PDA

View Full Version : breakfast here or at home?

candy cat
09-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi one of my mindees parents is starting in a few weeks (has done settling in since Sept) wants her coming at 9am next week .....'oh you will have to give her breakfast!' I said well I would really like her to have it before if that's ok.....Normally my breakfast is between 7.30-8.30 as school run is at 8.45am (pick up school so can't be late) then groups start at 9.15 some days. Now this mindee will start doing 8.30 start,so am I being unreasonable in asking her to feed her child before she comes.....

caz3007
09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I dont think you are being unreasonable in expecting them to have eaten by 8.30, especially as your school run is only 15 minutes later. I dont do breakfast as a rule, but am starting next week with a before schooler at 7.30 and will be doing brekkie as it suits me. Only him and my own DS here that early

mumx3
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM
My breakfast time is between 7.30am and 8am as we start the school run at 8.15am.

If children require breakfast their contracted hours must be from 7.30am and they must arrive by 7.45am.

I tried doing breakfast for those who arrived at 8am when I first started. It doesnt work. We end up late for school.

I have done breakfast at 9.30am (once we got to toddlers) for a baby who was being weaned, but she had he milk with mum before arriving at 8am.

gigglinggoblin
09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
9am would be too late for me, we are often out at that time. I would ask her to make sure child has eaten before they arrive.

MissTinkerbell
09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't think you are being unreasonable. I only offer breakfast for children who arrive before 8am. My children have breakfast at 7.30 so we are usually cleared away by 8am so I wouldn't want to be doing a 2nd sitting.

Goatgirl
09-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi,
I'd just say to Mum that 'about breakfast: I had another think about it to see if I could help, but I definitely can't provide it here'. You can always back up your decision with the time restraints you're under, but don't feel obliged. There's no reason they can't sort out breakfast at home. All my families feed their children before they drop them, from 7.30 onwards....

Good luck :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

ziggy
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
some of mine arrive at 7.30 and i do offer breakfast between 8- 8.30 but not for anyone arriving after 9am due to nursery run

amanda1309
09-03-2011, 05:55 PM
To have breakfast at mine you have to arrive before 8am. Any later and we would be late for school.

Baildon bears
09-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I also only give breakfast to 7.30 starters i have enough to do in the morning Im usually running around like a headless chicken:D

mushpea
09-03-2011, 06:26 PM
not unreasnable at all,, I have 7.30am and he has breakfast at home first

rickysmiths
09-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Mine have to be here by 8am to get breakfast.

Alibali
09-03-2011, 06:33 PM
No breakfast after 8am here either, no reason they can't be fed before they come. Otherwise lo will just have to wait till you get to group and do her breakfast there.

candy cat
09-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone.....

westbrom44
09-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I have given quite a few children their breakfast after 9am as mum hasnt had time before leaving for work. It depends on the child.

If I have gone out then I have given breakfast on arrival at toddler group or whatever. I dont see it as a problem if this is the child's normal routine and are happy to wait. Some children have milk when they get up and then want a later breakfast.

Deb
09-03-2011, 09:27 PM
LIke westbrom - schoolies need to be here before 7.45 or have breakfast at home, the babies and toddlers can have brekkie at playgroup or here but the parent know it wont be until 9.30 -if they have had milky or something then that's ok.

I charge for breakfast too.

The Juggler
09-03-2011, 09:57 PM
mine need to be here 7.45 if they want breakfast. I leave at 8.20 and I want the breakfast done at least 15 mins before we leave.

Tell her what time breakfast is. I presume mum eats before going to work, can't she just give her breakfast then??

jibberjitz
09-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I start at 8am and dont provide breakfast!

Shirlwith3
10-03-2011, 06:25 AM
I care for 9month old twins (born 12 wks early) & have to give them breakfast at 9 which is when we get back from school run which I find as a pain as by the time I have walked back from school they are asleep so miss it, I too think they could have it earlier as I normally take the dog out for his morning walk when I get back, also once I have done their breakfast it is almost time for their bottle at 10.

buildingblocks
11-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi one of my mindees parents is starting in a few weeks (has done settling in since Sept)

wow that s long settling in time

wants her coming at 9am next week .....'oh you will have to give her breakfast!'

Firstly she doesn't tell you what to do she can ask ifyou would mind

I said well I would really like her to have it before if that's ok.....

Hard as it is you need to say no

Normally my breakfast is between 7.30-8.30 as school run is at 8.45am (pick up school so can't be late) then groups start at 9.15 some days.

then that is when you give breakfast

Now this mindee will start doing 8.30 start,so am I being unreasonable in asking her to feed her child before she comes.....

Stick to your guns or she will possibly mess you around on other things as well. I don't do breakfasts after 8am for the reason I leave on a school run at 8.30 - what if you had a slow eater. Remember it is your business and you make the rules. I am always flexible but if a parent tells me and doesn't ask politely then I don't do it.

oops also meant to add. Babies are a different kettle of fish and will feed baby when they need it according to routine once I am back home or at a group.

Also I charge extra for breakfast so parents have to pay for breakfast. One mum dropped a child once and said oh I was up late so didn't have time to give breakfast so I told him you would give him some - I said thats fine that will be and whatever the cost at the time was. She said oh I am not paying for it don't bother (yes I gave child some toast along with the others for snack and did snack earlier than normal).