PDA

View Full Version : Who pays for toddler groups..

JCrakers
15-03-2011, 11:12 AM
You or the parents?

Ive been going to this toddler group in the local church for about 18months and always paid £1 regardless of if I have 1,2 or 3 kiddies. I was told you pay for the adult.
So I pay for this and £1 on a Monday equalling £2 a week.(£8ish a month)

Now the toddler group tell me I am supposed to be paying £1 per child..(after 18m, i thought they may have told me sooner :rolleyes: )
So now I will be paying out £3-£4 a week which isnt a lot when you first look at it but when I think about it means I 'm basically looking after the 2.5yr old I take to this toddler group for free for the hour.

Do you ask the parents for the toddler group money as I dont go there for myself as I hate it..no-one talks to me.:( So I'm basically paying out my own money to go to this place I hate.....lol:laughing:
Kids love it though :D

Becky x

mama2three
15-03-2011, 11:43 AM
my fees are inclusive of food / groups etc so yes I would cover this cost. remember you can put it through as an expense against tax , though of course only useful if you earn above the tax thresh hold. The toddler group i use is £2.50 for the first child and 50p each for subsequent children. A minder friend charges slightly less than me hourly , but parents pay for everything else on top - so whatever suits you really. What did you say at contract stage?

Bushpig
15-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Yes, any cost like this is included in my fee. I claim it as an expense.

Baildon bears
15-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Am I getting this right, you have to pay £1 for your self and £1 for each child over 18 months, gosh that's an expensive toddler group ours charge £1.00 for first child then 30p per other children, I personally don't charge for toddler groups but I put my fee slightly higher to allow for groups, and if we go somewhere with an expensive entrance fee I ask for money. I must admit I to hate toddler groups, I went to one a while ago with my mindee who is very independent, I felt like a right lemon with nothing to do and all these groups of women chatting away it's a horrible feeling, I am a friendly person just not very confident sometimes:blush:

gigglinggoblin
15-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I pay for groups but I choose which I go to so I dont mind. I wouldnt be paying to go to a group I hate, and certainly not that much.

Blackcat
15-03-2011, 12:02 PM
my parents pay a bit extra with food money for groups

JCrakers
15-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks....I hate going to ALL toddler groups to be honest. Thought I'd left them behind after my own two children grew up but find myself having to go for work...Never mind. All the mums seem to chat amongst themselves. I spent 3yrs starting converstions and getting myself into a group but after everyone leaves as their little ones grow I really cant be bothered anymore...lol..Its too much hard work :blush:

Iv'e just put my prices up for 1st April so I suppose that will cover the fees :D Just wandered what everyone else did.

Thanks again
becky

Mouse
15-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I pay for normal toddler groups & always have done. One group started to charge £2.50 for the first child, then £1.50 per child after that. Most childminders stopped going!

If I'm looking at doing a more expensive class (baby signing, music sessions etc) I ask parents if the would like me to take their child, but explain they will have to pay as some of them cost £5 per child. Most parents have been happy for me to do this, but I always stress that they are under no obligation to agree to it.

Rubybubbles
15-03-2011, 12:32 PM
HIya I pay, but then I don't have to go if I don't fancy it:laughing:

our local tots is great tbh, 4 childminders who have their own kids at school so we all only have mindies, which we have now started a childminder group just for childminders:clapping:

all the girls at toddlers (parents) are lovely and very friendly towards me as a childminder! Maybe because I live on RAF camp, and I guess you have to talk as you move so much?

Polly2
15-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I cover toddler groups but if you aren't enjoying it I wouldn't go!!

marnieb
15-03-2011, 12:44 PM
if you don't enjoy it, then don't go!!! i spent over a year going to a group I hated as mindees mum liked it. Horrid and cliquey no-one ever spoke to me. As soon as mindee left I stopped going - its the best thing I've ever done!!!!

cas2805
15-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a little bag (or float) for each child of their own money. If we have a larger outing eg farm, zoo then I get agreement from parents and extra money.

I did used to pay myself but then kept forgetting to write down on my expenses. Now I do it this way, I always get money out of their bag before we go out :)

Katiekoo
15-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I cover the cost for toddler groups and outings myself but I am very luck and parents often offer to contribute or add a little extra onto my pay or don't accept any change saying ' that can cover toddler group then'. As I say though I am lucky :) not all parents would be so kind.

Princess Sara
15-03-2011, 09:17 PM
My fee includes all outings, even if we went to the farm or a theme park (second one unlikely!!!) It may feel like you are paying out more than you are getting paid for that hour, but if you consider all the other days you don't pay out anything, maybe it evens out?

But... if you don't enjoy going, then don't! Unless the other children make it worthwhile? I don't really talk to the adults at our mums and tots, but I talk and interact with the children and it's fabulous. Also, once you build up a relationship with the children, generally the adults follow suit.

blue bear
15-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't you have another toddlers or childrens centre? I went to one that was clicky twice and never went again, I have a motto, if we are not having a good time it's time to change what you are doing and that is for all of us not just the children. I aim to have fun every day don't go sone where you don't like and certainly not at that price.

Ripeberry
15-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks....I hate going to ALL toddler groups to be honest. Thought I'd left them behind after my own two children grew up but find myself having to go for work...Never mind. All the mums seem to chat amongst themselves. I spent 3yrs starting converstions and getting myself into a group but after everyone leaves as their little ones grow I really cant be bothered anymore...lol..Its too much hard work :blush:

Iv'e just put my prices up for 1st April so I suppose that will cover the fees :D Just wandered what everyone else did.

Thanks again
becky

I prefer to go to CM only toddler groups :thumbsup: