PDA

View Full Version : Prices?

Sammie
11-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,
Iv been scanning through alot of the posts on here and im still none the wiser on how much to charge? as i am going to be a new child minder with no experience in child minding (i do have my own child and looking after friends and family children! )was just wondering if anyone could let me know there sort of prices ect?
Thanks!! :)

Goatgirl
11-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi Sammie,
Welcome :)
It really depends on what other childminders charge in your area and seems to vary greatly across the UK... You also need to decide what will be enough to make you a decent wage, but not outprice yourself.

You can also charge for food/ outings inclusive or separately. Its really up to you...
You need to think about what you want to charge for holidays (theirs, yours) for late collections, late payment etc

I charge £3.75 per hour and include food and drinks in that (if required and on my terms), but charge more in some circumstances and have minimum numbers of hours per day/over a week etc, to make sure spaces aren't taken by LO's using fewer than the available hours...

I would try to be very clear about your rates and comfortable with them before you come to sort out contracts, especially as they will be family and friends, as you may be expected to charge less and do 'mates rates'. my advice is be clear and firm from the beginning.

Good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Sammie
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank You very much wendy!
From what iv gathered its ruffly £3.50 - £4.00 a hour i was thinking more of a daily all inclusive price!?
What does LO stand for might sound silly :blush:
xx

smarteepants
11-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I contacted my local authority to ask for details of all the childminders in my area. (pose as a parent looking for childcare) They then sent me a few sheets of paper with childminders and their details, what they have to offer, what vacancies they have and how much they charge etc. So that you get an idea of the going rate where you live.
I can also find this info on my LA website, not sure how this varies in other regions???

I think you need to think about the kind of area you live (I live in a council estate so make a guess that most parents here aren't going to be top high flying career people with wages to match that! Most of them LIKELY to be minimum wage or thereabouts so charging £5 an hour wont leave them with much!)

Also what you have to offer - If your just starting and don't have loads of wonderful rescources or regular trips/events or regular planning etc then you can't charge over the odds....

Also would you like to charge extra for meals or include them in your hourly rate? Will you be using a car for school runs etc?

Lots to consider but i personally did find my LA most useful!

The Juggler
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I agree based yourself on an average local rate. I started way too low when started out then never caught up with parents who stayed on my books - they didn't half get a shock when they moved elsewhere!

Just because you are new doesn't mean you won't offer quality care. Before you get ALL the resources you really want you can improvise. can't afford sandpit yet, a cheap potting tray filled with sand will do you until next year. It's how you are with the kids and what play opps you offer that are more important than all singing all dancign resources.

Locally to me new minders are charging top end or way over local rate and are struggling to get work. I don't know why they are chargign so much but they are but I think staying average will be the best way. Don't undersell yourself:D