PDA

View Full Version : First minded children tomorrow - child protection

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Just had a phonecall from a local surestart, as a one off all day tomorrow I'll be having three children who are apparently quite unsettled.

Just a bit nervous, what do I do if they start asking questions? Their mum is in court tomorrow morning.
What's the best thing to do, take them out and about all day?
I don't have a double pushchair and I have a 10 month old, so all day tomorrow I'll have a 10 month old, a 1 year old, 3 year old and 4 year old.

(Bet you're all jealous LOL!)
I can put my 10 month old in my Moby wrap and have the 1 year old in our pushchair, but not sure what I can do with them all. Park maybe?

caz3007
15-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Just a thought do you have a variation in place to have 4 under 5's as I notice you are only newly registered.

Other than that, I would perhaps organise a picnic in the park if the weather is nice and just say mummy has had to go out if they ask questions. It will be hard work if you havent met the children at all, hope all goes well :D

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh, balls. I forgot about my own child!

Mouse
15-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree you need to make sure you're within your numbers to take on 3 children. Is the 4yr old normally at full-time school?

As you don't know the children, I would avoid taking them out straight away. You don't know how well they walk, will they stay with you etc. What would you do if the 3 & 4 yr old ran off in different directions and you had a baby strapped to you & another one in the pushchair? Are the 3 & 4 yr old in pants, will you need to find a toilet while you're out? These are all things you get to know when you've looked after a child for a while, but difficult to know on a one-off day.

I would plan to spend the day at home where you have everything you need to hand. Get some craft activities ready, but keep everything very flexible and let the children lead you with what they want to do.

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 02:09 PM
A friend of mine who is also a childminder is going to take my 10 month old tomorrow, in return I'll have her son for a full day instead of paying.

I'll try and plan some activities to do then tomorrow inside.

Goatgirl
15-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news nicole, but your LO counts in your numbers whether she's home with you or not :(.
Think you need to ring Ofsted to see if there's any way round this - maybe an emergency variation?! but you'd better get it sorted asap, as otherwise you'll have to get in touch with SS and let them know you can't accommodate the 3 children...

Bws,
Wendy :)

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 02:16 PM
How does she count in my numbers when she's not at home?

Will ring them back up now and say sorry I can't :(

caz3007
15-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I would also ring up Ofsted as you are helping out surestart, they may let you do it for the day, you just never know.

Mouse made a good point though, if the 4 year old is in full time school then they would count in your 5-8 numbers not your under 5

Pipsqueak
15-03-2011, 02:27 PM

Sorry that is how it works - you own children will always count in your numbers whether they are elsewhere or if you hubby/other half is home etc.
It is because you are ultimately responsible for them at all times.

~Grasshopper~
15-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Hiya,

Your own children count in your numbers because if she was ill ect she would be with you, you are here main carer. what does your certificate say, it will prob say no more than 2 under 5's. but if the 4 year old is in full time school normally then they will be classed as a 5-8 year old so if you can have over 5's on your cert then you will be ok.

hope you work it out, could your childminder friend not spend the day with you and look after 1x of the mindee's?
x

Mouse
15-03-2011, 02:29 PM

That should have been explained to you from the very beginning. Your own child will always count in your numbers, even if they are not with you. Your certificate tells you the number of children you can care for. It will say something like " may care for no more than X number of children under 8. Of these, no more than Y can be in the Early Years age range". Those are the numbers you have to go by. If it says "no more than 2 in the EY age range", you can not have more than 2 whether or not your own child is there.
The only way round it is to see if Ofsted would do an emergency variation.

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 02:33 PM
She said the 4 year old is in Reception sorry not pre-school but wouldn't be going to school tomorrow because of the court thing. Would she still be classed as 5 - 8?

Pipsqueak
15-03-2011, 02:35 PM
providing the 4yr old is in FULL time school M-F 9-3.15 then yes you can put her in the rising 5 category (do you have this clause on your certificate) and class her as 5yrs old for the purposes of ratio.

give Ofsted a call to clarify

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Just ringing them now..

Yes it says

"when caring for 4 or 5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education"

Pipsqueak
15-03-2011, 02:39 PM
there you go then hun - you can do it - the school child will be a rising 5 as she is in school all day and will count in the next age bracket up:thumbsup:

NicoleW
15-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Ofsted said it'll be fine, phew!

Just got to see if my partner will drop my 5 year old off at school in the morning because I don't fancy crossing alot of roads with the entire cast of annie and without a double pushchair

Goatgirl
15-03-2011, 02:44 PM
there you go then hun - you can do it - the school child will be a rising 5 as she is in school all day and will count in the next age bracket up

Phew!! Glad that's worked out ok :)

Good luck tomorrow :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

karen m
15-03-2011, 03:26 PM
it is very confusing when you first start out but you will get there just remember to keep within your numbers ,have a fab day tomorrow

caz3007
15-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Glad its all worked and apologies for pointing it out in the first place, but didnt want you to get in trouble for overminding.

Good luck and hope you all have a good day xxx