PDA

View Full Version : Fire Guards

lizzymoonshine
12-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi

Just wanted to pick your brains, Mrs O rang on Thursday to say expect a call in the next two to three weeks from Ofsted to arrange inspection.

So i'm now trying to sort everything out, but heard lots of things about fire guards. I have a gas fire, but its never lit. None of my mindees have ever bothered about it, but wondered if Ofsted would have an issue with me not having one????

thanks

angiemog
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
When I had my initial inspection, Mrs O told me to put a blanket over it when the children were there as there were some sharp corners. I do use mine so I got a fire guard anyway. If it isn't used I don't think you will need a guard. Good Luck x

Flisspaps
12-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a fireguard for my proper fire in the living room, but I don't have one for the gas fire in the dining room. It's never used and even I struggle to put it on, so a child won't be able to do it. Mrs O was happy enough with that at my pre-reg.

SammyM
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
I've just been inspected, got an open gas fire which we only use at night so is never on in the daytime, Mrs O just asked if we had a fire guard, told her we didn't and that it was never on, but I did however educate the children not to touch the coals etc as it might be hot one day, she was absolutely fine with this, got a GOOD so she must have been!!

AliceK
12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
When I was inspected we had a gas fire. Like you it was never on whilst minding or actually even when my own children were still up. I detailed this on my RA for that room but I never had a fireguard and Ofsted were happy with that.

xxxxx

Mrs Pootle
13-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I think as long as you have risk assessed it, and they can see it written down you are fine.

I have an electric fire that is never switched on and the cable/plug are wound up at the back of the fire. To switch it on a child would first have to lift the whole fire forward a few inch to get their hand round the back to unwind the cable and then fit it in the socket etc. The fire is one of those wood burning stove effect ones and is very heavy, I struggle to move it, so a child would have no chance.
My risk assessment detailed how it was impossible for a child to switch on in it's current position, and so I saw no need for a fire guard, and this was fine for Mrs O. :)
Good luck with your inspection :thumbsup:

lizzymoonshine
15-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys for the help :)