PDA

View Full Version : Schools on strike...tomorrow

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Schools in my area are going on strike tomorrow so I'll be back up to 8 children for the day again, with the adding complication of playgroup runs to do still! :idea:

The children think it's wonderful to be getting another day off school so soon after the holidays (they only went back on monday!)

We're making pizza dough tomorrow and then making our own pizzas for lunch, going to be rather busy with 8 children ranging from 18months to 9 years!

Whats your plans tomorrow if you have extra mindees due to school teacher strikes?

(secretly looking forward to earning a little extra tomorrow!) :D

Pipsqueak
23-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Only one of sons is of school! Told him he can go to work with his Dad!:D

angeldelight
23-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Our school is not on strike

It is raining too now so got the dreaded school run that thought I had got out of ha

Angel xxx

Twinkles
23-04-2008, 07:18 AM
I know I'll get panic phone calls tomorrow morning so I'm looking up which schools are closed.
My parents are so disorganised they probably have'nt even thought about it.

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 07:21 AM
I've had 3 phone calls in the last couple of days asking if I have room to take on extras for tomorrow.........I think 8 children for the day is enough though, so I'm turning them all down!

I even had one offer me double fee for an over 8.......tempting, but I still said no, I think some parents are getting desparate!

sarah707
23-04-2008, 07:22 AM
I haven't been asked to do anything extra - I will check at my main school this morning... my 2 at high school have been told to take a reading book - there will be staff for supervision but maybe not to actually teach them! :eek:

deeb66
23-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Jack is off school tomorrow.

Got letter home to say that as year 10 students are going through exams etc at the moment they are placing all available teachers to assist with this.

As there won't be enough teachers years 7, 8 & 9 will have to stay at home.

To say that Jack was pleased would be an understatement!

nell57
23-04-2008, 07:27 AM
All my mindees are of but ds has to go, so he's not impressed

I'll have 5 age 12months to 11years

might still do stuff about St george, as most are off today and I doubt they will have celebrated it anywhere else:rolleyes:

Helen

berkschick
23-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Only my eldest is off. I think running a secondry school while some teachers are on strike is more tricky than the Primary.

My boys arent impressed that they have to go in still though!

Jinx
23-04-2008, 08:15 AM
My youngest will be home but the others have to go to school. I only have 1 14mth old mindee on a thursday now and he's not coming tomorrow so I was going to have a nice day off!!!!!
Felt like I was being pointed at in the playground on Monday when the kids came out with the letter. Kept my head down and legged it home!!!! Extra money would have been nice, but I'm
HAVING A DAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bet it rains!:rolleyes:

Jinx x

Cazz
23-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Sorry, haven't started yet so I keep coming up with questions when I read things on here. In events such as this school strike can you take children for the day that do not normally come to you if you have spaces (ie the people that know you are a childminder but don't normally need one)? The reason I ask is that they wouldn't have filled out the paperwork etc.

I know they will cover this on my ICP course next month but I am desperate to find out as much as I can now!

venus89
23-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Sorry, haven't started yet so I keep coming up with questions when I read things on here. In events such as this school strike can you take children for the day that do not normally come to you if you have spaces (ie the people that know you are a childminder but don't normally need one)? The reason I ask is that they wouldn't have filled out the paperwork etc.

I'd like to know the answer to that too please!

I don't think our school is striking. Shame. My midees mum is a teacher so I'd have no work for the day and get some extra time in with my kids.

Tatia
23-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd do a temporary (1 page) contract in that event, Cazz, just to cover yourself. And you'll still need permisison to provide emergency treatment as well as permissions for any outings you might regularly do.

I'll have 4 older children all day along with the 1yo and nearly 3yo. Thank heavens my daughter has nursery! Then 3 more from a non-striking school who arrive via taxi at about 3:30!:eek: At least the 2 LOs will be gone by then.

devoncm
23-04-2008, 12:57 PM
i dont have this problem our school is still open

venus89
23-04-2008, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=Tatia;124959]I'd do a temporary (1 page) contract in that event, Cazz, just to cover yourself. And you'll still need permisison to provide emergency treatment as well as permissions for any outings you might regularly do.QUOTE]

I'm signed up for emergency childcare too so I'd do the same in the event anyone ever uses me for that? (at £9 an hour... I should be so lucky!)

ruby
23-04-2008, 03:47 PM
our school is on strike
so we will have our usual 6 plus 1 x 6yrs and 4 over 8
luckly some are coming only for the morning and some for the afternoon.

hoping the weather is fine then we can go to the park for some part of the day.

do have some activities planned but will go with the flow

cathy

haribo
23-04-2008, 05:35 PM
ive got the day off cos lo i have on thurs is teachers child lol. i was just thinking, can you imagine if childminders went on strike ???? x

Tily Bud
23-04-2008, 05:40 PM
My dd's school is off but my ds's school and the local state nursery are still open so not much change for me tomorrow apart from not having to do a school run in the morning . The parent of the child at nursery has also given me the ok to keep him off nursery if i want to go out for the day :D Other than that we will just go with the flow xx

susi513
23-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I always get ALL permission forms filled in before I look after a child. If its an emergency/last minute thing then the parent has to come in and complete when dropping their child off. Bit of a pia for the parent, but helps prevent problems later on.

I've now got my first member on my ad-hoc scheme - will start another thread on that.

avril
23-04-2008, 07:09 PM
My mindee's Mum is on strike herself (being a teacher) and is having lunch with her friend BUT she is picking up R at 2pm instead of 4pm :rolleyes:

Then I have the twins 3.30 til 5.30, we are making St Georges day cakes white icing and strawberry shoelaces I know it's a day late but they only come once a week and I promised them :D

Avril x:)

Mollymop
23-04-2008, 07:26 PM
My son Tim is off tomorrow, he's looking forward to it, can't blame him really, and I am looking forward to a lay in :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
23-04-2008, 07:31 PM
mine are in school:clapping: :laughing:

charleyfarley
23-04-2008, 07:33 PM
mine are in school:clapping: :laughing:

Mine too :clapping: :clapping:

Carol xx

nell57
23-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Mine too :clapping: :clapping:

Carol xx

You lucky thing

Think of me tomorrow stuck in with 5 of them age 1 to 11, especially if it rains:(

Helen

charleyfarley
23-04-2008, 07:54 PM
You lucky thing

Think of me tomorrow stuck in with 5 of them age 1 to 11, especially if it rains:(

Helen

Yeh but think of all that extra money :clapping:

Carol xx

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow now.........

Even though we've just had the holidays so I've done loads of activites with the older ones, we still have a load of things lined up for tomorrow!

We've got playgroup run, shopping for pizza stuff, making pizzas, making fruit kebabs, designing new name signs for coat hooks........

Can't go in the garden tomorrow as I'm having my drains dug up at the moment!

Lets just hope they don't tell me I can't flush the loo tomorrow...........that would be a nightmare! :eek: :eek: :eek: (panicking now as I hadn't thought of that!)

charleyfarley
23-04-2008, 09:38 PM
We had that when we had our new bathroom .

They smashed the old toilet to bits then realised some of the parts for new toilet were missing :eek: :eek: Had to flush the toilet with a bucket of water :laughing:

Luckily 2 still in nappies and after schoolers went after half an hour so no toilet needed.

It was all good fun, NOT

Glad you've got plenty to do tomorrow, children will have a great time

Carol xx

miffy
23-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't think our school is shut - would be just my luck that no-one's mentioned it!

miffy xx