PDA

View Full Version : My first no show?

keeks
18-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm sat here waiting for a mum and daughter who made arrangements to come for a visit at 10am today. Nothing yet, so I think perhaps it will go down in history as my First Ever No Show...

Luckily I'm not desperate so I'm not too worried. It is annoying though when you make all these preparations on your day off and then they don't turn up. I sort of had a funny feeling about this one even though she was nice on the phone and everything.

I won't be trying to contact them as I wouldn't want to take on a parent who is unreliable anyway - better to find out now.

Happy Friday guys!:D

xx

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I've had that. Got all set up for a parent to visit, printed out all my policies, got all my booklets out, files etc, got contracts and record forms out just in case, anything she might need. Got toys out, sent my family out of the way, and sat and waited and waited and waited.
I get quite nervous about new meets and so I wasn't very happy with the no-show. She actually contacted me a couple of days later saying she had changed her mind (she had initially been unhappy with her daughter in a nursery and desperately wanted to find alternative care) and was leaving her daughter where she was.
One of my parents actually told me that she knew the mother and child, and that the child had severe learning difficulties and asked if the mother had mentioned this. She hadnt, she had just not turned up. Maybe she felt with her daughters complex needs she felt she didnt want a childminder, but I would have appreciated a heads up.

Mouse
18-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Half an hour isn't too late for some people. They don't realise you might have something else to do and think "10 o'clock" can mean any time between 9.30am and lunch time!

I always try to contact parents if they don't show up and give them the benefit of the doubt first time. You never know, something might have happened to stop them from getting there. Mess me around for a second time though & that's it :laughing:

Katiekoo
18-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Oh poppet, that is disappointing. :(
I've had this a couple of times, once it turned out that I had misunderstood and got the wrong week! Another time the Mum called 10 mins after she was due to arrive saying "I hadn't realised how far away you are! I've put your address is the sat nav and says I still have 20 mins until I arrive!" :rolleyes: I have no idea where she was!
It's rearely personal, but I always get a cup of tea, put my feet up and take a look round my house and think well at least I've got the house clean and tidy! ;)

Flisspaps
18-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Give her a call, just be nicey nice and ask if everything's ok, as you were concerned when she didn't turn up ;)

LittleVoice
18-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I had this with my first family. I took on this family through the council, they were doing a parenting course and the council paid me for the child care. It was a 16 week placement. I arranged for the family to come for a visit first so i could meet the children but they didnt show. I rang the council who just brushed it under the carpet.
Their 1sat day came and went with no sign of them. I was so excited about my first family that i was dissapointed they didnt show up. Rang the council again and i was told in no uncertain terms it shouldnt be an issue as thet were still paying me. Anyway they turned up and hour late for their 2nd visit, and picked children up an hour early. they refused point blank for me to take photos, do observations etc. They said they didnt see the point in them. They never came back after that.
The council paid me for the full 16 weeks + 2 weeks over xmas. but i have to say i wont be doing any work for them again ever! i simply can't believe how rude they were to me or how laxadaisy they seemed to be about the whole issue.
Not planning on minding until next year now anyway as im due in 8 weeks with another DD so got my hands full with her, as well as 22mth dd, planning a wedding, studying f/t and buying another house. (must be mad!! :D )

keeks
18-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all your replies. Still nothing from this family. I don't know why but I just had a feeling they might not turn up. I don't think I'll chase them Flisspaps, as I am pretty busy as it is.

I'm never nervous when I'm meeting new parents and children, my only worries are usually about what if we don't "click" and they still want child to start. :eek:

I know what you mean Mouse, time keeping depend on cultural background and I'm not a very good Swede (we are supposedly very punctual, almost like the Dutch or German people who are late unless they are 5 min early for an appointment).

Katiekoo, I sat here looking around my flat thinking exactly what you said! :D

And good luck to you Hailee with your new baby, wedding and house buying (yes you probably are a little mad :laughing: )

xx

pinky33
18-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Omg would this explain why our Dutch dad is ALWAYS 15 late without fail lol.

keeks
18-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Omg would this explain why our Dutch dad is ALWAYS 15 late without fail lol.

Really? Dutch people are usually super early, perhaps that's why he had to move abroad! :laughing:

xx

kel1983
18-03-2011, 05:37 PM
We have had the sme happen to us today. Was due a visit from a family at 4pm and sat here waiting. She seemed so positive about meeting us and she was th one asking to come and visit with the children.

I have her phone number but think I will just send her a message through the childacre website instead so as not to put her on the spot.

Its just very annoying. She seemed like a reliable person on the phone to.