PDA

View Full Version : Planning Permission

rainbowsplash
14-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this? I spoke to one of the local planning officers at the council this morning and he was not sure how it worked??? Is it 6 minded children or does that children include your own children, the guy at the coucil seems to think it includes your own children but I have heard otherwise off other minders in the area, I don't mind getting it even if it is £335 (if they grant it!) but need to find exactly whether I need it or not? Any help would be appreciated, thanks x

AnnieM
14-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I haven't got it, I have been minding 17 years and never been told I need it. I have contacted council planning dpeartment, for other things and mentioned I am a childminder, they have never said a thing. :thumbsup: I know some councils are stricter than others though.

debratina
14-03-2011, 12:53 PM
hi
i am in the middle of this
i have had 3 different stories now, from ofsted, early years and planning and not one story is linked :(
i am waiting for early years at Derby to get back to me.
ofsted say it because of traffic,
early years said it was because i wanted my son as an assistant
planning said it was because i had a variation for 10 under eight.

i am confused so if anyone else can help that would be great

Debra

rickysmiths
14-03-2011, 01:05 PM
hi
i am in the middle of this
i have had 3 different stories now, from ofsted, early years and planning and not one story is linked :(
i am waiting for early years at Derby to get back to me.
ofsted say it because of traffic,

That is one of the reasons because the increased numbers of parents and so cars coming and going and needing to park could cause disturbance to your neighbours.

early years said it was because i wanted my son as an assistant

Nothing to do with having an assistant I have my son and dh as assistants but I only have a max 6 children in the Early Years.

planning said it was because i had a variation for 10 under eight.

This is the reason why you will need planning permission. Partly because of the cars, also extra noise etc that may disturb your neighbours and you live in a residential area not a business one. Normally you have to have PP if you go over the normal max of 6 in early years age group.

i am confused so if anyone else can help that would be great

Debra

You also need to check the Deeds of your house to check if there is a Restrictive Covernant that prevents you from running a business. You are usually OK up to 6 children because this is not usually classed as a Business but it is if you go over and need PP. If there is one then you would be wise to get some Legal Advise and possibly the advise of an accountant.

rainbowsplash
14-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I have spoken to Ofsted and they have advised me to get it done so I am going to apply and put it through as start up costs as advised. The council said they can do it so it is part dwelling part business as I will only have a larger number of children during the holidays. My landlord has agreed to it too as long as I change it back before/if I move, he is just checking wih his legal people. Think it is better to be on the safe side tbh.

My planning officer also said that anyone with an assistant had to have planning permission so if you don't have it I would consider checking with your LA.

rickysmiths
14-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I have spoken to Ofsted and they have advised me to get it done so I am going to apply and put it through as start up costs as advised. The council said they can do it so it is part dwelling part business as I will only have a larger number of children during the holidays. My landlord has agreed to it too as long as I change it back before/if I move, he is just checking wih his legal people. Think it is better to be on the safe side tbh.

My planning officer also said that anyone with an assistant had to have planning permission so if you don't have it I would consider checking with your LA.

Why do you have to have PP to have an unpaid assistant and you don't go over the max of 6 children? I'm not even going to ask .If that was the case thousands of cms would have to apply for PP and that is not the case. I think they may have mis-advised on that one.:thumbsup:

rainbowsplash
14-03-2011, 06:57 PM
[/COLOR]

Why do you have to have PP to have an unpaid assistant and you don't go over the max of 6 children? I'm not even going to ask .If that was the case thousands of cms would have to apply for PP and that is not the case. I think they may have mis-advised on that one.:thumbsup:

As I say it's just what I was told today by the Planning Officer and it may just be for our area, but I am going to ring my DO tomorrow before I fork out £335! There should be clearer guidelines for things like this!!

suzyblue
15-03-2011, 08:24 AM
i applied years ago and was refused as a neighbour didnt want me to get planning permission. She made up a load of lies saying the children were in the garden shouting all day. I had to appeal and got all the other neighbours to write letters, I had to provide lots of evidence to disprove the horrible neighbour and it took 18 months but I got it in the end. The neighbour didnt even live on my road but her garden backed onto mine and she also said that we blocked her drive and that the kids lent over her fence with snotty noses!

rainbowsplash
15-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi all, I spoke to my DO/CSO this morning and she has assured me that in our area we do not need planning permission UNLESS we mind over 6 children, this does not include your own children, and she also said to check insurance which I have done, such a relief and will be £335 better off. She is going to ring council today to talk to them and ask them why they advised me this :) Thanks for all of your advice.

Also it is different in different areas

VINASOL
15-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I am in Kent and for us it is 6 children (up to any age and includes my own)...so I'm definitely keeping within that.

rainbowsplash
15-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi all, I spoke to my DO/CSO this morning and she has assured me that in our area we do not need planning permission UNLESS we mind over 6 children, this does not include your own children, and she also said to check insurance which I have done, such a relief and will be £335 better off. She is going to ring council today to talk to them and ask them why they advised me this :) Thanks for all of your advice.

Also it is different in different areas

Sorry this should read 6 children UNDER 8