PDA

View Full Version : Money Saving Tips?

fieryleo1984
14-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Ladies, not sure if this is the right place to post but I will give it ago!

Im just in the process of registering but all the grants in our area stopped in february. Could anyone advise me on how to keep my startup costs low? I dont have alot of spare money anyway but have already paid out £60 for firstaid, £35 reg fee, £35 health declaration.

Then I will need to buy toys and equiptment etc.

Thanks in Advance

Emma:)

PixiePetal
14-03-2011, 07:28 AM
toys - check your local freecycle/freegle online, put a wanted ad on there too. Car boot sales and charity shops also serve us well as can ebay :thumbsup: Ask around friends if they are getting rid of any toys which they would like you to take off their hands :)

Pound shops for craft stuff and junk modelling doesn't cost the earth

ASDA has a baby event with big sales every now and then.

Am sure there will be others with good ideas :)

gegele
14-03-2011, 07:44 AM
i was going to say exactly like pixie,

just look for the basic if you haven't got children of your own, bricks, people....and wait to have mindee to expand in the age appropriate toys.

car boot sale are coming soon and they're a blessing!

miffy
14-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Don't spend out lots of money on toys or resources before you've got work coming in - that way you will only spend money on the age group you are catering for.

Recycle cereal packets/cardboard boxes for card and buy a cheap roll of lining paper for drawing on.

Miffy xx

AnnieM
14-03-2011, 09:39 AM
As above, but also do you have a local toy library? As a childminder we are allowed more resources each week from ours, 5 I think. There is usually a small joining fee for childminders but then it is really cheap to borrow the toys and that way you find out their likes and dislikes before spending money on buying toys. Also the NCT have some really good sales a couple of times a year. :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
14-03-2011, 09:54 AM
NCT sales, car boots, ebay, netmums for sale boards, freecycle. I found some of my friends were happy to offload some unwanted items. I only bought new things if they were on offer/ in the sale etc.

mufftie
14-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Don't spend out lots of money on toys or resources before you've got work coming in - that way you will only spend money on the age group you are catering for.

Recycle cereal packets/cardboard boxes for card and buy a cheap roll of lining paper for drawing on.

Miffy xx

i was going to say that , wait until you have children as you could end up buying for the wrong age group

catmax0779
15-03-2011, 05:03 PM
When I was starting out I got some great free toys off Netmums and from friends (I just asked that if they were throwing things away to throw them in my direction) The kids loves going to the library to choose new books and it saves having to buy loads (although I do have quite a collection LOL), and we borrow resources from our childminders network at the local childrens centre so I would definitely join the network if you have one. I would also say wait untill you know what children you are having before spending money on toys and keep an eye out on Ebay, car boots, Netmums, Freegle etc for bargains.

fieryleo1984
15-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone! I didnt even think about it but my mum manages a charity shop so she gets first dibs on the stock! She mentioned today she had a Josie doll from balamory thats brand new so I have asked her to get me that so it covers multicultural toys in the eyfs.

I have a 16 month old so have lots of toys related to her age so will see what mindees I can get when Im registered and go from there.

Thanks again for your help x