PDA

View Full Version : Childcare vouchers help

newbie1512
16-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi

Its me again. Just wondered if anybody knows how the childcare voucher scheme works? If a child is entitled to the free hours, are they unpaid hours to childminders? Im sorry if this is a daft question, my LO gets his free hours at nursery and it appears on my invoice but thats as much as I know

Id appreciate any light shed on this

Thanks in advance

guest4
16-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi!
I think that the 'free hours' you mention may be the 15 hours nursery education funding.
Every child is entitled to these from the term AFTER their 3rd birthday. These
can be claimed for at any local authority REGISTERED provider. Childminders MUST be accredited to be able to provide the funded hours and can only do this through the LEA, getting paid directly by the LEA!!

Hope this helps,
Tracey x

Mouse
16-03-2011, 08:54 PM
We don't have to be accredited to offer it, but have to have a level 3 qualification, be graded good or outstanding...and other conditions that I can't remember off the top of my head! It varies from Local authority to local authority, so you're best to check it out locally.

If you were able to offer them as a childminder (meeting all your local conditions) you would receive government funding at a set rate for 15 hours a week and would charge the parents for the rest.

newbie1512
17-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks ladies :) :)

guest4
17-03-2011, 09:15 PM
We don't have to be accredited to offer it, but have to have a level 3 qualification, be graded good or outstanding...and other conditions that I can't remember off the top of my head! It varies from Local authority to local authority, so you're best to check it out locally.

If you were able to offer them as a childminder (meeting all your local conditions) you would receive government funding at a set rate for 15 hours a week and would charge the parents for the rest.

In reply..... in Oxfordshire we DO have to be accredited, the rest of the things mentioned there are what we needed to have done to become a Network Childminder!!
As an Accredited Childminder, you can apply for any amount up to the 15 hours statutory funding per week per child :cool:

Tracey x

newbie1512
18-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies

How do you become accredited? Is it something that new childminders can do?

Thanks again :)

Mouse
18-03-2011, 09:01 AM
In reply..... in Oxfordshire we DO have to be accredited, the rest of the things mentioned there are what we needed to have done to become a Network Childminder!!
As an Accredited Childminder, you can apply for any amount up to the 15 hours statutory funding per week per child :cool:

Tracey x

Thank you Tracey, I was pointng out that it varies from area to area. As many Networks are now being disbanded, local authorities are changing the criteria. After the end of March, it may not be possible for childminders in some areas to offer the free places at all. The OP needs to check with her local authority :thumbsup:

Mouse
18-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies

How do you become accredited? Is it something that new childminders can do?

Thanks again :)

As above, check with your local authority as it varies from area to area. Some say you have to have been minding for at least a year, but other will accept you to do it if you have childcare experience. Try phoning your local early years team :thumbsup:

JulieA
18-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Where I am you have to be a member of the local network, be qualified to NVQ Level 3 and have been childminding (or other early years experience) for at least 2 years in order to be Accredited. Once you are Accredited you can then apply to offer the Free Funding Entitlment.