PDA

View Full Version : eyfs training or not???

jaja
22-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi

This may a daft question BUT do we have to do the eyfs course? i never did the birth to three course, i opened the file read through and implimented into what i was doing (with help from websites like this, other childminders and bromley website!) i carnt see a way of doing it, if i need to arrange childcare for my lo and ds, hubby works and by the sound of it most sat are going to be full anyway:mad: .

Is it compulsery? (sorry about spelling!) how many of you are def going to be doing it? and if so is it booked in the week or a sat?

any advice please

xxx

sarah707
22-04-2008, 09:09 PM
It's not compulsory but it's being very heavily pushed... I told my local bod that I really wasn't interested / couldn't make the Saturdays etc and she was horrified and rang me back with first refusal on alternative sessions...

I seem to be booked for 3 Thursday nights now! :rolleyes: Still not sure how that happened! :D

jaja
22-04-2008, 09:16 PM
a night time would be fantastic for me, but i doubt they do them in my area, the courses that are around me means traveling about 30 miles for the nearest course, so it puts me off. plus anything more than 20 miles and id get lost!! lol :blush:

jen
xxx

angeldelight
23-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I know the feeling Jen

Mine are miles away or start at 6 so would mean I would have to start out at 5 to get there on time

I dont finish work till 6.30

Always a pain and unsure why they are always so far away

Angel xx

Twinkles
23-04-2008, 07:32 AM
I think I'd panic about not coping with it all if I didn't go on the training.
I agree the courses are all too early and as much as I resented giving up my Saturday I went to one a few weeks ago.
Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get there on a Saturday.

nell57
23-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I would need to go, just so I am sure to take it all in.

Stoke have not put any training days on as of yet, but I'm kinda lucky because it is such a small area I wont have far to travel and ds is 16 so he doesn't rely on me

Helen

ma7ie
23-04-2008, 07:58 AM
In my area we have been told they are mandatory. I've had my introductory to the EYFS training which didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know and I've got 2 more dates in May and June for more training.

Must be different rules in different areas.

Banana
23-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I cant be bothered to go either!!

But i am going because you never know - it might actually be useful :)

x

flora
23-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Just done two nights in Gainsborough Jennie,

Was helpful to a point, clarified some things and not others. Feel more confident about all the obs and planning as I've never really done b23 as I've never had the age group here.

It's not compulsory in Lincolnshire, but if you feel you need it there are loads of dates in the training directory. Loads of locations too :thumbsup:

lilliuspillius
23-04-2008, 10:27 AM
i think its improtant ot go, if you can. Mine is not until July.

deeb66
24-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I also think that it is important to go if you get the opportunity.

You never know it might turn out to be worthwhile :thumbsup:

Mollymop
24-04-2008, 03:15 PM
In my county it is compulsary to do the EYFS course. There are 4 sessions, but we only have to do the first 2, after that it is optional.
My sessions were on a Saturday

disney
24-04-2008, 06:30 PM
i was told last week by ofsted that it is a a requirment that it has to be started by september or you have to have your name down on the wating list . im on the list , dont want to do it but have to never mind :( x

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I can't find any EYFS training courses in my directory.........:rolleyes:

venus89
24-04-2008, 06:37 PM
It's not compulsory here in Kent but I'm going, if I can get on the Saturday morning course. they've run out of EYFS packs, none will be available until the summer, and I need some idea of what I'm meant to be doing! Besides, I reckon it will score a Brownie point with Ofsted.....

bubbly
24-04-2008, 07:50 PM
In my county it is compulsary to do the EYFS course. There are 4 sessions, but we only have to do the first 2, after that it is optional.
My sessions were on a Saturday
4 sessions? :eek:

I'm in cambs and only knew about 2. I'm booked on 2 in June (or is July, can't remember without looking on my calendar). What are the other 2 sessions?

Pauline
25-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I think it depends on how confident you feel after reading the booklets.

Time is going to tell how much training you need, if you inspection is due soon then I think you ought to go on some training, if you have recently had your inspection then perhaps you can afford to wait and see how you feel with what you are doing.

Personal preference I suppose - unless like some it's compulsory!

I've been told that they are planning to put on many more EYFS courses plus more first aid. Funding is being moved from other courses to be able to provide more EYFS and First Aid. Apparently from Sept (EYFS start month) all teachers must now have paediatric first aid training too, it seems they don't have to at the moment. So there is going to be a rush for courses so they need more.

nannan
25-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I feel that its important if we get the opportunity to go on the training, as Dee said it might work out to be worthwhile. at least we will all be singing of the same songsheet even ofsted, once they have had they training haha

buildingblocks
29-04-2008, 04:02 PM
To be honest whether or not it is compulsory in your area i should think that Ofsted will want to see you have attended at least some training on the EYFS. Might be wrong though!!!!!

MissTinkerbell
30-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm Peterborough and we have to do it too, as part of qualifying for the start-up grant. However I've managed to get a special dispensation and don't have to do it because I did 2, 2 day courses and 6 twilight sessions when teaching plus working in the classroom with it for 14 weeks.

However if I'd not done anything on it, I think that it would probably be best to do one.

bubbly
30-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Meggiemoo, where in Peterborough are you? I'm in Peterborough too.

MissTinkerbell
30-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Not actually Peterborough as I'm in Wittering but we fall under P City Council. You?

bubbly
30-04-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm in Orton Brimbles, Peterborough

MissTinkerbell
01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Not heard of that one! Whereabouts is it close to?

bubbly
01-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Not heard of that one! Whereabouts is it close to?
Next to Orton Wistow :laughing:

MissTinkerbell
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
:laughing: Anywhere near Ferry Meadows as I know most of the Ortons are in that neck of the woods?

bubbly
01-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'm right by Ferry Meadows :)

MissTinkerbell
01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Wow - what a great place to be. You must spend loads of time there in the summer. My eldest, at 5 would live at Ferry Meadows if she could!!!

bubbly
01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, we go to Ferry Meadows quite a lot, weather permitting.
The ducks are getting very fat at my expense :laughing:

I used to live in Orton Wistow until about 18 months ago, which was even closer.