PDA

View Full Version : Really fed up now! - bit long

Tealady
16-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Can't seem to get my business off the ground :(

Started minding three years ago. I've had a a few schoolies come and go. Fell pregnant 6 months after starting just as my full timer emigrated so nobody wanted to sign a pregnant Childminder so never got past the inital phonecall. Last year was really quiet, jobs round here insecure so families we uusing grandparents or redundant aunts/uncles. :(

Since January had 6/7 enquiries but my school run has put one lot off. Not enough other children for an after-schoolie. Other enquiries have come from families where our respective locations aren't condusive or their family too big for my little car. Had one lady want me ah-hoc (:clapping: better than nothing). She's just emailed me to say she's pregnant again so doen't want to settle her daughter anywhere for the sake if a few weeks :ohdear: (but pleased for mum though!). Another had two under fives. She was going to work back in her husband business. They came for a settling in session, it went really well, then Mum didn't want to return to work after all.

I had one other promising potential mindee but after an inital quick meeting and a full on 2½ hour one a few weeks ago, I've not heard anything. :mad:

I mind a lovely 7yr old boy four before school sessions a week. He's been with me 2½ years and part of the family, but after expenses I bring in £2.34 an hour from him.

My registration and insurance renewals are due at the end of May. Don't know whether to pack it all in and not bother renewing and termnating my one mindee, or hang in there. I really would love to be a childminder but it just ain't happening.

christine e
16-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh dear things are not going well for you. Where are you advertising? Have you tried netmums? What about a poster in your car and a leaflet drop?

Hope things pick up for you soon

Cx

caz3007
16-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hang in there. Last year I dont think I had one call all year, but I was ticking along and managing financially. Around Christmas it went haywire and I signed up 2 reasonable hours and now as full as I want to be at this time.

Hopefully things will pick up for you and hopefully before your renewal dates

The Juggler
16-03-2011, 10:10 PM
there are a few members on here who, when about to give up, got several enquiries. will keep everything crossed for you :)