PDA

View Full Version : childminding groups

Polly2
18-03-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.*************/get_involved/local_involvement/childminding_groups.aspx

Do any of you belong to a childminding group that you have set up on your own - not in conjunction with LA or ncma?

Are there many benefits iyo? Was it worth it? Is it hassle/paperwork you could do without? Have you been able to access training more easily as a group? Do you pay an annual fee?

Its something I am looking into so after pros/cons etc please :thumbsup:

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.*************/get_involved/local_involvement/childminding_groups.aspx

Do any of you belong to a childminding group that you have set up on your own - not in conjunction with LA or ncma?

Are there many benefits iyo? Was it worth it? Is it hassle/paperwork you could do without? Have you been able to access training more easily as a group? Do you pay an annual fee?

Its something I am looking into so after pros/cons etc please :thumbsup:

I am a member of a childminding support group which was set up by one of our development workers. She wanted to get together a group of minders in her area. We have been together about 5/6 years.

We had meetings to decide what we would call ourselves and where we would meet, would we charge for our sessions etc.

We meet twice a week in a creche room in the childrens centre, we have a fantastic time, its a broad range of children and minders from different walks of life and we all have something different to bring to the group, and we have all become very close.

We also meet to go to the park or on organised activities during school holidays and we meet out of work hours (just the minders) for nights out/meals etc.

One of the benefits of the group, I find but I know that other minders have also said this, IS the support as childminding can often be a very isolated lonely job, and we dont have a boss or manager to say "what do I do in this situation?"

This was brought home to me yesterday when I have had the problem with the parents, my family and close friends have been aware of upset I have had and immediately said "get rid!!!!!" cos they can see that at times its really got me down, but its very easy for someone to say that, they dont KNOW the job we do, they dont realise how stressful and very upsetting it is going through this situation. All the thoughts that run through your mind, all the scenarios you play out as to how things will go.

So yesterday it was a great support to me to go along to this group and speak to other minders and run it by them and ask how THEY would deal with things, and also if they agree with me, am I over-reacting, whats the legal stance etc etc etc.

We initially paid weekly because the room we used charged us rent, but then we were moved to the childrens centre and so we no longer needed to pay. We decided though that we would continue to pay 50p per week so that the money mounts up and we buy Easter Eggs, and a small Xmas present for the children.

We have never yet considered getting the insurance as a group, though it has been mentioned.

For me though the main advantage is the support, a little like a LIVE forum like this, you can go along and sound off to the other minders knowing that its in confidence, and ask their opinion and advice and get support and reassurance. Me feeling so low yesterday but being told by my fellow minders that I AM a good childminder and should not let this parent make me feel like her skivvy and worthless.

Polly2
18-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your post! Thats really interesting - so do you get any discounted training as a group? Have you got formal 'roles' secretary, treasurer etc? Do you do newsletters, share planning? Is it run by the DW?

Sorry for all questions! :blush:

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your post! Thats really interesting - so do you get any discounted training as a group? Have you got formal 'roles' secretary, treasurer etc? Do you do newsletters, share planning? Is it run by the DW?

Sorry for all questions! :blush:

Hey dont worry about it, ask away.

Yes we did allocate "roles", we had treasurer to look after money, the development worker sort of took control of the more "legal" side of things, i.e. getting all the group policies sorted, but that was more because she could get things printed, it was actually the members who decided what policies we wanted in place, she just got them printed out for us. To be honest I think in the beginning one of the other girls did the secretary side of things, but that now generally falls to me because I am the only one of the original minders that seems to spend OUT OF MINDING HOURS on the computer :laughing: :laughing:

Yes I have done Newsletters, mainly giving information about whats coming up, events we are planning and just like reminders of dates etc.

We DID used to get together to do planning, but we have sort of let that side slip recently due to things just cropping up, but we have said once we all get through the other commitments that are stopping us, then we will get back to planning. There is now only 3 of the original minders, and we would meet at one house and look at the month and decide what events/significant dates we had coming up and then plan the crafts/activities accordingly, it is generally me that does the craft planning cos I LOVE that side of things:)

The DW left and so now its OUR group, it always had really been ours she just gave birth to the idea, but we grew the baby:D

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Sorry missed a question.

We dont pay for training anyway here.

Polly2
18-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Thats brill! Thanks for the info. It sounds like exactly the type of thing we need. So your LA provide training do they? Thats something I was hoping to tap into as a group because there is no training here. I was hoping that if we were a recognised group we might be offered more courses like the nurseries do in my area.

We have a meeting tomorrow and this is something I want to bring up. Do you mind me picking your brains if any questions arise? If no-one is up for it then so be it - at least I will have tried :rolleyes:

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Do I heck mind you picking my brains, though I might not always be able to answer cos I forget the beginnings, too much alcohol and humour flowed since then:laughing: :laughing:

To me, its been a lifeline.

When I first registered a girl on my pre-reg and I got together and spent alot of time together, we would go to each others houses and plan activies so there was a larger group of children. When she stopped minding to become a nurse I felt so isolated. This group started just after
EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON

The people who I have met at this group have become VERY close friends and have supported me through work related issues and personal family matters, and I would be lost without them.

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Brain of a seive, yes the LA supply our training.

Polly2
18-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks hun! I will be in touch :D