PDA

View Full Version : Paying for training

the happy house
18-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Ok, so I know most LAs don't provide free first aid courses anymore, and had just about accepted that... but now our LA is charging childminders £40 just to be able to access training courses. And even then there's no guarantee we can get a place!
The £40 covers a year, and theoretically there is no limit to the number of courses we can go on, although realistically I'd probably attend one a year.

Anyone else finding this too?

When I was a CM a few years ago, we actually got paid to go on courses! Now it seems as though it's getting harder and harder to remain sustainable with all the additional costs that seem to be creeping in.

Having a grrrrr moment.

Pipsqueak
18-03-2011, 02:31 PM
its the same two words all over:

Budget Cuts

sadly...:(

CPD is going to go down the pan, once we have to pay out for the actuall course and then potentially loose a days wages as well because I am having a hard time believing evening and weekend training will still remain or be as plentiful (>??!!!) as it has been

or is that just me being cynical:rolleyes:

buildingblocks
18-03-2011, 03:10 PM
or is that just me being cynical:rolleyes:

Yep but sadly it is also very true. If they bring it in here then they will have to convince me that the trainings will be quality and worthwhile doing

loocyloo
18-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok, so I know most LAs don't provide free first aid courses anymore, and had just about accepted that... but now our LA is charging childminders £40 just to be able to access training courses. And even then there's no guarantee we can get a place!
The £40 covers a year, and theoretically there is no limit to the number of courses we can go on, although realistically I'd probably attend one a year.

where are you? for the past few years in hampshire we've had to pay a training subscription of £35 a year to access all courses, which were free. you used to get to go somewhere nice, and have a nice lunch, but now i'm told the venues are not so good, and you have to take your own lunch!

i've been told that there are no more first aid courses booked, so anyone who needs one, needs topay to do it:( ( however, i'm moving, so haven't even looked at courses since september! )

the happy house
18-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm not far from you... west sussex.

I can understand with the budget cuts that things will be scaled back, but we're constantly beng told that the aim is to get more highly qualified professionals, but we're losing the encouragement to do it.
In my old area we used to get paid £25 for each course we went on, this is a complete reversal.

Thinking I may have to review fees structure... don't know what we're going to end up having to apy for next!

miffy
18-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Blimey, I hope they don't bring in an access charge here :panic:

We're lucky atm as most of our training is provided free but I can't see that lasting especially as some of the courses I went on last year had only half the candidates turn up :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Mollymop
18-03-2011, 04:33 PM
We do get free courses at present here, they are the ones that cm's are expected to do such as Special needs, safeguarding and equalities and a few others but they are few and far between and very hard to get onto as you have to get in very quickly before they fill up for the year.:mad:

Other courses we have to pay £10 a time.
I am thinking of attending 2 of these courses in the next few months so that will cost me £20 for two 2hour courses. :(

wendywu
18-03-2011, 04:49 PM
We pay £15 per year and that covers any training we want to do. :D

Bushpig
18-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I just forked our £85 for my Advanced Paediatric First Aid course. Huge cost but a must have obviously.

caz3007
18-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I got this letter too Tracey and was a bit confused by it. I am assuming it doesnt cover the first aid. I looked at the training schedule and there is nothing that I would want to do at this point in time as all my required courses were updated last year and there was one other one that appealed but it was miles away and I cant get there (dont drive) and during the week too.

I think a call to the childrens information service is in order to discuss the options further. Gobsmacked they want us to pay so much 'just in case' there may be something we can do

the happy house
18-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I was confused too Caz. Took me a while to get my head around it.

The first aid is separate, and we now have to book first aid courses with the relevant trainers and pay whatever they charge (I did one recently for £80).

I'm guessing we don't have to pay the £40. It just means we won't be able to access training for the next year. My first aid and child protection are up to date si I may leave all training now until next year. I'm just sooooo broke at the minute and am just not getting children so there's not much point in my paying for training that I don't need.

caz3007
18-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I was confused too Caz. Took me a while to get my head around it.

The first aid is separate, and we now have to book first aid courses with the relevant trainers and pay whatever they charge (I did one recently for £80).

I'm guessing we don't have to pay the £40. It just means we won't be able to access training for the next year. My first aid and child protection are up to date si I may leave all training now until next year. I'm just sooooo broke at the minute and am just not getting children so there's not much point in my paying for training that I don't need.

I am off on Tuesday and will ring and find out the implications of not paying this year, but then doing it when we need it and pm you

christine e
18-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Blimey, I hope they don't bring in an access charge here :panic:

We're lucky atm as most of our training is provided free but I can't see that lasting especially as some of the courses I went on last year had only half the candidates turn up :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

and they have started charging for first aid now

Cx

Trouble
18-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I went to a meeting last night with the chairwoman of childrens services was there and its all changing not for the good i might add

but us dyslexia bunch gave her a hard time for sacking all off out dw and collegues:D :D :D

Bevbeetle
18-03-2011, 08:28 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: we have to pay £100 a year that includes courses but you have to do quality course attend 4 meetings a year 3 courses and have development worker round every month or pay £140 for a first aid course

a local private run nursery has offered 10 places to childminders for first for £55

keatingschick
19-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm in the North West, we dont pay for training and there seems to be ALOT of training offered, although saying that the important courses - Safeguarding and First Aid, arent offered that often, but we dont have to pay for any. There was a note saying that failure to turn up resulted in a fee of £25 but they have scrapped that now too.