PDA

View Full Version : Please help, EYFS training?

PinkFairy24
15-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi all!

I have registered as a childminder and am advertising for mindees when I finish work in six weeks! :laughing:

Does anyone know of any EYFS training though as my district doesn't offer this anymore due to budget cuts, or anything that will help? I did the last on-line training in home based childcare which didn't cover the EYFS so I don't really have a clue :eek: Ofsted said this shouldn't matter but I will need to read up on it so that I get to grips with it to cover the LJ's and planning etc. They were happy to register me after seeing my certificate, but I just feel that I have missed out so much :o

I am trying to make some sense out of it, but am completely lost as to working out the ages of the children. Is there any books etc which puts all this in simple terms?

Thanks, love Claire X x X

sarah707
15-03-2011, 06:34 PM
It is a requirement to do the introduction to childminding course within 6 months of registration.

You need to get back to your local people and ask them how you can do it!

Good luck :D

PinkFairy24
15-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Sarah, thanks for replying! Hhmm just went to look at my certificates just in case as I thought I needed to do something else as well.

I have one that says Introduction to Childcare Practice (home based) which carries 2 credits at level 3. It says it is part of the CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Home Based Childcare. Ofsted said that this was all ok even though they know that it didn't cover anything to do with the EYFS.

Maybe I should get in touch with them as I know they don't have any money to pay for me to do some training but I will pay for some myself to make sure that I know what I am doing!

Love Claire X x X

sarah707
15-03-2011, 08:44 PM
That's good if you have the introduction course... you have ticked the statutory requirement box.

If you are insured with Morton Michel they have some excellent free Eyfs training guides which might help you.

Otherwise I'd check to see if there is any Eyfs training locally available.

I understand the Penny Tassoni Eyfs book is excellent as well. :D

missymood
15-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Get the book by Penny. It's great:thumbsup:

PinkFairy24
16-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Aww thank you very much!! Have just emailed the Bexley lady I first saw to register and have asked about any training. Hehe I did say that I am more than happy to pay for it!!

Will check out the book!

Love Claire X x X

Zoomie
16-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Read the EYFS frame work book, over and over again, and make sure you adhere to all the welfare requirements (read through it and underline whenever it says 'written'. these will form part of your policy and procedures and risk assessments.

Also look at the development matters grids (gives all the areas of learning and development and spreads it out against different ages). this is linked to observations, and next steps.

Its all very daunting when you first start. (I recall reading the EYFS when I was registering and wondering if it was actually in english - I really struggled). If you have a Development Worker (ours falls under NCMA) ask if they can come round and you can have a discussion, or there might be a support childminder who helps new minders get to grips with things.

Unfortunately there are lots of cut backs at the moment and not many courses run, but lots of reading (including on this site) is key.

Sarah707 has some ebooks too, I am sure there are ones explaining the EYFS is plain simple language :D

Andrea08
16-03-2011, 10:15 AM
ditto....also try and get on the NVQ level 3 or what your area is setting up,

loads of help ere too but as mentioned read through the EYFS pack and CD everything you need is in it, and if you dont understand parts come bk to the forum and we will try and break it down into understandable parts, good luck x

PinkFairy24
19-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Thank you for all your help!

Have been told by the childminder co-ordinator that the level 3 diploma that I have is all ok and I don't need to do anything else, great!

i did ask her about any training on the EYFS and she sent me a link to the virtual college which offer on-line courses. It was strange as I had already seen it and wanted to do a course! She said that they don't endorse anything but it looked good to her.

I have just completed the 'Enriched Play and Learning 0-2 Years' with them and it was really good! It covered the basics of the EYFS and gave loads of tips about toys. Am going to do the 'Child development' course now as well!

Feeling much better about everything now :laughing: Love Claire X x X