PDA

View Full Version : does this sound okay?

levason
10-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I have my first potential After school parent coming to see me this morning, she's looking for mon & friday for her two children who go to the school right opposite my house. I was thinking of asking for a months deposit as it's not till sept and keep 50% as some income for myself and deduct 50% from the 1st bill, how does this sound?xx

moogster1a
10-03-2011, 08:36 AM
When will you give her the other 50% back tha you're spending now? A deposit means that at some point it's returned or used in exchange of services

The Juggler
10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
if it's a deposit hon, you don't have to give any back or offset against first months fees, you can hold and use against final months payment (for if she ever gives notice). You can't spend it though so it's not available for her to do that if you see what I mean.

However, if you charge a retainer, which is a part fee to hold the place then you are free to spend that as you wish.

I wouldn't normally charge a retainer for a schoolie for september but it is a long way off. If you are turning away business now because you are holding the place then a retainer might be in order but I would just say take a deposit and then keep that to offset against first or last months fees.:)

levason
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Thank you! Yes sorry i didn't word it well I realise a deposit can not be used as cm income, but was thinking of a deposit and retainer as it's not till sept and they definitely want the space but I've had some other interest too so wanted something incase they did pull out and I lost out. xx