some of my mindees parents have been to see 7 childminders in our area before choosing me. They could also have considered using you and a nursery and then decided against the nursery and to just use your services instead.:clapping:

Anne x

miffy
20-03-2011, 08:35 AM
I think you're being way too hard on yourself Minstrel.

By the sounds of it mum has had to reconsider her days at work if she now wants full time. Meet her again and see what she says about the increase in days - it may all fall into place then and you might see that she wanted you all along but needed to sort her work out.

Miffy xx

Minstrel
20-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Well I'm feeling a bit better today, more positive. I've spent the morning making up a parent information pack and printing out all my forms that mum will need. The LO is incredibly cute and a lovely age, and I do need the work, so I must start to think more positively! I have another full time spot so I'm going to try and fill that too so i don't have all my eggs in one basket. :D

mufftie
20-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Just wanted to say good luck Hun x

Minstrel
20-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Just wanted to say good luck Hun x

Thank you- I needed that.

DH was also really encouraging last night. Said he was proud of me. I think I feel a bit 'kept' the last few months and it feels scary to be back out in the working world.

mrs_scottydog
20-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Hope all goes well with your new mindee. I'm sure once you get back into minding you'll feel a lot more positive. Hx

miffy
20-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Glad you're feeling more positive.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx

balijay
20-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Good luck Minstrel - hope all goes well for you. I too have just returned after 4 months of maternity leave and I have settled back into childminding really well (although waiting for my 2 new ones to start so not back up to full speed)! Sure it will be the same for you :)

Minstrel
21-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you all! :thumbsup:

Mummits
21-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi Minstrel - well done girl, and fingers crossed you find another soon.

I'm sure you will be fine once you get back into it; it must be hard getting your head around the idea of working again after a few months off - most of us struggle with Mondays!

Anyway, it's the right time of year for it. You can start looking forward to picnics and days in the park or at the paddling pool. :thumbsup: