PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Abuse for obs today - please

aly
14-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Have to do an activity for my 305 which is Protect and promote children's rights.

I am doing an activity about the people who help us but specifically she wants to know how children can protect themselves from abuse.

The mindees I will have to do this will be 4 & 6 boy and girl....how / what can i do for this activity ...I will only have about 50 mins to do this. My eldest child will be with me {unless he goes out to play} he is 9.

please help she is coming at 4..

Zoomie
14-03-2011, 01:27 PM
for this age group i would do a body map.

say what areas are 'private', that it is okay to say stop or no if we don't like something that another child / adult / even a parent is doing to our body...

singingcactus
14-03-2011, 02:22 PM
The age group you have may be at risk, if they go to the park unsupervised, of wandering off with an unknown adult or other child. So maybe one activity may be simply chatting about keeping safe at the park. Discuss when it is the right thing to say NO, and how when they say NO an adult or other child should listen and if they don't then discuss next steps.
If you are going to do an activity with the kids you might as well make it about something that is relevant to the kids. It is very important with this age group, who are becoming more and more independent, and doing more and more things without their parents with them, that they know that they are allowed, and required, to say NO when they feel uncomfortable. Learning about body parts is very very important, but without the ability to say NO it does the child no good.
Play an activity where the kids can say NO.

aly
14-03-2011, 02:25 PM
the more I think about this the more I dont want to do it.

I dont mind about the bullying etc but the sexual abuse part I dont really want to go into especially with a 4 & 6 year old.

I spoke to another cm friend and she said it is ropey ground they want to cover.

my own children are 3, 6 & 9.5 and none of them know about the birds and bees yet and i feel a bit off talking about it to other peoples children just for an observation....I did just have a phonecall from 1 of the mindees mum and told her and she said that she is not keen on the idea too so I will mention that mum said no as she would like to cover that with her and the other mindees mum is just happy to do the actual activity about people who help rather than going into it too deep.

Have I got a right to say no to going into it too deep?, I will obviously just mention they can go to different people to tellt hem they have been bullied and that noone should be touching them anywhere and they can come to me for anything but leave it at that?

mama2three
14-03-2011, 02:38 PM
i would smiplify the whole thing and look at people who help us..can they identify who it is safe to go to if they get lost , pictures of policemen, teacher etc...

miffy
14-03-2011, 02:55 PM
i would smiplify the whole thing and look at people who help us..can they identify who it is safe to go to if they get lost , pictures of policemen, teacher etc...

I would do this too, otherwise you risk covering things that you don't want to atm.

Miffy xx

christine e
14-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I would read the book For Every Child by unicef one example from the book is All children shall have time to play and time to rest when we are tired
which is right no 31
Keep our families together, and if we have no family, look after us and love us just the same
which is right no 9

I love this book because it explains children's right in a language they can understand

Cx

aly
14-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I think I put too much thought into it as when she came and I asked her what she expects from me and the fact I mentioned SEXUAL abuse she was horrified.!...She didnt want me to go down that road and what I did do when talking about stranger danger and bullying etc.

Phew....next time dont think too long and too hard about things...:panic::rolleyes:

aly
14-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks all by the way...:blush:

miffy
14-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I think I put too much thought into it as when she came and I asked her what she expects from me and the fact I mentioned SEXUAL abuse she was horrified.!...She didnt want me to go down that road and what I did do when talking about stranger danger and bullying etc.

Phew....next time dont think too long and too hard about things...:panic::rolleyes:

Glad it was more straight forward then you thought - perhaps next time she'll explain a bit better what she wants you to do! :rolleyes: :D

Miffy xx

Helen Dempster
14-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Teach them The Keepsafe Code (you can google it and print a copy off) I have a copy of it on my notice board and it went down very well with my NVQ assessor! :)