PDA

View Full Version : how do you get along with your childmindre coordinator?

cristinatuscanu
09-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Hello ladies,i'm feeling realy sad today as my childminder's coordinator told me a few times that i must mind only children over 5 because i have a daugther who is 2 years and 5 months.She's seen my daugther at playgroups and she doesn't like sharing ans she thinks that i wouldn't cope with children younger that 5 years ols.Is ofsted registered me for 2 under 5 and 3 over 5,why not minding children under 5?I know i can handle it,why is she so sure that i can't?She also said that she had an enquiery from a mum with a one year old baby and she would not recomend me.She made it clear that i won't get any help from them with finding children under 5 because I MUST GET ONLY OVER 5'S.Is not fair to not give a chance.I feel like not joining their childminding network at all.I am on my own and that's it.

onceinabluemoon
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Hiya hunnie,

If Ofsted thought you couldn't cope with under fives they wouldn't have registered you.

If you dd really has a problem with sharing why not ask your coordinator for some advice to nip it in the bud, then you are showing her that you are trying to work through it. Unless your dd is really aggressive I do not understand why your coordinator is so down on your minding little ones.

What exactly does your dd do at playgroup when she doesn't want to share? Maybe we can suggest some ways to work through it?

miss mopple
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
If ofsted have registered you for under fives quite frankly its none of your development workers business.

You are self employed and dont work for her so she has no right to comment like that. Her role should be to support you, not criticise.

To be honest I would lodge a complaint. She is bang out of order :angry:

cs01
09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
If ofsted have registered you for under fives quite frankly its none of your development workers business.

You are self employed and dont work for her so she has no right to comment like that. Her role should be to support you, not criticise.

To be honest I would lodge a complaint. She is bang out of order :angry:

I agree! I can't believe the cheek of it.

Mouse
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Is it a development worker or a childminding vacancy co-ordinator you're talking about? Either way, they could advise you on which children to look after, but not tell you - that's up to you, Ofsted and any parents who come to you to decide whether or not you can manage.

If it's a development worker, complain to her department. If it's a vacancy co-ordinator, complain to whoever oversees the scheme.

cristinatuscanu
09-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Thank you all for your understanding,it does make me feel better.She is the childminder coordinator in my area,she is suposed to help childminders,she did not help me with anything,i have registered recently and the only help i had was this forum,i learned every thing from here.As for my dd ,she is a normal 2 years old that doesn't like sharing toys with other children and won't stay without me for a minute,so it seems that the coordinator did observe her at all times and she got her opinion from that.Lots of mums have more then one child and not always they play nice and share but they still cope,why not me? I am thinking that yes,she should advice me not put me down.I don't know about complaining,if i do that,then i won't be able to go and meet other childminders and i do need a back up childminder too.Maybe i should just ignore her opinion and do my thing,but it worries me that she goes around the centre and asks parents whether they need childcare and will not recomand me at all.I have no chance on finding mindees from that children centre, i did put up a leaflet to advertise but...

Blackcat
09-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't know about complaining,if i do that,then i won't be able to go and meet other childminders

why won't you be able to go and meet the other childminders?

cristinatuscanu
09-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Becouse she runs the childminding network.This takes place every week and local childminders meet and discuss,i don't think i could go and see her again after complaining about her,she won't be happy for sure.

Blackcat
09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Becouse she runs the childminding network.This takes place every week and local childminders meet and discuss,i don't think i could go and see her again after complaining about her,she won't be happy for sure.

she sounds like shes not doing her job properly. the childminder groups are suppose to be run by childminders, or thats the way they are here.
Don't let her bully you hun xxx

Mouse
09-03-2011, 05:42 PM
If you don't want to complain about her, how about trying to get some of the other childminders on your side? Explain to them that you're struggling to get work in the under 5s age, so if they hear of anyone looking, would they please pass your name on :thumbsup:

cristinatuscanu
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
she sounds like shes not doing her job properly. the childminder groups are suppose to be run by childminders, or thats the way they are here.
Don't let her bully you hun xxx

I won't let her bully me,i'll just ignore her and keep my hopes up:)

cristinatuscanu
09-03-2011, 07:29 PM
If you don't want to complain about her, how about trying to get some of the other childminders on your side? Explain to them that you're struggling to get work in the under 5s age, so if they hear of anyone looking, would they please pass your name on :thumbsup:

I'll try this,that's a good advice,thank you :)

Shortwoman
10-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I have a co-ord who is very nice, but has tried to give her opinion a couple of times about what children 'she thinks' I should have because I only have 2 young minded children as well as my son on the days when I work and I don't do school p/ups. The last time she mentioned it, I said to her 'you see the thing is.....it's my 'choice' to just have 2 children and no school pick ups'. I used the word 'choice' as she had been talking to me about giving children choices only 5 mins before. She paused... then said 'okay'. I think if your co-ordinator talks about things that are nothing to do with her, be strong, give answers that 'shut down' the subject and choose another subject that she can help you with. The Children's Centre is notthe only place to fill your vacancies. Also, my son found it hard to share initially and it's been hard but I have dealt with it by having 3 of some cheap toys or resources that cost nothing (x3 cardboard tubes form inside the kitchen roll), playing sharing games or turn taking. Also in the last 6-12 months letting my son have control over toys he does not want to share (e.g. the ones in his room that stay separate from what is downstairs in the play room) and allowing him to separate from the minded children if he is tired. Do what suits you and your family, not some woman who doesn't even know you! Sorry for long reply, bad habit!

Blackcat
10-03-2011, 07:45 AM
totally agree with shortwoman :thumbsup:

Penny1959
10-03-2011, 02:06 PM
As an ex childminding coordinator I can say - IT IS NONE OF HER BUSINESS.

