PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please

crazyhazy
15-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I have a just turned 1yr old mindee who is lovely and good natured but is always pulling hair and hitting, mainly directed at my own 2.5 and 4y olds. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on how to deal with it, with her being so young I'm finding it hard, at the moment I am moving her away and saying no we don't hit/pull hair etc. It's driving me mad at the moment and feel so sorry for my youngest cos if she even goes to walk past, mindee will grab a chunk of her hair :(

sarah707
15-03-2011, 08:47 PM
It's difficult with such a little one. Can your dd tie up her hair or can you plait it for her maybe?

The most effective way of dealing with it is shadowing where you are literally behind the child all the time watching for triggers... once you have identified them you can then hopefully jump in there before they happen.

Hth :D

crazyhazy
15-03-2011, 08:57 PM
thanks, there doesn't actually seem to be a trigger other than every time she spots them getting within reach lol, she can be sitting having lunch in the highchair and they'll go to walk past or stop and say hello and get their hair yanked in response, just as well they are very tolerant and still love her. Here's hoping this phase passes quickly!

JCrakers
16-03-2011, 09:45 AM
It will soon pass....I would just continue with what you are doing. Get down to eye level and Say 'No' and take him away from the child whose hair he has pulled. It is exhausting but if you continue this it should stop :D

Make sure your facial expressions matches your voice, a lot of time parents say no to their little ones with a grin on their face which is basically sending mixed messages.

I always make sure I get down to their level and just say no we dont pull hair and make sure my face is saying the same as its usually the expression more than the words tha kids pay attention to.

Becky x