PDA

View Full Version : gardening with children

Bananabrain
11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi guys, I know this has probably been answered before but does anyone know of any child friendly slug repellent?
Those of you that garden with mindees {and I know there are lots of you}
what has been your most successful crop? What would you suggest? I have grown the usual suspects:radishes, spring onions, tomatoes, courgettes etc.
Need some fresh ideas please.

mama2three
11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
my dad used to use orange peel and eggshells round plants to keep the slugs off.
Out best crops last year were potatoes , strawberries , carrots, beans and lots of herbs. The brocolli and lettuce went a bit , well , wrong! It was my first attempt at any veggies though so was fairly pleased.

aunt sally
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Last year our best crop was mangetouts. The mindees loved picking them for tea. They have asked to grow them again this year.

rickysmiths
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Last year our best crop was mangetouts. The mindees loved picking them for tea. They have asked to grow them again this year.

That sounds nice.

I have been out this morning and bought the compost for our potato bags. We were very successful with them last year we have got the free agian from the Potato Council and they are Chitting at the moment.

The older mindees have asked if they can grow carrots, runner beans I got some dwarf beans as well, spring onions!? and tomatoes in a hanging basket. Sounds like we are going to be busy. :thumbsup:

To the op I have put pots on trays of gravel and sprinkled salt with some success. I have heard egg shell work as well but they would need to be washed and kept out of little mindees way.

buildingblocks
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Hi guys, I know this has probably been answered before but does anyone know of any child friendly slug repellent?
Those of you that garden with mindees {and I know there are lots of you}
what has been your most successful crop? What would you suggest? I have grown the usual suspects:radishes, spring onions, tomatoes, courgettes etc.
Need some fresh ideas please.

Runner beans always plant too many but love them

gegele
11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
little tomatoes are always a success and kids pick and eat.

broken seashell (extended activity go to beach and pick them and then brake them safely..:) )

this year i bough mini orchard pear tree, apple tree, plum tree and cherry tree!!

they will be in pot so i can move them and we'll decorate them according our mood lol

green with shamlock
yellow ruban and easter eggs ....

well that's the plan anyway lol

nextyear i'm planting a raspberry wigwam thiny lol:thumbsup:

mushpea
11-03-2011, 09:02 PM
gravel cause they dont like the sharp bits or egg shells

Happy Bunny
12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Runner beans, tomatoes and potatoes always grow well.
This year we are having a go at butternut squash as well.
I always use broken egg shells on the ground.

caz3007
12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Our lettuce and courgettes did really well and we are in the process of planting them at the moment. I also did the free potatoes and they were good. This year we are planting all sorts, hubby is doing some and I am doing some with the mindies too. Then we will all help look after them

magicminding
13-03-2011, 10:37 PM
beetroot is really easy too, and can be eatten raw or cooked:)