PDA

View Full Version : Do you use wrist straps, back pack with stap, reins?

Katiekoo
12-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I use a back pack with a lead restraint to prevent my 2 and a half year old running off into the road when I'm pushing the buggy, got my hands full of bags.
I've never thought of it as controversial, but today a young man challenged me about it while I was walking in town.
She toddled over towards him and he looked appalled, 'dont you think that's kind of...., well .....?'
I said 'what, kind of.....SAFE, she loves it and gets a lot of freedom to wander about.'
'can't you hold her hand?'
I clearly had my hands full so gestured 'look'.
He said 'I'm not trying to be rude, but...'
I said 'Yes you are, if you didn't mean to be rude you wouldn't have said anything at all'
I left it at that, it wasn't an argument or confrontational at all, he was young and has clearly not got children - looked a bit like a student, didn't want to get in a row with him. My husband was very surprised when I told him and a bit cross.

It got me thinking..... do lot's of people think that? Is it controversial? Do you guys use restraints?

I guess if you've never seen it before, it must give the impression of a dog on a lead.

My dd loves it and it gives her confidence and freedom to run about a bit. If I don't have the buggy but we're going somewhere busy/ hectic I pop it on and hold her hand too. I've found the back pack better than reins as dd would let legs go limp and just collapse on the floor! The wrist straps are quite good, more like holding hands I suppose. I'm not going to stop using the back pack, I know how I feel, just wondered what you all think really.

WibbleWobble
12-03-2011, 10:49 PM
my three LOs have their own backpack with strap.

http://littlelife.co.uk/html/toddler_daysacks/animal-dinosaur.html

i have this one for B who is dinosaur mad. N has the bee one cos when he started with me as a baby he wore a bumble bee babygrow. A has the ladybird cos she likes them.

they are expensive but they love them.,,,very proud LOs when out and about.

mandy xx

Jacko81
12-03-2011, 10:52 PM
i have a wrist strap for my own dd who is 2yrs and 3 mth. she is a 'runner' and is quick so i hold her hand and use the wrist strap as a 'fail safe' just in case. as for my mindees i risk asses each child re; their needs and abilities and what (if any) restraint would be needed.
I would not be worried about what other people think, i am sure if your child was hurt when out and about those who say ' why wear the restraint???' would then immediatly say 'Why did they not have reins on'. Either way you know your child best. xxxx

mrs_scottydog
12-03-2011, 11:19 PM
If I'm not using my buggy I use reins as my DS and mindee are both happy using them. However if I'm just with my DS quite often I just hold his hand and don't use reins as he either wants to hold your hand or be carried.
The main reason I use reins is because I had several sets that were given to me by my mum that my younger siblings used to use.
I would use whatever you feel is best for you and your DS and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Hx

babs
13-03-2011, 12:24 AM
i use wrist straps when walking to school and ive got buggy ,i have just recently let both my lo's walk without and 2 weeks no problems but 1 i know always runs off from mum, sister etc was doin well and then last week as we were about to cross road she was holding on buggy and when i turned it round to wait to cross she ran out tbh i shouted that loud think they heard me in space well now shes back on a strap other one walks holding buggy, she knows she done wrong as she says every day i need my strap cus i ran out, i do let her off strap when we get on our side of road and she walks with other lo in front of buggy... i dont use straps if i dont have buggy with me but they do hold my hand and this one is good and will wait and then come hold hands without asking. i will try her again in few months see how she does but at moment strap is safest way for her and i dont care what anyone thinks least she can run under a car or get lost..

nicoleon
13-03-2011, 12:42 AM
I use bushbaby rucksacks as they have a harness that pulls through and doesn't pull up and choke them if that makes sense... anyway the salesman told me they were better than any others and i fell for it :blush:

I have to admit though, the whole reigns and strap thing is something completely new for me. In other european countries we simply haven't heard of it and yes - people associate them with dog leads. Before moving to England I only ever knew of holding hands but being a childminder it's certainly handy to have those 'helps'. I've had lots of visitors from Europe though and they were all stunned that we put children 'on a lead' over here... i guess it's what you used to and obviously we only have two hands...

amirose
13-03-2011, 06:12 AM
As you said you do whats safe.
If you can't hold their hand and you can't trust them to walk along with you, then they are not safe.
Anyone, logically, would rather their child was on a strap - even if they thought the child looked like a dog on a lead :rolleyes: , then have their child hit by a car. In fact when I have been questioned I put it back to them that bluntly!
Definitely not doing anything wrong at all hun :)

debratina
13-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Take no notice.
There would be an uproar if you didn't put reins on and the child had an accident.
I use the little life bags they are great.
Debra x

Baildon bears
13-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Better safe than sorry, there is nothing wrong with reins, I do much prefer the little rucksacks then mindee can carry a teddy in bag, I also would not worry about what other people think you are making sure your little one is safe nothing wrong with that.

onceinabluemoon
13-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I use a mixture of Little Life backpacks, reins, wrist-straps and holding hands depending on the child, where we are and how many children I have with me.

I've been told off for having kiddies on leads before too but just ignore them.

Lots of mums have said how great the LL backpacks are though :)

Allie
13-03-2011, 08:39 AM
A women challenged me once when my own children were small and on reins, she said I wouldn't treat my children like dogs that's awful. I said no they're a lot more important than dogs that's why I keep them safe

Also parents often tell me their child is fine off reins, that's why I have a included use of reins and wrist straps in my behaviour policy

Allie

Katiekoo
13-03-2011, 09:03 AM
A women challenged me once when my own children were small and on reins, she said I wouldn't treat my children like dogs that's awful. I said no they're a lot more important than dogs that's why I keep them safe

Love that answer!

The Juggler
13-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I have them but haven't used the wrist strap since my dd (9) was 2 1/2. She did need it. Didn't actually use it often but it hung on the buggy in threat of her running off. However, have seen information since on dislocations caused by wrist straps so tend to think now I would use reins more.

I don't have an issue with them as inhumane though a minder I shared care with continued to use them on a child of 3 1/2 nearly 4 on school runs when he'd been walking for over a year and never ran off :( :( I felt this was awful as he was very good walking/holding on. I was shocked when I saw him on reins (he looked big for 3 too). I asked if he had run off recently and was told no just better safe then sorry. In this situation I think it's wrong.

I think it's wrong to use them if a child can be trusted as it dents their confidence if they think they can't be trusted especially at an older age. I'm pleased to say said minder stopped or in fact never used them on his younger sibling when he was out of the buggy.

If children are prone to wander off/run off then they need them at whatever age.

keeks
13-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I use bushbaby rucksacks as they have a harness that pulls through and doesn't pull up and choke them if that makes sense... anyway the salesman told me they were better than any others and i fell for it :blush:

I have to admit though, the whole reigns and strap thing is something completely new for me. In other european countries we simply haven't heard of it and yes - people associate them with dog leads. Before moving to England I only ever knew of holding hands but being a childminder it's certainly handy to have those 'helps'. I've had lots of visitors from Europe though and they were all stunned that we put children 'on a lead' over here... i guess it's what you used to and obviously we only have two hands...

I know what you mean, I had seen harnesses in buggys before but never the reins and wrist straps. It is a cultural thing and I was really shocked the first time I saw a parent with a child in a wrist strap.

I've got more used to it now and I know it is rather common here. I've always got some reins in my outings bag. I have never needed to use them though, as I walk everywhere with the buggy and all but one of my mindees are just around 12 months so they don't walk.

The older mindee is very calm and sensible and he walks a lot with his mum. I asked her if she wanted me to use a wrist strap with him (he's 3) but she said no, please don't. I now hold his hand or he holds the buggy everywhere we go.

I'm sure people who say something might just be really surprised if they are not used to seeing it. In Sweden I honestly think you would be reported to SS if you had a wrist strap on a child. It is really just down to what is seen as normal where you are.

xx

Rubybubbles
13-03-2011, 09:48 AM
I use them for lo who is 2 in april:) , although he holds my hand, I loop the harness handle onto my hand too, again he runs anywhere he likes with mum:rolleyes:

I don't like wrist ones, I use reins. I love the bags, but have 2 sets of reins so can't warrent buying anymore lol!!

PixiePetal
13-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I have always used them if needed to keep children safe - over 28 years of using them

When mindees are reliable at holding on and understand the safety rules I stop.

I have been complimented by some older members of the public on my keeping children close and well behaved - i will continue using them. It is in my safety info for parents that I will use if needed :thumbsup:

Safety first - I have a feeling current mindee may need them once he is walking in town, he is a little scatty :rolleyes:

Joda
13-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I always have a wrist strap in my bag ( my own children were 'runners' so I had to use them) however, my mindee's are really good and hold hands/pushchair. I would use when necessary though.

sweets
13-03-2011, 10:53 AM
i have to admit that i dont like them, but i do use them, a couple of days a week i have 4 two year olds so when we go out i have 2 in the double buggy and 2 walking alongside whom i put wrist straps on, because if one of them decided to do a runner it would be a nightmare without them and very unsafe.

i think it all depends on the children really, if i was just walking along with one child then i would just hold their hand but sefety does come first.

Katiekoo
13-03-2011, 11:21 AM
i have to admit that i dont like them, but i do use them, a couple of days a week i have 4 two year olds so when we go out i have 2 in the double buggy and 2 walking alongside whom i put wrist straps on, because if one of them decided to do a runner it would be a nightmare without them and very unsafe.

i think it all depends on the children really, if i was just walking along with one child then i would just hold their hand but sefety does come first.

You sound like you have your hands full!

AliceK
13-03-2011, 12:53 PM

I agree. Safety first. When I've got a double buggy and then 3 or 4 other children walking I can't afford to risk a LO running off or into the road so if I feel the child needs a wrist strap on then I will. My DD is back on a wriststrap after running out of the school playground a couple of weeks ago. She's 3. I always have a couple of wrist straps in my pocket or in the pushchair.

xxxxxx

Hebs
13-03-2011, 01:01 PM
no i dont use them, i dont even own one

xx

Dragonfly
13-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes I use reins and always have and wont stop, but would never use wrist straps cant stand them

aly
13-03-2011, 05:29 PM
I use them. I only use 2 of them on 2 mindees if I park quite close to school and walk into school gorunds with them.....if I park further away they are in a buggy.....my 2.5 year old I will walk and he is really good, if its just me and him I will hold his hand but have the reins on ready.

I remember being on an advanced child protection course the 1st year of minding and I remember the tutor mentioning about reins and the possibility of us being accused of abuse due to reins...ie if for some reason they left a mark on the child...I've done it myself....when the child is about to fall and I stop them if I'm holding the reins etc.
:rolleyes:

breezy
13-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I use reins on 2 year old, first time I've had to do it, but he's a runner and refuses to hold hands so its a safety thing for him, if I didnt use reins I'd have to strap him in the pushchair and I'd rather he walked. Also school is on a busy road he gets more freedom in parks and safe areas.

I tried them on dd who hated them and used to just lift both feet off the ground and swing!!!!!!

Alibali
13-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I have the little life back packs and the children help me by carrying things for me like my keys or phone, they love the responsibility of that and they love to help. I had a lo last year (aged nearly 4) who had been walking well for nearly 2 years to and from school. One day as we were walking home her Gran drove up in the car and she just ran straight for the road, fortunately she had her ll on or she would have been on the road, so even though she had never run off before, she did this time! It only takes a second, so I'm sorry if people don't like it, but I'll continue to keep mine safe:D

missymood
13-03-2011, 06:14 PM
As a parent of 3 children and childminder, I do not like to see children in reins bas they look very babyish especially older chidlren, but the backpacks with straps are great! They look so much more grown up and trendy too.

