PDA

View Full Version : What's this 2 hour rule when you don't need to register as a childminder?

pinkbutterfly
16-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I got myself a bit confused ... look at Ofsted's guidance about who doesn't need to register. Maybe someone will enlighten me. Does the 2 hour rule apply for children who are not in EY group ... or for over 8's only? I have a friend who was told her English is not good enough to be a registered childminder and I'm trying to work out what else she can do to stay within the rules ...

Pipsqueak
16-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Who told your friend that her english is not good enough? was it an official ruling?

for your questions I think you might be better of speaking directly with ofsted and getting direct clarification howver someone on here will be along soon who can answer it.

Kes
16-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I have spoken to Ofsted before on this and you can look after children for up to 2 hours a day without being registered. However I'm sure that I have read somewhere that there is a maximum time you can do this for in a year so might be worth checking out what this maximum time is.

aunt sally
16-03-2011, 01:11 PM
It applies to any age, if you only look after a child for under 2 hours in a day then you don't need to be registered with Ofsted. Very tricky though if a parent is late to collect a child and you go over your time or they ask you to have them longer. You would not be allowed to do this.

pinkbutterfly
16-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Who told your friend that her english is not good enough? was it an official ruling?

Ofsted said that on the phone when I ran to ask them as her local council (apparently) doesn't deal with helping to register new childminders (I thought that was odd). Ofsted said if she couldn't ring them herself then her English is not good enough. I thought that was a bit silly thing to say ... she just wasn't comfortable talking on the phone. But there you go ....

Pipsqueak
16-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Ofsted said that on the phone when I ran to ask them as her local council (apparently) doesn't deal with helping to register new childminders (I thought that was odd). Ofsted said if she couldn't ring them herself then her English is not good enough. I thought that was a bit silly thing to say ... she just wasn't comfortable talking on the phone. But there you go ....

It could be that her LC is not putting on any more courses or sessions for childminders.

I find it very hard to believe that Ofsted would have been that blunt - did youyou tell them that her English was not that good and they have made a (very bad) assumption which could almost be taken as disciminatory. I know there are minimum requirements such as good English, etc but I am having difficultly in reconciling that ofsted have said that so directly and without speaking with your friend.

I would advise your friend to ring the early years team in the council herself and speak to ofsted and see where she goes from there. Because based on their assumption amd what you have said about her English then that should not be a problem

Hebs
16-03-2011, 02:44 PM
The 2 hour rule is for any age

Thats why play areas in shops have a 2 hour limit!