PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journals arrrrh

michelle A
14-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Please please please can anyone share there learning journals. :panic:
I;ve started putting my risks assessments together thanks to all the support on this forum couldn;t have done it without the forum. So much paperwork to get my head round i;m meeting myself coming back:idea: I;ve only really had little ones since jan so hopefully one day i;ll get to grips with it all. sorry for goin on x

AnnieM
14-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I highly recommend sarah707's learning journal ebook, I have the illustrated one and it comes with all the blank pages to print that you would ever need and lots of useful information on filling it in.

There is a sample completed learning journey here if you want to have a look for some inspiration.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/173235

mufftie
14-03-2011, 09:38 AM
i bought mine of ebay , not sure who off , but i highly reccomend ready made books for everything as you just fill in the gaps rather than struggling to compose one yourself .

sarah707
14-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Learning journeys should contain observations, assessments, planning, info from parents, copies of children's work, photos... anything to show that the child is learning, developing and enjoying time with you.

Any way you want to put them together is fine! :D

jellybean cc
14-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi i have started my learning journals, i only have children on a Friday at the moment.
I put in observations, some of the child's work, a review of each month which i write at the end and a 2nd copy of any letters that parents are given. Last week we all did pancake tossing so i have printed of a certificate for each of them and popped that in

What planning do you include Sarah? I have started a diary for myself which i write up and print off each week. Paragraph 1 is what i plan to do, paragraph 2 is what we actually did and paragraph 3 is a kind of conclusion/ summing up/ notes. At the moment i am putting this into my folder.

thanks for any advice.

Good luck Michelle i am sure we will both get the hang of it all eventually.

magicminding
14-03-2011, 10:00 PM
All my learning journals are different - just like the children! However - some content is the same:
First day - hand and foot print, then repeated on birthday and anniversarys of time they have been with me
Photographs
Some artwork / early handwriting, then shows development
milestones achieved - first tooth etc
photos sent to me from home
observations
assessments
Individual learning plans that I do once a term, and also a summary sheet once a term that has things like what they most like to do / eat / play etc, what mum tells me about them, something I think id=s really prominent about their personality.
I always feel sad when they leave reception and I give them to the mums, but it always gets me the nicest compliments :)

Had a look at the link, and I'm going to add a bit of page 5 onto what I do - so thanks for sharing that :clapping:

sarah707
15-03-2011, 07:49 AM
What planning do you include Sarah? I have started a diary for myself which i write up and print off each week. Paragraph 1 is what i plan to do, paragraph 2 is what we actually did and paragraph 3 is a kind of conclusion/ summing up/ notes. At the moment i am putting this into my folder.

thanks for any advice.

Good luck Michelle i am sure we will both get the hang of it all eventually.

Planning is individual and what the child has done from group.

It's only a few words each week and links to next steps very often.

So last week for M age 3 I said...

Child's interests - M chose to spend much of this week running up and down the garden pushing the pram and wheelbarrow; he made lots of train tracks in straight lines;

Group planning - M joined in enthusiastically with activities to mark pancake day including pancake races and decorating paper pancakes which he proudly displayed;

Next steps - water play (trajectory schema); races at the park.

I then link these activities to the Eyfs. :D

jellybean cc
15-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Thank you Sarah you make it all sound so simple and straight forward. I think at the moment i writing to much, i guess it will take time to understand what is needed and what works best.