PDA

View Full Version : Observation Journal and Parents Contact book

sooz22
10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I am a newly registered childminder and i had planned on having a parent contact book which i will send home every night with information about what we have done today, what they have eaten and so on. I also planned to have a Development Journal where i would put all the observations and would send that home quarterly.

However in my suitable person inspection i was told i could incorporate the 2 and make observations in the parent contact book (sent home daily) and explain what we have done each day, how we will develop each skill next time and include pictures. The inspector said this was something someone was doing and that she thought it was a great idea. I gave it some thought and decided to use this idea aswell, however i now cant help wondering if this will be all ill need to do.

Has anyone else just used one book?? can anyone give me any advice??

babs
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
i use to do a daily diary and Lj but now just do Lj as i talk to parents each night about sleeps, food, nappies and anything new they have done or tried. Lj's are available for parents to see anytime they want to and i ask them to take them home once a month. some just sit here and have a cuppa and look though them others take them home and i get them back 2 months later :eek: ... I also give out sheets and ask them to fill in occasionally as to what they have done over the weekend and get any piccys. so get parents info as well works for me.... and im not writing stuff down that i tell them at the end of the day. i did discuss diaries with parents before i withdrew them and we all agreed..

karensmart4
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi, Personally I would keep the 2 seperate, the main reason being the home diaries tend to go missing or parents forget to bring them, don't get me wrong some parents are brilliant and bring them everytime and some even write messages in them.... but this isn't consistant across the board :panic:

The other reason I wouldn't do this is because when a child leaves/moves on, I like to make their Journal into a keepsake book, I have a ring binder and do a nice front cover in the journal I also put samples of their work, photo's of outings etc so it's not just a EYFS statement, it's really personal, I hope that makes sense :D

BUT you must do what you feel is right for you and your mindee's, it's trial and error at the begining to see what works best :D

miffy
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I have an A4 folder for each child. I do daily diaries on A4 sheets (2 days per side) and parents see these and sign them each day. They go in the A4 file along with the child's obs, artwork, plans etc and this goes home every term for parents to read/comment on.

There's no right way of doing things - you just need to sort out what works for you.

Miffy xx

sarah707
10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I have found that diaries tend to get lost, left in the car boot, scribbled on, used as scrap paper or overlooked at the bottom of children's bags.

For this reason I also have a file for the child's learning journey which is kept here and which parents are welcome to see at any convenient time.

I invite parents in at least half termly and encourage them to write / make comments which I then include.

hth :D

caz3007
10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I only do one daily diary and thats cos I dont see mum as its always someone else who drops and collects and we both felt it was important to have the communication. LO has just started with me, but she also has a LJ which I will send home every half a term or so.

I have started daily diaries with other parents at their request, but they fell by the wayside when they didnt send them back.

sooz22
11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank you so much for all your answers. I have now set up seperate Parent Contact Books and Learning Journals.

Mrs Book
11-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Even though I talk to mom everynight I still write a daily diary. It is great to refer back to when needed, but like someone said they do get lost.

Mindee's mom has lost her daily diary and I needed so notes from it as referce for evidence.