That is only my opinion though!

Hebs
13-03-2011, 06:20 PM
i must be a right dragon :laughing:

none of my mindees have ever ran off from me, despite one of them being like a whippet with mum :laughing:

Monkey26
13-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I use wrist straps (although not at the moment as all my current children are great walkers or in a buggy still :D) but i used to have them looped through my jeans belt bit, i have weak wrists. I prefer the wrist straps as i encourage all the children to hold my hands when walking (yes, my three toddlers can all hold on - they've learnt to hold two fingers each haha!), the wrist strap is just there for extra safety :)
I also have some full body harness/reins thingies but i prefer not to use them unless thats what the child is used too, never used the back packs cuz they cost a fortune! xx

breezy
13-03-2011, 06:49 PM
i must be a right dragon :laughing:

none of my mindees have ever ran off from me, despite one of them being like a whippet with mum :laughing:

its either pure fear or superglue:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
13-03-2011, 07:08 PM
its either pure fear or superglue:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

must be the fear

i have "that look" :laughing: :laughing:

breezy
13-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I tried that, but they just laugh at me !:laughing:

mushpea
13-03-2011, 07:17 PM
my mum used to have the look and boy was it scary,, she used it on mine when they were little and it brought back memorys:laughing:

I use wrist straps but only when I have too,,,, generally they are all taught to hold the buggy or if I dont have the buggy then I use a 'granny bag' to transport everything so they hold that, if they dont hold on when told or dont stop when I tell them too then I do put on the wrist straps.
after a week or so of being with me I find I dont need to use them as they soon learn to stop or hold the buggy when told too.

MaryMary
13-03-2011, 08:44 PM
The LO I look after is 2 1/2 and always has reins on when she is walking. I get her to hold the buggy and she walks beautifully, but I have hold of the reins just in case :) She goes in the buggy on the way home from school, as it is easier (see below!) She wears reins when with her granny, as she tends to run away from her and as she has a stick she can't chase her :eek: She is a little minx, but you have to love her :D
One of my schoolies is a runner! He never listens (I suspect ADHD :( ) and his mum has lent me her strap to use if I need it. I now have my own, which I keep in my pocket. I only use it occassionally, if he won't listen, and keeps running off. It is more of a deterrent. He is a big 6 year old, and reins wouldn't fit him. Also, more importantly, I think they would be humiliating for him :panic: Unfortunately he, and mum, refer to the wrist strap as a baby strap! :eek: I always correct him, and say it is not a baby strap, but a wrist strap. The other day as we were walking home, he took it out of my pocket, out it on his wrist then handed the other end to me :laughing: He then proceeded to pull on it and struggle with it, as if I was forcing him!!

babs
13-03-2011, 08:55 PM
i call my wrist straps the safe strap and lo's say i wear this to keep me safe some days dont use them at all, depends what they are like .. one runner

Gizmo
13-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I use straps and hold hands when Im walking with my two two year olds and they both love it, on the day I have a two yo and baby, he walks holding onto buggy with wrist strap looped over the handle :thumbsup:

tulip0803
13-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I use reigns if the child needs it. I have one who is now getting better but was a runner.

One Mum wants me to use reighs as she wants her used to them as she is disabled and would not be able to chase her if she made a run for it.

My own daughter needed it as she was a runner too! Shame her minder didn't use them when she lost her in a fun day and at the beach carpark:rolleyes: . I did tell her but she didn't want to use them she soon changed her mind.

DS and DD1 never needed them.

watgem
13-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I use the little life backpacks,they are brilliant the kids love them and they don't tangle like reins. Safety is paramount and youcan't change things if an accident happens, you would have to live with it. children , even sensible ones, can sometimes be unpredictable and so can drivers so better safe than sorry:)