PDA

View Full Version : DON'T LEAVE THE SEF TILL YOU GET THE OFSTED CALL!!!

tiger79
08-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a word of advice don't leave completing the SEF until you receive the call from Ofsted!! Like me!!

It is a long old process and I have been fretting about doing it for ages, more than halfway through it now, want to get it finished tomorrow and submitted as my inspection is Tues or Weds next week.

Also, if you are struggling buy sarah707's e-book on completing the SEF, well worth the money and it's helping me no end!! (Thanks Sarah!) Oh and my wife's fast typing skills are a bonus too! ;)

Wish I had done it much earlier and will definitely keep it up to date from now on!!

miss mopple
09-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Ive not updated mine since I did it 2 years ago :blush: Really need to do it before my next inspection but to be honest I am far too busy actually looking after the kids ( I do a 66 hr week some weeks!) to do it in work time and refuse to give up all my free family time to do it. If mrs O doesnt like it then so be it. I suspect I'll drop a grade next time but I really don't care. If losing Dad last year taught me one thing it was to make the most of every day and live life to the full, so I refuse to spend my time doing extra paperwork that isn't actually compulsive if I can spend that time doing more important stuff like playing with my kids instead :)

Hebs
09-03-2011, 07:30 AM
i didnt do the sef for my inspection, doubt i will for my next one :blush:

sweets
09-03-2011, 07:35 AM
i didnt do the sef for my inspection, doubt i will for my next one :blush:

me neither :laughing: :laughing:

JulieA
09-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I hadn't completed my SEF by the time I had my inspection. I had made a start (thanks to Sarah) but had not submitted anything. Anyway, when Mrs O visited all she wanted to see was my SEF. She said she was struggling to find any recommendations but had to find something. She would like to recommend that I have a SEF in place, however she couldn't BECAUSE IT'S NOT MANDATORY! I have also embarked on the Bristol Standard, which is also a self-reflective tool and she wasn't interested in this in the slightest. I still got a GOOD though - even though she was only in my house for 1.5 hours and didn't leave the sofa.

Hebs
09-03-2011, 07:40 AM
I hadn't completed my SEF by the time I had my inspection. I had made a start (thanks to Sarah) but had not submitted anything. Anyway, when Mrs O visited all she wanted to see was my SEF. She said she was struggling to find any recommendations but had to find something. She would like to recommend that I have a SEF in place, however she couldn't BECAUSE IT'S NOT MANDATORY! I have also embarked on the Bristol Standard, which is also a self-reflective tool and she wasn't interested in this in the slightest. I still got a GOOD though - even though she was only in my house for 1.5 hours and didn't leave the sofa.

i got a good without a sef and she was the same, never left the sofa and stayed less than 2 hours

miffy
09-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I have a word of advice don't leave completing the SEF until you receive the call from Ofsted!! Like me!!

It is a long old process and I have been fretting about doing it for ages, more than halfway through it now, want to get it finished tomorrow and submitted as my inspection is Tues or Weds next week.

Also, if you are struggling buy sarah707's e-book on completing the SEF, well worth the money and it's helping me no end!! (Thanks Sarah!) Oh and my wife's fast typing skills are a bonus too! ;)

Wish I had done it much earlier and will definitely keep it up to date from now on!!

I totally agree with you.

I had made a start on mine when I got the call and she wanted it submitting before she came so I decided to finish it.

It took me hours to do but was worth it - she didn't ask many questions because (she said) the sef was so detailed and she could see that I did what I said on it.

I wasn't in favour of doing it and I do think it's far too long winded but overall I'm very glad I did.

Good luck with your inspection tiger79

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
09-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Childminders do not have to do the SEF!

As long as you can show you are reflecting on your practice in some other way its fine - I know some say its good practice but personally I dont see the difference between filling in a form that most barely understand to filling out your own reflection sheets within your planning. Mrs O agreed with me and gave me outstanding in all areas!

sarah707
09-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Keep going it sounds like you (and your wife's typing skills) are doing a good job!

Once it's in the Ofsted system keep a log of everything new you do on a blank SEF on your computer.

Then all you have to do is add the information to the bottom of each section of the online SEF with a review date... :D

Penny1959
09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Totally agee - IF you decide to do Ofsted SEF do not leave it until last min. That in itself could be 'evidence' that you have not been self reflecting!

However it is not mandatory - I got outstanding without one and telling Mrs P that did not intend to ever do Ofsted one.

You just have to have evidence that you self reflect, the impact on the children and be aware of your weaknesses and strenghts - this can be done in any number of ways.

Penny :)

Splodge
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I did my ofsted SEF and completed and sent it about 4 weeks before my inspection was due last time. When Mrs O phoned she specifically asked if i had completed it and submitted it which i had. When she arrived she got about half way through the inspection before admitting she had forgotten to read it and apologised.

She was with me about four hours and she did apologise again before she left and joked about me inspecting her. :laughing:

Newbie1!
09-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, am I ever glad Ive seen this post!! My DO came just two weeks ago and said it was expected that I complete a SEF before OFSTED arrived for my first grading visit - to be honest Id put it off and put it off because I was more intent on ensuring planning, LJ's etc were up to date. Its really interesting to see that some dont even do one at all!!! Wish they would give one piece of advice and not move the goalposts all the time :(

Mouse
09-03-2011, 12:18 PM
You're very lucky you've had so much notice & have got time to do your SEF before your inspection!

I had already done mine & was actually really pleased I had. I think it's a good way to blow your own trumpet and tell them about all the things you do that you don't have time to demonstrate during an inspection. But, I do think it should be a lot simpler and less repetitive :thumbsup:

haribo
09-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Ive not updated mine since I did it 2 years ago :blush: Really need to do it before my next inspection but to be honest I am far too busy actually looking after the kids ( I do a 66 hr week some weeks!) to do it in work time and refuse to give up all my free family time to do it. If mrs O doesnt like it then so be it. I suspect I'll drop a grade next time but I really don't care. If losing Dad last year taught me one thing it was to make the most of every day and live life to the full, so I refuse to spend my time doing extra paperwork that isn't actually compulsive if I can spend that time doing more important stuff like playing with my kids instead :)

i completely agree , lifes too short .. one thing ive learnt is to cut the red tape stuff out and do whats important ;)

tiger79
09-03-2011, 05:38 PM
You're very lucky you've had so much notice & have got time to do your SEF before your inspection!

I had already done mine & was actually really pleased I had. I think it's a good way to blow your own trumpet and tell them about all the things you do that you don't have time to demonstrate during an inspection. But, I do think it should be a lot simpler and less repetitive :thumbsup:

I think it's a good way of seeing how you're getting on by writing it all down, once it's done it'll just be a case of updating it. Yes it should be a lot simpler and less repetitive I agree whole heartedly!

Those that have decided not to do the SEF, that's your decision, but yes it may be long winded and take a long time to do but I feel once it's complete it will really help me and assist me during my inspection (which has just been cancelled and now delayed until April!)

Marshmallow
09-03-2011, 07:10 PM
:blush: When Mrs O called, she told me not to both as it wasn't needed.
I just didn't have the time :eek:
So I won't be doing one eva'

( I did however attend the relevant training course :idea: )