PDA

View Full Version : Scoulded skin syndrome -HELP

lou246
16-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Hiya! Does anyone know anything about scolded skin syndrome and whether of not it is contagious?

Thank you

Blaze
16-03-2011, 09:53 AM
It's HIGHLY contagious & SPREADABLE on the child that has it, it's hard to contain to the nappy area alone...the LO with it will need specific antibiotics & metanium nappy cream is the best thing for the soreness.:thumbsup:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001352.htm

&

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001352.htm

(My son had it lots as a babe, due to his allergies - it's a long explanation LOL)!

HTH:)

Andrea08
16-03-2011, 10:18 AM
never heard of it .... i learn somthing new every time i look on the forum TY Blaze x

lou246
16-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I thought it might be contagious! My mindee has been in hospital all week because he has it but his mum tells me it's not contagious???

Really don't know, I only have him once a week and that's only because his mum needs a break, I'm hoping she's being honest with me but I have to check anyway, could ring the docs and ask or ofsted perhaps?

christine e
16-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Well I had never heard of it but have just done a 'google' and think you would be best waiting until it clears up

Cx

rickysmiths
17-03-2011, 01:21 AM
It is extremly dangerous and can turn to Blood poisoning very quickly in a small baby if they are not put on AB fast, can result in death.

My dd was suspected and I have never known my GP arrive at the house so quick-in the days when they did their own house calls.

He was with us within 5mins of us calling, stripped her off to look and then quietly said (it was the middle of the night!) 'now you can make me a coffee!'

She had a viral rash but if it had been Scalled skin he would have called 999 and he said cause she was so small it would have been unlikely she would have made it. :panic:

lou246
17-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh no that's so scary! :eek:

I don't know what to do now, if the mum has told me it's not contagious how do I go about telling her she's wrong without actually saying she's wrong :blush:

It's totally come at the wrong time as I was thinking of ended our contract too, now I don't think I should in case she thinks it's because of this?

Pleeeeeease someone tell me what to do for the best?

:panic:

Blaze
17-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Just tell her that you can't take the LO as it is contagious & she needs to be aware of that.

Blaze
17-03-2011, 09:04 AM
...As I said in my post, my son used to get it lots, because his allergies would cause his nappy area to be raw then bacteria through his stools would enter the soreness & then we would get scalded skin syndrome - I was told by his consultant that I should be v. proud as not once did it spread past his nappy area...Now I have extensive experience & I wouldn't want to care for a LO (mindee) with it - it's v. painful for them, quite aside from the risk of it spreading!

..Tell her you sought advice, as you'd never heard of it & have been told that you need to exclude as it's highly contagious!:thumbsup:

The Juggler
17-03-2011, 11:41 AM
OMG I had never heard of this. Def. exclude and hope LO is better soon.:(

lou246
17-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Right after a whole day of making phone calls and quite literally getting no where I've decided I need to write the mum a letter!

NCMA advised I ring the NHS direct and ask them if it's contagious and even they don't know for sure but I'm with all you on here and really don't want to have him while he's got it!

So now I have to word this letter ending the contract and saying the 4 week notice will have to be covered by a doctors note saying it's not contagious?
Oh and just in case I didn't mention, the illness is nothing to do with cancelling the contract it's because he's only with me 6 hours a week and I've got a full timer wanting to start :blush:

Can anyone help with the wording of the letter? I think my heads close to exploding today, didn't help with my car breaking down at a busy road on traffic lights this morning :rolleyes:

Blaze
17-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Just realised I gave the same link twice - you will note the link below states that it is contagious:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec18/ch211/ch211k.html

lou246
17-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Just realised I gave the same link twice - you will note the link below states that it is contagious:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec18/ch211/ch211k.html

Thank you blaze xxx

Deb
17-03-2011, 07:35 PM
It flaming well is contagious! Jim had it when he was 2, Jack (1) was with me when I got to the hospital and he was taken in too.

Unfortunately for me the doc who saw us didnt realise what it was and I was arrested and the chidlren taken off on their own. I DID know what it was and hoped against hope that they would work it out and let me too my boys - I was breasfteeding them both at the time.

It's a staph a infection, the same family of bugs as mrsa - the 'sa' in mrsa is Staphylococcus aureus.

As a family we carry it in our noses, and were all treat with bactroban. It's common to carry it and have no harmful effects.

