PDA

View Full Version : notice advice

Ava's Nana
15-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Wonder if any of you lovely ladies could offer me some advice on this:
I’m going to need to give one of my mums notice, (4 wks) the reason being that I have her 2 children after school till 5pm but as of sept when the eldest goes to secondary school I’ll only be having the 1 until 5pm, now the school is 7 miles away so I’ll be travelling 70 miles per week to and from the school and only be getting paid £40pw, I have no other children from this school and what with the price of petrol I don’t think its worth my while.
I want to give notice so that my last day having them will be when the children break up for summer holidays, on the 22nd July, but I go on holiday the end of June for 3 weeks and I’m back a week before they break up so that would mean I would only be able to mind the children for one week of the 4 weeks notice...do you think it would be wrong of me to do this or should I work it so the notice period finishes just before I go on hols? Don’t know what to do for the best :panic: :panic: :panic:

rachelle
15-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Give notice now - that's loads more than 4 weeks - you can carry on until end of school year but just word letter as 'I am giving you way more than 4 weeks notice cause I am nice' - but in professional speak! :)

miffy
16-03-2011, 07:46 AM
NCMA's advice is that the notice period should not include any holidays on either side so I would do as the op has suggested and give notice now (or straight after Easter) so that they have plenty of time to make other arrangements

Miffy xx

Ava's Nana
16-03-2011, 08:08 AM
thanks for your advice :D think thats def the best thing to do. if i were to give notice now for the 22nd july, because thats well over 4wks is it possible that after 4 wks mum could just arrive any friday and say mindee is starting with new cm monday, basically can she then leave me anytime after 4 wks or will she have to abide by the notice i have given? :confused:

mama2three
16-03-2011, 08:32 AM
During this period she can give you 4 weeks notice to finish sooner , but cant just 'stop'. Thats my understanding of it , unless someone with greater wisdom corrects me!!

Alibali
16-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd be honest and tell her now, and I'd give her the choice of finishing when you go on holiday if that suits her better. My guess is that she wont find another cm before the end of term so she doesn't disrupt things for the older child. Hope it works out well x

Ava's Nana
18-03-2011, 08:18 AM
thanks everyone. i told mum yesterday as i didn't want to just hand her a letter and i'm giving her it in writing tonight. i decided to give her 6 weeks notice, that will include 1 week while she's away on hols. this way the two girls will be together for a while with a new cm, little ones very shy so thought it would be better for her to be with her sister until she settles instead of going to a new cm on her own in sept. it wasn't easy, infact we were both very upset lol but it had to be done. :(

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 10:25 AM
thanks everyone. i told mum yesterday as i didn't want to just hand her a letter and i'm giving her it in writing tonight. i decided to give her 6 weeks notice, that will include 1 week while she's away on hols. this way the two girls will be together for a while with a new cm, little ones very shy so thought it would be better for her to be with her sister until she settles instead of going to a new cm on her own in sept. it wasn't easy, infact we were both very upset lol but it had to be done. :(

Glad it went ok. I'm just in the middle of a notice issue and its not ok:(
I'm just in the process of trying to work out the notice period as my holiday falls slap bang in the middle and then throw in a couple of bank holidays for good measure so I am well confused!!

Also I am struggling to round off the letter lol. I've given details but its just the sign off that I am struggling with. It just sounds very clinical. The thing is someone gave you an example but it was finished off with good will....at the moment the atmosphere is electric and so I am struggling with signing off.