PDA

View Full Version : Continuity for a baby!

muffins
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
I've got couple who want me to care for there baby of 9mths for 1 out of 2days a week, they work shifts.

My problem is I'm thinking it would be better for the baby if he was here for both the 2 days each week, as it would give him a better chance at feeling settled here. I've not had a baby for only one day a week before but have known other CM's who have & had problems settling them, also the local nursery won't take a child under 2yrs for any less than 2 days for this reason.

How do I tell them I want there baby to be away from them when its not needed by them! Is there any written advice on line that I could show them?

What do you think & have you had a experience of this?

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I've taken on a few children for just 1 day hon it's fine. However, if they want 1 day care across 2 days then I would def. charge for teh 2 days as they will be using up one of your spaces. You may then want to suggest to them, that as they are paying for the 2 days that for settling in it might be better for baby to attend the 2 days initially so that they have more time to get used to the setting.

You will probably find they end up using the second day most of the time, after that.

muffins
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks:) I was thinking of charging them a retainer fee for the 2nd day (half fee) cos 1 of the days will be a Saturday which is charged at a higher rate anyway & I'm happy to just have the day with my 2 LO's, as there'll be just 1 & 2yrs when he starts!:D

caz3007
10-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a LO who was just 1 and he only did 1 day a week and he settled quite
quick. Also just gone 4 days a week with a little girl who will be 1 soon and she had a month of 1 day a week and it worked fine. So I dont think it will necessarily make a difference on how long the child may take to settle and wouldnt want to work both days every week if it entailed a Saturday

muffins
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't mind wprking the Saturday, if anything I prefer it as its more pennies 4 me! My husband works shifts all week round & my oldest LO won't start sch till sept 2013 so week ends makes no difference to me!:)

I was just worried about the babies settling in, what I'll prob do is ask if he can do both days for the 1st 2-3 weeks!

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks:) I was thinking of charging them a retainer fee for the 2nd day (half fee) cos 1 of the days will be a Saturday which is charged at a higher rate anyway & I'm happy to just have the day with my 2 LO's, as there'll be just 1 & 2yrs when he starts!:D

Ah, well what I think I would do is charge for every Friday (as it's a work day) regardless of attendance then charge a 1/2 fee retainer for Saturdays at normal rate which would be topped up to a full day at your enhanced Sat rate if and when Saturdays are used.

And, also given it's Saturdays I wouldn't offer to have the child for 2 days to settle in - does that make me mean :blush: :blush: