PDA

View Full Version : What to charge?

BlondeMoment
10-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi there everyone

Got a dilema on my hands.

Have been looking sfter a LO for 6 months and occasionally have her sister as well in the school holidays. Her mum now wants me to take the sister after school on a permanent basis so have agreed to charge from 3 till 6.

Contracted agreement is that when the parents wish to take holiday the fee is charged at half rate to hold the place so my usual LO is charged at half her 9 - 6 rate. What do I charge for the older sibling? Because if a holiday day happens to be on a school holiday I'd have got a full days pay for her which seems unfair to charge half of when she's only going to be a usual 3-6

:panic: :panic: :panic:

Really like the mum and she's not rich so don't want to start charging willy nilly but sister will be occupying a place

Any advise? What would you do?

The Juggler
10-03-2011, 11:03 PM
why not just say if they take hols when it is school hols they just pay the 3 hour fee.

mushpea
11-03-2011, 06:56 AM
with my schoolies if they come in the holidays then on the contract in the box where it says additional information I put the hours that they would come for in the school holidays then when they to on their hols I charge half the fee, so for instance one of mine would come 8-6pm in the school holidays so I charge half fee for the whole day. also if they have booked a day then change their mines I still charge for the day.

Chimps Childminding
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I tend to charge just what they would pay for a school day - but then I'm a soft touch :blush:

AliceK
11-03-2011, 09:44 AM
I tend to charge just what they would pay for a school day - but then I'm a soft touch :blush:

Me too :blush:

xxxxx

BlondeMoment
17-03-2011, 10:33 PM
with my schoolies if they come in the holidays then on the contract in the box where it says additional information I put the hours that they would come for in the school holidays then when they to on their hols I charge half the fee, so for instance one of mine would come 8-6pm in the school holidays so I charge half fee for the whole day. also if they have booked a day then change their mines I still charge for the day.

Thats what I've done. After all the place is booked and you can't fill it

keatingschick
17-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I dont do afterschool anymore but when I did, IF the holiday fell on a school day then I charged half of the school time fee, but if the holiday fell in a holiday when I would normally get a full days fee for her I'd charge half of that. The only time I had a dilema re this was if a bank holiday was attatched to a school week, but thats gone now as we can no longer charge for bankers.

BlondeMoment
18-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I dont do afterschool anymore but when I did, IF the holiday fell on a school day then I charged half of the school time fee, but if the holiday fell in a holiday when I would normally get a full days fee for her I'd charge half of that. The only time I had a dilema re this was if a bank holiday was attatched to a school week, but thats gone now as we can no longer charge for bankers.

We can't charge for bank holidays anymore? I never have anyway as it's all too complicated knowing what to charge. But since when has that been the case?

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 10:20 AM
We can't charge for bank holidays anymore? I never have anyway as it's all too complicated knowing what to charge. But since when has that been the case?

When I first registered I didnt charge for Bank Holidays, but I used to go to a support group and was sort of helped by older established minders who said that I SHOULD charge and put it in the contract.

So I felt a little ??? re charging so I just charged 1/2 fee like all other holidays but quoted DOUBLE if parents wanted me to work a bank holiday.

But then I think a couple of years ago it came up in WHO MINDS, and I spoke to the NCMA about it who said that you couldnt expect a parent to pay for a bank holiday, and they no longer have this option on the contacts just the option of bank holidays you are willing to work.

So I just put in that I dont work bank holidays unless by negotiation but it will be charged at double time.

The thing is, this came to my mind recently with regard to the Royal Wedding being given as a bank hol. My husband has his own business and was "on one" cos they called a bank holiday for the wedding meaning he had to give his lads the day off but had to pay them COS OF THE WEDDING!!! In the past say at the world cup, he has said "if u want to watch the big game, yeah thats fine but u dont get paid" but this time he has to give the lads the day off and has to pay them. This brought my attention to OUR side of things and we have this holiday - its not a choice, we already have bank holiday days which we cant charge for and now they've given another day where we loose a days pay.

BlondeMoment
18-03-2011, 12:03 PM
When I first registered I didnt charge for Bank Holidays, but I used to go to a support group and was sort of helped by older established minders who said that I SHOULD charge and put it in the contract.

So I felt a little ??? re charging so I just charged 1/2 fee like all other holidays but quoted DOUBLE if parents wanted me to work a bank holiday.

But then I think a couple of years ago it came up in WHO MINDS, and I spoke to the NCMA about it who said that you couldnt expect a parent to pay for a bank holiday, and they no longer have this option on the contacts just the option of bank holidays you are willing to work.

So I just put in that I dont work bank holidays unless by negotiation but it will be charged at double time.

The thing is, this came to my mind recently with regard to the Royal Wedding being given as a bank hol. My husband has his own business and was "on one" cos they called a bank holiday for the wedding meaning he had to give his lads the day off but had to pay them COS OF THE WEDDING!!! In the past say at the world cup, he has said "if u want to watch the big game, yeah thats fine but u dont get paid" but this time he has to give the lads the day off and has to pay them. This brought my attention to OUR side of things and we have this holiday - its not a choice, we already have bank holiday days which we cant charge for and now they've given another day where we loose a days pay.

Yes I know. The Royal Wedding is a real pain for us self employed peeps! Not to sound like a grump but days pay is often about £100 depending on who I've got

keatingschick
18-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes I know. The Royal Wedding is a real pain for us self employed peeps! Not to sound like a grump but days pay is often about £100 depending on who I've got

To be honest I hadnt really thought about it. My husband just came home from work and was going on about it saying how he had to let the lads have the day off but had to pay them, and its not like any of them are actually that interested so they get a day off, he looses a days work from them but has to pay for the privilidge and being self employed himself if he doesnt work he doesnt earn and cant work if there is no1 there to work with him. But then I thought about my job and realised that I'll loose a days pay for it. So to be honest the Royal wedding IS a pain!

hahah I sound like a grump now lol

BlondeMoment
22-03-2011, 07:31 PM
To be honest I hadnt really thought about it. My husband just came home from work and was going on about it saying how he had to let the lads have the day off but had to pay them, and its not like any of them are actually that interested so they get a day off, he looses a days work from them but has to pay for the privilidge and being self employed himself if he doesnt work he doesnt earn and cant work if there is no1 there to work with him. But then I thought about my job and realised that I'll loose a days pay for it. So to be honest the Royal wedding IS a pain!

Ah well. It's a lay in I guess lol

crazyhazy
22-03-2011, 08:28 PM

sorry to derail but he doesn't have to give his employees the bank holiday off if he doesn;t want to depending what he has written in their contracts. I worked previously for a bank of all places and guess what we did not get bank holidays off, nor paid any extra for them. When you're self employed nobody but you makes the rules!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-03-2011, 09:00 PM
You can charge for bank holidays and that is why NCMA have removed the whole section from their contracts. I am being paid fully for my Royal Wedding.

I charge my after school children full rate in all the holidays unless I am off as the space is there. However, if the parent wanted holidays and you have said 50% off then it would be 50% off the holiday rate

At the end of the day you are a business.