Ofsted are the ones who say how many children you are registered for not childminding coordinators.

Penny :)

The Juggler
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Listen to Penny ;) :laughing:

seriously - cheeky moo. i would speak to her. Tell her, how on earth is your daughter going to learn to share unless she has daily experiences with other children. Would she expect you not to take on a child of 2 because they couldn't share - no that would be seriously frowned on.

Then tell her you hope she's not going about dissing you and stopping other CM's passing on your info when they have vacancies because that wouldn't be very professional and that you are dealing with your dd fine and will deal with similar issues with minded children fine should they arise.

then tell her to stick that in her pipe and smoke it :cool:

cristinatuscanu
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a co-ord who is very nice, but has tried to give her opinion a couple of times about what children 'she thinks' I should have because I only have 2 young minded children as well as my son on the days when I work and I don't do school p/ups. The last time she mentioned it, I said to her 'you see the thing is.....it's my 'choice' to just have 2 children and no school pick ups'. I used the word 'choice' as she had been talking to me about giving children choices only 5 mins before. She paused... then said 'okay'. I think if your co-ordinator talks about things that are nothing to do with her, be strong, give answers that 'shut down' the subject and choose another subject that she can help you with. The Children's Centre is notthe only place to fill your vacancies. Also, my son found it hard to share initially and it's been hard but I have dealt with it by having 3 of some cheap toys or resources that cost nothing (x3 cardboard tubes form inside the kitchen roll), playing sharing games or turn taking. Also in the last 6-12 months letting my son have control over toys he does not want to share (e.g. the ones in his room that stay separate from what is downstairs in the play room) and allowing him to separate from the minded children if he is tired. Do what suits you and your family, not some woman who doesn't even know you! Sorry for long reply, bad habit!

Your coordinator is nice ,yes,she said that she thinks...but mine said with a smile on her face that i must get only over 5's and that she had a request from a mum of a 1 year old and she won't pass my no to her.That's mean and not professional.If i'll get young children i'll folow your advice in putting out 3 identic cheap toys.This centre is not the only place for finding mindees but i should have a chance like any other childminders.Thanks for your advice.:)

cristinatuscanu
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Listen to Penny ;) :laughing:

seriously - cheeky moo. i would speak to her. Tell her, how on earth is your daughter going to learn to share unless she has daily experiences with other children. Would she expect you not to take on a child of 2 because they couldn't share - no that would be seriously frowned on.

Then tell her you hope she's not going about dissing you and stopping other CM's passing on your info when they have vacancies because that wouldn't be very professional and that you are dealing with your dd fine and will deal with similar issues with minded children fine should they arise.

then tell her to stick that in her pipe and smoke it :cool:

I'll speak to her and tell her i am not happy with her not giving my number to people and that is down to parents if they trust me or not with their children.If she won't be happy with this.i'll stop going to their network and find a different centre to join.

georgie456
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
This is outrageous!!!! You are self employed and Ofsted obviously think you are able to handle under 5's - this person cannot tell you what to do with your business.
If she is not passing on your details to prospective parents then she is damaging your business - I hope she is not doing this.
I would have to tell her in no uncertain terms that whilst you are happy to listen to any constructive advice she may have, you are not prepared to listen to that kind of claptrap!

buildingblocks
11-03-2011, 10:51 PM
To be honest I think this is awful.

If this when anywhere else it would be discrimination. As has been said she does not decide who you can look after only Ofsted can tell you what age you can look after (and yourself if you make that decision). If she is giving out childminders numbers and deliberately not giving yours out then she is in the wrong. Sorry but reading this has made made so cross on your behalf.

Shortwoman
12-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Yes, my rant was so long, I forgot to comment on the fact that your co-ord has said 'she won't pass on your details' - agreed with someone earlier who said that is discrimination and completely 'out of order'. Might be worth keeping a record of your conversations with her, especially if she appears to be standing in your way of getting started.

Not fair that you've had to deal with this issue before even getting started, there is enough for you to deal with without the negativity :(

Have you tried putting up a post on here or Netmums or Mumsnet or childcare.co.uk - to advertise for children, worth a try whilst your trying to deal with the politics of your area. Where do you live?

Good luck!

flowerpots
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
COMPLAIN hu, this is disgusting!

My dd (26months) does not like sharing one bit! But since minding she now understands that she needs to share toys or she has to sit out, shes getting slot better and improving daily. i dont think she would be improving quite so much if i wasnt minding children of a similar age.

Tell the co-ordinator if you find out she is discrminating against you and not passing on your details whilst shes passing on others, because of an observation she has made of your daughter, you will complain!

Big :group hug: hun.

xxxxxxxxx

keeks
12-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I can't believe she said this to you! It is truly shocking, and I hope one way or another you get this problem sorted out. She has absolutely no right to treat you or anyone else like this. :angry:

If it was me (now) I would have told her that what she said is unacceptable, and if that didn't help I would make a complaint.

A few years ago though I would not have opened my mouth, and probably just would have avoided her and the network altogether. Thank goodness I'm getting older and less bothered abouth what people think of me!

Also, have you joined childcare.co.uk? I got most of my mindees from there.

Good luck, you don't need to take any bullying from her!!!

xx

cristinatuscanu
12-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Big thank you everyone for thinking about me.I still didn't decide what to do,i feel realy low and angry in the same time and my husband said that i should forget about it and stop going there.I'll go monday and try to talk to her again see what she has to say about not giving my details to people.I'll let you know how it worked out.I did advertise on childcare.co.uk and netmums too,thanks.Have a lovely weekend :)