PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for toys/resources

Twinkle-Toes
09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Hiya everyone,

I am in the very early stages of my childminding journey! Due to go on my briefing session soon where i'm not sure if this will be covered or not?!

I have tentatively started sorting out a playroom and have as yet NOTHING to go in it. My daughters toys are most definitely theirs and due to us sorting them frequently don't seem to have anything at present they are willing to relinquish!

I know/hope that i will not be expected to have a full to bursting assortment of resources from day 1 but i'm looking for recommendations of what i'm best spending my money on. Baring in mind i don't know what age or sex children to expect!

Thanks alot,
Kate

JaneinDownend
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
This is a question I had as well. So if anyone could give us any pointers it would be really appreciated.

The Juggler
11-03-2011, 07:59 AM
i would visit a few charity shops and see what you can find. keep an eye out for the sales and on netmums/freecycle.

I would start off with some sort of

construction (blocks/lego)
smallworld (farm, happyland, trainset, cars and garage)

lots of scrap paper and 'bits' start keeping tissue paper, offcuts, wrappings for junk modeeling and gluing now and you'll have tons.

pens, pencils, chalks, paint and brushes

outdoors keep it simple some sort of board for chalking or just chalks for the floor and brushes for waterpaint. Maybe some garden tools and a few buckets or just empty plantpots for digging and filling.

dolls, clothes, feedign stuff and a buggy

set of instruments

books (head to the library when they have their sale on you should get loads for a few pounds).

see if you can collect some old mobile phones/phones etc from your family as they renew contracts, old cameras etc so you have some 'real' stuff.

eventually and for bigger items I'd recommend a sandpit and a water table (or one that does both), easels for outside, ride ons.

Dress up stuff (collect as you go)

a small potting tray/tuffspot for messy play and messy smallworld play (cornflour etc)

add a veggie patch outside if you can and mirrors etc.

Good luck
x

RainbowMum
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Dont go overboard on plastic noisy toys, go for open ended items like different sizes of wooden blocks, a treasure basket, a collection of hats and bags, new cat litter trays are a great start for messy play, make yr own play dough, a tin of buttons, puzzles, books books and more books. Most things you will be able to pick up at car bppt and charity shops. Also see if there is a toy library in your area and the library also may do story sacks.
Try not to overload on colour too - its overstimulating and can stop children engaging in an activity for long because they are easily distracted.

caz3007
11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I have managed to pick up lots of bits in ebay/freecycle and the charity shop. If I search ebay I always look within a 10 mile radius and ask to collect. Car boot season is starting.

Mine love the wooden train set, cars, stacking beakers, duplo and I make my own playdough. We have several cheap shops in town so I keep a look out for craft stuff. Stickers are popular here and I only pay about a £1 for a tub of foam stickers or several sheets of other ones

Another free idea, is sign up for a couple of seed catalogues. We then cut them up and use for collage.

Mel_Johnson
11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Nearly New sales are a great way to pick up really good and reasonable toys. I've got most of mine from there.

Twinkle-Toes
11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Thats all fabulous advice :D , I have just been to the charity shop and spent £18!!

Very true about car boot season, i forget how much i LOVE them! Put something in a box and i can't help but rummage through it lol

Thanks again,

Kate

The Juggler
11-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Dont go overboard on plastic noisy toys, go for open ended items like different sizes of wooden blocks, a treasure basket, a collection of hats and bags, new cat litter trays are a great start for messy play, make yr own play dough, a tin of buttons, puzzles, books books and more books. Most things you will be able to pick up at car bppt and charity shops. Also see if there is a toy library in your area and the library also may do story sacks.
Try not to overload on colour too - its overstimulating and can stop children engaging in an activity for long because they are easily distracted.

def. agree on the plastic. was going to put that too. natural resources can be expensive to buy if they are purpose made as toys but there is so much stuff you can just get like the packaging, shells from teh beech, sticks and stones from the woods:thumbsup:

flowerpots
11-03-2011, 01:01 PM
our kitchen is a big hit :D

Chell
11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Poundland is good for crafty things such as coloured paper, stickers, seasonal crafts (Easter, Christmas, etc). I buy something every time I go in there.

You'll need some toys that show diversity, people from other cultures, people with disabilities, etc. You'll find loads of threads on this if you search.