PDA

View Full Version : Can't think of alternative .. rehoming our dog

newandlearning
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
hi all...

I feel such a failure with my life.. my husband and I split 1.5 years ago and all I've done since is work, look after our 2 young boys, have students and try to steal time to work dog, have time for me etcetc.

I'm now completely emotionally drained and tired of pushing buggies threw parks where we all get muddy including our dog.. on lots of occasions our poor lil dog doesn't even get out as trying to go walking in park with 4 under 5's isn't always fun and then at weekends my own 3 & 5 year olds whinge about taking him out...

last week I accidently walked poo through the house and had to clean carpet and everything.. today the dog got completely muddy whilst out and needed a complete shampoo and set.. and I find it difficult factoring these things as well as everything else to my childminding day...

Today I phoned a rehoming centre to take him and give him a new home where he will get his walks.. he's a lovely dog, I love him, he listens well, he's great with the kids, and I do in everyway take care of him but feel a failure when it comes to trying to walk him each day...

I can't afford to use the money I do have on dogwalkers, innoculations, flea stuff etc etc and have no one who can help me consistancy with him...

has anyone else rehomed their dog? does it sound like being somewhere else would be better for him? its going to seem empty here without him :(

ziggy
09-03-2011, 05:53 PM
oh poor you, how upsetting. I do think you are doing the right thing though

My husband died, then my daughter went off to university, we had a lovely dog we got from a dog shelter. I went on holiday and left her with my parents, who live very close by. She was much happier with them as, like you, it was so difficult walking her with mindees and i'm too tired in the evenings. Dad walks her every day and of course now pays for food, vets fees etc

I do hope it all works out for you and the dog

mushpea
09-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Its a difficult decision and you need to make sure its what you really want as obviously you cant get him back once hes gone,,,, we have had to rehome a dog before,, we got him from a shelter and all was great for a year then he developed fear aggresion and we couldnt keep him,, he was great with the children and anyone he knew but anyone he didnt know he would growl and bark at and i couldnt take the risk that one day he might turn on a child,, it was awful having to do it but I am happy knowing that he was giving a loving home with people who could train him out of the fear aggresion.
we have a labrador now and hes lovley ,,my partner walks him at 5am for half hour before work when he runs of the lead then one of walks him again for half hour at night on the lead then at the weekends we go for walks as a family with him,,, my kids do moan somtimes but once they are out they enjoy the walks and as for the mindees they pester to take him out but then its not every day we have to take him,,,,,could you maybe pay for a dog walker for 2 or 3days of the week then you take him out the rest of the week? is there a bit of a routine you could do with him,,,, I have found that if a dog has a bit of a walking routine then thats what they get used to and dont pester for more,,, like you could do 15mins in the morning then 15mins at night then longer walks at the weekend so its not so much in the week or somthing

jane5
09-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Don't feel guilty as he will be found a wonderful home.

I had to have my dog re homed many years ago when I split up with my hh as I just couldn't give her the attention she deserved whilst working full time and looking after 4 children on my own.

It's a hard thing to do but but we can not do everything on our own:(

flora
09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
The flip side of the coin.........

we have rescued/ rehomed 5 dogs now. They have all been given up by previooous owners for all sorts of reasons. They now have a forever home on a farm with other dogs where they can live with us till they die.

What sort of dog do you have???? If I am close enough I can alwasy find room for oner more :thumbsup:

The Juggler
09-03-2011, 09:52 PM
oh hon. I couldn't cope with that amount of cleanign up. just the kids is hard enough and I have dh here too. I think it's the right decision. And Flora what a lovely offer :)

newandlearning
09-03-2011, 09:57 PM
What sort of dog do you have???? If I am close enough I can alwasy find room for oner more :thumbsup:

That is a lovely offer.. thank you ;) .. I live down South and have a lovely lil westie.. 5 dogs .. wow.. you must be a busy lady.. where do you find time to childmind? :)

jumpinjen
09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a short haired dog with a 'drying off' box in the garage and a front garage door for after muddy walks. I have a triple that is a mega off roader and laminate floors for some of the reasons that you mentioned.... i'm not sure i could deal with a long haired dog..... there is a westie rehoming centre somewhere in the midlands just for westie lovers...... how sad for you, big hugs, Jen x