PDA

View Full Version : Media Request - depression

dawnfp
14-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Pauline gave me permission to post this...

I'm writing a piece for a childcare magazine about depression and childminders, hoping to remove some of the stigma and suggest ways to recognise problems and seek help and support.

If you have had depression at some point, or feel you cope with it on a day to day basis, I'd be interested in hearing from you and including some quotes about how you deal with it, support you receive, perhaps problems it causes and advice for others. I know that depression comes in various forms, so I'm not expecting to find a "one size fits all approach".

I will need to do a short telephone interview with you, but you can contact me in the first instance by PM here or at dfpapc@aol.com. As it is a sensitive topic, I'm happy to use a different name if I refer to you in the article.

Many thanks
Dawn

rickysmiths
14-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I am intrigued. What or why are you writing about Childminders and Depression? Is it a big problem?

I am lucky and have never suffered from it my FIL did and I know who debilitating it can be.

Beetlejuice
14-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I am intrigued. What or why are you writing about Childminders and Depression? Is it a big problem?

I'm intrigued too - not least because I am a childminder and I suffer with depression. It's completely controlled by medication and does not affect my work. I was totally honest in my health questionnaire when I registered and the Ofsted inspector at my pre-reg visit said she appreciated my honesty. I have a chemical imbalance and I view it like a headache - if I had a headache I'd take a pill so to control the chemical balance in my brain I take a pill. Simple as that. None of the parents I currently have are aware of my condition but I did tell a parent whose child left my care (parent is now a childminder) that I suffered and was on medication and she said that she would never have guessed. I wouldn't lie about it if asked by a parent but I honestly don't feel the need to broadcast it.

What I worry about from my perspective with an article like this is are we going to start scaring parents with the 'ooh your childminder may be on medication and isn't telling you/they could be depressed and hurt your child' slant? I think there is still today, despite all our best efforts, some nervousness by some closed-minded people that childminders work alone and you can't tell what they do when you aren't there - by writing this article is that not fuelling the fire? Not wishing to be awkward, just raising a valid concern. Depression is still such a taboo because of images portrayed on tv of 'manic' people whereas in reality some people with mild depression, such as myself, are no more a threat to people than a person who isn't depressed if you see what I mean?

Thanks

B x

rickysmiths
15-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm intrigued too - not least because I am a childminder and I suffer with depression. It's completely controlled by medication and does not affect my work. I was totally honest in my health questionnaire when I registered and the Ofsted inspector at my pre-reg visit said she appreciated my honesty. I have a chemical imbalance and I view it like a headache - if I had a headache I'd take a pill so to control the chemical balance in my brain I take a pill. Simple as that. None of the parents I currently have are aware of my condition but I did tell a parent whose child left my care (parent is now a childminder) that I suffered and was on medication and she said that she would never have guessed. I wouldn't lie about it if asked by a parent but I honestly don't feel the need to broadcast it.

What I worry about from my perspective with an article like this is are we going to start scaring parents with the 'ooh your childminder may be on medication and isn't telling you/they could be depressed and hurt your child' slant? I think there is still today, despite all our best efforts, some nervousness by some closed-minded people that childminders work alone and you can't tell what they do when you aren't there - by writing this article is that not fuelling the fire? Not wishing to be awkward, just raising a valid concern. Depression is still such a taboo because of images portrayed on tv of 'manic' people whereas in reality some people with mild depression, such as myself, are no more a threat to people than a person who isn't depressed if you see what I mean?

Thanks

B x

Well said and I agree with what you say you expressed the concerns so well.

jumpinjen
15-03-2011, 04:49 PM
But perhaps a well-written article might help a childminder who was suffering from depression and worrying that if they sought help that they would lose their business.... it could help them feel less alone, that others cope with it or have experienced it and come through the other side? All depends on how portrayed but cold be really positive

jen x

Beetlejuice
15-03-2011, 05:39 PM
But perhaps a well-written article might help a childminder who was suffering from depression and worrying that if they sought help that they would lose their business.... it could help them feel less alone, that others cope with it or have experienced it and come through the other side? All depends on how portrayed but cold be really positive

jen x

I agree but I think the crux of what you have said is that it 'could' be positive. I admire the OP for her angle - I hate that depression has such a stigma even though for the majority of people who have and understand depression know they can manage it with medication. But we will still get that number of people who would genuinely be horrified at the thought of leaving their child with someone who has it and my worry is that an article, however positive the slant, could make people more wary of childminders iyswim? I may be over-reacting but this is a very personal issue for me - though I have to say that the other childminders where I live all know about me and my medication and they are all extremely supportive. But I have been burnt in the past by people who were meant to be friends who dropped me like a stone when I first suffered. These were friends I had had for 20 years - which just goes to show that actually they were never true friends. Anyway, I digress. I look forward to hearing the OPs point of view on my concerns.

Thanks

B x

Alibali
15-03-2011, 07:02 PM

My thoughts too:)

sarah707
15-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Dawn is an author who writes for magazines... I think she is usually given her subject by the mag and then she researches it and writes her article.

She did one previously about mealtimes and childminded children and used quotes from a few forum members...

She has also more recently done one about keeping the resources under control. Both of those were for Child Care magazine.

She will not divulge your name if you ask her to keep it confidential. You don't even have to give her your real name but I know she will value your input.

The best way for her to be able to show a balanced argument is for real people to get involved at the researching stage.

:D

dawnfp
16-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks very much for the interest and messages on here. It's for a magazine aimed at the childcare profession, so very much along the lines of what Jen mentioned in her post - aimed at removing any stigma, helping childminders to know when and where to seek help and support, and whether it's something they need to mention.

So positive stories/quotes would be great if you have a chance to get in touch. And yes, I'm happy to change names.

Thanks again
Dawn

Beetlejuice
16-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I've PMd you Dawn.

B x

nicaukids
16-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I would be really interested to see the finished aritcle if possible? Can you let us know when/where published please?

Think I may be seeking guidance myself...
Thanks,Nx

JaxV
16-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd be interested in reading the finished article as I have lived with depression for 23 years - starting with puberty at 13, developing into PND after the birth of my 2 eldest (now 18 and 15) and appearing on and off since. DD3 is 9 months old and I am so far (touch wood!) PND free but it will be a threat in the background through all my life. I suspect hormonal inbalances but despite tests nothing has ever shown up. TBH I hadn't considered how this might effect me becoming a childminder as I have become well practised at recognising the early signs in myself and dealing with it via natural methods first (meditation, homeopathy), then medication if needed. Though I am painfully aware that it could also catch me by surprise at any time and be a problem. :(

Beetlejuice
18-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Just bumping this up to let people know that the finished article is in Childcare magazine which came out today.

md0u0131
18-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I saw this - haven't had chance to read it properly yet though, I joined childminding too late to comment on the thread but both myself and my husband have suffered depression in the past so I'm really interested in reading the aricle.