PDA

View Full Version : Minding over 8s

Flisspaps
17-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I've had a query from someone seeking care for a 10 year old, but on the basis of what my LA have told me, I can't care for her (yet was fine to look after 2 under 1s) :rolleyes:

When I did my pre-reg course, we were told that to look after over 8s as a registered childminder we needed to have a level 3 qualification, which I don't have.

Is this really the case? Seems a bit strange that you don't HAVE to register to look after over 8s, but if you do then you need to be more qualified.

I am only registered on the compulsory Childcare and Early Years registers at the moment. Would I have to register on the voluntary part as well? If so, how long would this usually take?

sarah707
17-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok... to care for children over the age of 8 you need to be registered on the Childcare Register.

most people are on that register - if you are not then you need to ring Ofsted and organise it.

The Childcare Register is split into 2 parts - compulsory and voluntary.

The qualification requirements (level 2 etc) only relate to the voluntary part... so yes in theory if you want to care for over 8s AND be registered on the voluntary register than you need to be more qualified than if you care for little ones...

However I have yet to find anyone being told they cannot care for over 8s... because it is a voluntary register, not a statutory requirement.

I would ring Ofsted in the morning, get yourself onto the Childcare Register and see if the child suits. At least then if your current mindees get to 5 you will still be able to care for them.

Hth :D

Flisspaps
17-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks Sarah. It just seems to be bonkers that you need to be more qualified to have older children than younger ones.

I've had a look at the online guidance on the Ofsted site with the application form, and it says either you should have a L2 qualification, OR training in the common core skills laid out by the CWDC, and looking at that document, it's basically safeguarding training and the like.

Will call them in the morning. Annoyed with the LA though, I may have lost customers through their mistake!

Flisspaps
18-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Sarah - have phoned Ofsted, they are emailing me a form, I can email it back and be on the Voluntary Register in 14 days time.

Thanks again :D