PDA

View Full Version : Need advice asap please!

rhea26
10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi I am unsure what to do, I have mindee today who is 3 , he is my friends son and always so happy here but mum had new baby this week and he was fine this morning but very emotional this afternoon, was crying saying he missing mum and wants to go home, settled him on sofa with drink and said we would see how he was in a minute once I put buggy away, he sat quietly watching bit of tv then said he wants to stay, he keeps getting upset though and crying and said he wants to go home, he is due to go at 5 but not sure whether to phone mum and tell her how he is and see if they want to pick him up earlier or not ring?
I dont want to worry mum but he looks so said and doesnt want to play or join in, feel bad keeping him here as I know all he wants is a cuddle with mum.
What would you do?
Thanks.

georgie456
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I would keep him with you for now - 5.00 will be here before you know it.
It's so hard when a new baby comes bless him! My 22mth mindee has just had a new brother and he is hating coming to me at the moment.
I guess all they can see is mum is leaving them and then going off with the new baby :( I think all you can do is give lots of cuddles and let him know mum will be coming to get very soon and you bet she has missed him loads today.
Have a chat with mum for ideas - maybe he could bring his fav toy with him for a bit for comfort or something.

Mouse
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't phone - it's so close to home time already.

Why not see if he wants to make a picture for mummy and baby to give him something to do for them?

cs01
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
As it's not long till he is due to go home I would just try and distract him as much as possible until then. I would mention to mum that he has been upset today. He is probably out of sorts due to the new baby and will settle down again soon. It's probably best to keep his routine with you going as at least that's consistent. I think alot of children feel a bit miffed when a new sibling comes along. I'm sure you have done the best you can for him today.

rhea26
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for replies, we have had lots of cuddles and I keep saying how I bet mummy can't wait to see him and painted her a nice picture, he just looks so sad sat there:( He's just looking at some books so hoping that will keep him occupied.
Thanks again :)

georgie456
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for replies, we have had lots of cuddles and I keep saying how I bet mummy can't wait to see him and painted her a nice picture, he just looks so sad sat there:( He's just looking at some books so hoping that will keep him occupied.
Thanks again :)

Aw that is heartbreaking :( Maybe have a look in the library or online for some books for children on having a new baby in the family to read with him while he is with you. I love that he has painted her a picture - what a little sweetheart!

rhea26
10-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Thats a good idea about the books, we went to the park and he found a leaf he wanted to give to mummy, then I said we could do some painting and he wanted to stick his leaf on ! Think he is bit poorly as well, dad did say when he dropped of that he has a cough and in last half hour he looks bit pale and coughing and looks tired, just not himself bless him, dad just picked him up so he is of home to cuddles with mummy! x