PDA

View Full Version : Do i still need to do a SEF?

LittleVoice
12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I registered as a childminder in October 2010. However due to being pregnant i decided not to start minding until after bump is born. However, upon recieving my detaikls the council rang me and asked why i'd not registered to which i told them why. Anyway to cut a long story short, the council rang me a few weeks later and asked if i'd do a short term contract for them as they had a mam and a dad who were to atttend a parenting course and needed childcare for 16 weeks. I agreed to it and they were due to start the 3rd Nov. They didnt show up for the 1st session. They came for ther 2nd, 9.30-12.45, but then never came back again. Due to the nature of the contract with the council they paid me for the full 16 weeks even though the family only came once.
I'm now a little confused as too whether i need to fill in a sef as ive had ofsted ring to say they are due and have asked if i've filled one in. When ive looked at it theres not a lot i could fill in as the children only ever came once.

Hope ive not waffled on too much.

And thank you in advance for any help.

Hailee. x

christine e
12-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Did you not say that you are not minding at the moment when they rang? If you are not minding they won't inspect you so I wouldn't be worrying about the sef

Cx

miffy
12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I agree with Christine - if you didn't make it clear to Ofsted that you're not minding atm then I'd ring them tomorrow.

Miffy xx

LittleVoice
13-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah i spoke to a lady from an outside agency called prospects. I told her the situation and She said that as i wasn't minding it would be Ofsted that would come to do my visit instead.
I didnt think Ofsted graded you if you werent minding, just confirmed the suitability of your premesis and basically said to let them know when you started minding again hence my confusion whether i had to do a sef or not.

Guess the best thing i can do is ring Ofsted directly and expalin the situation to them and see where i go from there.

Anyway than you for your reply's. Made me feel less stressed about it! :-D

TammyN
13-03-2011, 09:01 AM
from what i understand.....the SEF evaluates your practice more then what children you have, it gives you the opportunity to look at what you do and what you want to improve, it is probably easier to complete with children around but im sure there are parts you could be filling in as it is a working document you can then fill in and adapt as you go along.
Re: inspection if this is right and Ofsted do come you would be graded as satisfactory if all paperwork is in place, if i were you i would try and explain that you have been on mat leave and will inform them when you have mindee's so you can try for a higher grade.
Tammy