PDA

View Full Version : Angry at school (teacher) who banned my children from using school toilet ...!!!

pinkbutterfly
17-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I do two school runs ... first is to my DD's school and then a private school. My youngest daughter is 3 today. We went on the run as usual but when we got to the second school she said she needs toilet I said go and use one at school as she's done this before. She went in with the mindee who is a pupil there and decided she could use the toilet and my 7 yo wanted to follow her to assist (I had another little one in the pushchair so I stayed outside). My 7yo was turned back immediately she said the teacher said she can't go. Then the mindee and my 3yo came out and said the teacher said it's the last time ever she can use this toilet. I thought that was so PETTY! Just because I'm not a paying parent I guess ... The teacher in question conveniently disappeared so couldn't confront her about this. I asked another teacher and she said that may be because the toilets are busy at that time as there are only two cubicals for the whole school which is rubbish to be honest as most of the children already left the school.
I just don't get this ... it's one of the basic needs a human can have. It's unhealthy to hold it in. I would never deprive anybody of using the toilet at my setting ... yet she chose to ban my 3yo and my 7yo. Oh and also I would have preferred she said this to me ... not my children. I am absolutely fuming and feel like complaining to headteacher and higher. Or am I just overreacting ....? Wwyd?

caz3007
17-03-2011, 05:05 PM
It also happened at one of the schools I collect from, the office wouldnt allow a child who went to the feeder school to use the toilet whilst waiting for the older ones. Its not a problem now as they all moved into a new school and you can go to the toilets via the classrooms, so the teachers dont mind

kindredspirits
17-03-2011, 05:17 PM
next time take a potty and empty it in the carpark by said teachers car! :laughing: i'd go to the head and just confirm that the teacher is able to do this and explain that you are not happy with the situation.

flowerpots
17-03-2011, 05:46 PM
oh i dont think thats nice at all, how could you turna 3yo away and tell them not to use the toilet? were they messing around in there?

xxxxx

Zoomie
17-03-2011, 06:08 PM
i have to say that the teachers at our school are lovely and they allow my 3y to use the nursery toilets, though i always go in with them (well to the toilet area).

miss mopple
17-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Our school have the same rule. Nobody that isn't a pupil can use the toilet :angry:

Katiekoo
17-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Next time she needs a wee I would pull out a travel potty, (obviously while protecting little ones modesty), see how they like that!
But seriously, I would be very annoyed too. How petty.

pinkbutterfly
17-03-2011, 06:30 PM
No flowerpots ... they weren't messing around ... they go to the toilet, do what needs to be done, flush, wash hands and come out again. They don't go to other classrooms etc ... it's a quick in and out job.
I would have thought teachers would me more understanding about child's needs and abilities to hold it in. The very same mindee soiled herself a couple of months back because she didn't feel like going before we left school, it's a 30 minute walk to my house and nearest public facilities are 20 minutes walk from school and we didn't quite manage to get there in time ... not a nice job having to help to clean a school aged child after this and a very embarassing experience for her too.

Chell
17-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm amazed that some schools don't allow little ones to use the toilet. I often have to ask to take my daugter to the toilet. Standing in the cold in the playground often makes her need a wee.

miffy
17-03-2011, 09:44 PM
That is so mean.

I would go and see the headteacher and complain. Might even be tempted to say I was thinking of complaining to Ofsted and see what happens ;)

Miffy xx

Flisspaps
17-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Speak to the head (or the school office) and see what the school's policy is. It may be that the head says it's ok, but only if the child is supervised by you. It may be that they've had problems with other children using the facilities inappropriately (loo rolls down the loo, poo smears on the wall) and have decided to say no to everyone in the interests of fairness (although I do understand it doesn't seem fair when you have a child desperately needing the loo!)

SandCastles
17-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I've also have this problem with my local primary school, so I now take a potty and let them use it behind the cover of the pram and other adults who understand the situation, also sometimes my potty gets 'lent' to other mums and I now carry dettol wipes and kitchen roll to try to keep it hygienic for all to use, the only problem im now having it that my 3 yo nearly fills the potty with one 'sitting' and it may soon over flow! the contents gets poured down the drain in the playground! If we could use the toilets in the school, they will probably become quite busy with the under 3's but surely it would be better for the lo to use proper facilities to maintain their dignity.

keatingschick
17-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Did they say WHY she wasnt allowed to use the toilet?

My childrens junior school suddenly turned really funny about anyone other than pupils going into the cloakroom, it seemed to happen when they got a new head. Early on you would go through the cloakroom and nip to the classroom to speak to the teacher, but it suddenly changed and they said "you cant come in here, you have to go to the office and ask to speak to a member of staff" and said something about INSURANCE????????????
Personally I dont believe that but thats the excuse they used.

Rubybubbles
17-03-2011, 10:38 PM
That is so mean.

I would go and see the headteacher and complain. Might even be tempted to say I was thinking of complaining to Ofsted and see what happens ;)

Miffy xx

won't be Ofsted though if private, ISC I think?

haha is the school to posh for little ones to pee:rolleyes:

The Juggler
18-03-2011, 07:37 AM
That is so mean.

Miffy xx

I agree. if you are doing a nursery, junior and infant run in the morning it tots up to nearly an hour - how can little ones go that long without a wee. our school is really good, they will let them use the children's toilets in the classrooms before the bell goes.:thumbsup: