PDA

View Full Version : PLAYHOUSE SAFETY

brighter
17-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a playhouse for my children 1, 3, and 5. Of course I have minding children too and wondered. What would you do?

Buy a playhouse with one floor or a two storey one? My children would love two floors with a ladder and thought I probably put a lock on it so I can lock it if I have very small children around or would you jsut go with the single storey one and be done with it?

Thank you. :blush:

Chell
17-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't think I'd have stairs, they would be a constant worry for my own little one and more so with other people's children. On the other hand, if you risk assess and are happy then go for whichever you like.

flowerpots
17-03-2011, 08:26 AM
i dont think i would feel comfortable with the ones with the ladder, i wouldnt be able to go to the loo or pop inside the house if the lo's were outside but im a bit of a worrier(sp?). :blush:

mama2three
17-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I wouldnt like the idea as you cant see inside the house and i think the ladder would need closer supervision.

kindredspirits
17-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I do like the ones with a second story - i wonder if you can get one that has a removable ladder - so just your older ones can go up and down outside of minding times?

brighter
17-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Thank you for your replies, I guess you are right about the ladder when the door is closed so I will just go for a single storey one, which fits better in the garden anyway.

I thought about a removable ladder too, but I am sure that wouldn't stop my older boys from getting up there anyway, as there will be a table in the playhouse which then of course could be used to climb up....

Ah well my bigger boys just have to see my neigbours playhouse if they are jealous of the ladder ;-)

:)

youarewhatyoueat
17-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I would go for the 2 storey one as its a great space for storage and it creates a den area underneath by putting a curtain up. Also the shed tends to be full height so you can get in and out better, also the older children can join in without banging their heads. You don't need to put the ladder up or the rail but the space will be useful for storing toys and then within easy reach.
I've had both sheds and would recommend the 2 storey. My girls were 18 months and 3 when I first had one and they were fine on the stairs. They just needed to be shown the safe way to get up and down and not to push.

Deb
17-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I have one with an upstairs and a ladder - which isnt vertical and does have sides. It is risk assessed and I didnt worry. The ones that can walk can be shown to get up and down safely.

Twinkles
17-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Funnily enough we were testing out playhouses today.

There is a garden centre near us where we can let the children play in a couple of the houses.

I think I would have a single storey one but my big thing would be one that has a door you can hook back iyswim. So the little ones can't keep opening and closing the door ( which is what my 18m old wanted to do all the time ) I feel I would be constantly writing about squished fingers in my accident book !