Jimmy ended up in ITU fighting for his life very quickly.

lou246
18-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Oh my god that's so bad, thank god it got sorted out for you xxx

Why on earth would the mum tell me it wasn't contagious then? Surely the hospital would have told her it was?

Any advice on how to word a letter on ceasing her contract and the 4 week notice and not wanting to look after her little boy would be HUGELY appreciated!

:(

Xxx

Goatgirl
18-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Lou :),
In your position I would write 2 letters. Each issue is separate and that would be the best way to keep them separate IMO.

I would also call the Mum and just explain both situations. I'd tell her about the notice first. Say that obviously you'll out everything in writing but you're ringing to let her knowthat you will be giving notice, quite unrelated to LO's illness. It is unfortunate timing that lo is ill and that you have 'taken advice' and after careful consideration you can't have LO back until his condition has cleared up. Its daunting to do these things at first but you will get better at it :). Just be calm and firm when you explain. ...You have a duty to other children and you have your own family to think about.

As you are coming to the end of the contract, perhaps you could compromise on fees due in the circumstances... but that's up to you: what you can afford and whatever you have in your contract..

The letter for termination can be quite brief:

'Dear X,
Due to personal circumstances I am writing to inform you that I will be unable to provide care for little x from (date).
As per our contract I am giving you x weeks notice. Therefore the final day of care will be (date). Fees will be £xxx, due on (date).

I have very much enjoyed looing after little x and wish you both/all well for the future.

Regards, .............'

The letter about the exclusion for sickness should be as simple and make sure you're careful to say exactly what you mean.
I would just write a brief line or two mentioning your duty of care to other mindees, reminding her you are a well child setting and referring her to your sickness policy. include a copy if you can. Then wish her little one to get well soon and say you will be happy to take him back (during the otice period) once he is well in himself and she can provide you with a doctors letter confirming that the infection is no longer present.

Hope this helps: obviously ignore anything or everything I've said, this is just my opinion after all. You must do what feels right to you :thumbsup:

Be strong and good luck :)

best wishes,
Wendy

lou246
18-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you Wendy I took all your advice ;)

Unfortunately the mum hasn't taken too kindly to my letters and seems to think I'm messing her about??? I'm not sure how, I've really tried to be fair! Now I feel really bad and don't know what to say and kind of feel a bit scared that she might come knocking at the door :panic:

I love childminding but this has been horrible! I'm sure I'll get used to it, I'll have to :(

Goatgirl
19-03-2011, 06:55 PM
hi Lou :),
I don't see how you're messing anyone about. Sounds like the Mum is, trying to tell you her LO can come to you while he's poorly and taking offense that you wont accept him while contagious. :rolleyes:

Did you call her first? It can be a shock to get a formal letter from someone you have a friendly spoken relationship with.

Tbh, she's probably just stressed from Lo being so ill and now having to look for new childcare. Not to mention having to pay a notice period that her son is unable to use. But none of that is your fault, just circumstances....

Try not to feel bad. You've done what you had to do, and on the upside, now that notice is sorted, you can count down the days to when you don't have to give it another thought... :thumbsup:

lou246
19-03-2011, 09:42 PM
hi Lou :),
I don't see how you're messing anyone about. Sounds like the Mum is, trying to tell you her LO can come to you while he's poorly and taking offense that you wont accept him while contagious. :rolleyes:

Did you call her first? It can be a shock to get a formal letter from someone you have a friendly spoken relationship with.

Tbh, she's probably just stressed from Lo being so ill and now having to look for new childcare. Not to mention having to pay a notice period that her son is unable to use. But none of that is your fault, just circumstances....

Try not to feel bad. You've done what you had to do, and on the upside, now that notice is sorted, you can count down the days to when you don't have to give it another thought... :thumbsup:

Hiya! Thanks for your message :)

Yes I told her first and I even told her she didn't owe me anything while her son was not in my care. She doesn't work and I only have him one day a week to give her a break from him, I've really tried to be reasonable. She now doesn't want me to have him at all over the notice period so it seems that's that!
x

The Juggler
19-03-2011, 11:15 PM
oh hon I feel for you. by rights you COULD charge her whilst he is not well. I gave a months notice to a child a few years back then he had a really bad case of impetigo. I asked her to collect him and take him to docs and she said 'sounds like you are just trying to think of reasons not to have him' :(

the impetigo patch was a good 6 inches across his tummy at this point:eek: but i guess they think that you have given notice and don't want them anymore:rolleyes: