PDA

View Full Version : First blood... does it get easier?

venus89
22-04-2008, 12:01 PM
My little 9 month old mindee went home yesterday with a huge bruise in the middle of her forehead from banging it on a door (not headbanging, she slipped). Mum said that it's bound to happen sometimes and that she'd hit in the same place the day before, and I texted her today to check baby is okay. But I must admit I got really worked up - I felt so bad, and was half convinced I'd be sacked!! I found it hard to get to sleep last night for feeling guilty.
When my kids have come back from preschool damaged I've never really batted an eyelid but, oh, it's awful being the person in charge when a child gets hurt.

Do you feel just as bad every time they get hurt or is it worst the first few times?

Twinkles
22-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it will get easier. Just the normal bumps and bruises of childhood.
I am still far more neurotic about mindees than I was with my own kids though.

angeldelight
22-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I think it can depend on what they have done and how the parent reacts to it

My parents are fine with cuts and bruises

Hope the little one is ok

Angel xx

venus89
22-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Whew! I'm glad to hear that. Actually, my Mum says she's far more cautious with my kids that she was with me.... Most prescious things to us and we're far more chilled about them getting hurt than other people's kids.
Luckily Mum is a teacher, and down to earth, she understood. To be honest it was the dad I was worried about more
- I've never met him so I don't know what he's like.

vix84
22-04-2008, 12:52 PM
I felt the same as you the first time, it happened probably a month after the lo started, to make it worse the corner protector on unit had fallen off and typically thats where he bumped! But actually since then touch wood, they only have accidentes about once every couple of months (but they are past the worst of the accidental falls age).
I really wouldnt worry, it will get easier!

venus89
22-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you x I really hope it is only every month or so!

sarah707
22-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I still remember the first child who hurt herself here... I was so relieved at the time that her mother was watching when it happened!

Daft really... accidents happen all the time, in any setting, however carefully a child is watched! :rolleyes:

venus89
22-04-2008, 01:19 PM
One of the kids at our preschool broke his arm falling off the slide - at least I haven't acieved that yet!

Mollymop
22-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I think i would be worried about this type of thing too. But parents must realise, no matter where the children are they are likely to bump and scrap and fall over, etc.
My caitlin is always falling over at playschool and on the way to school ,etc, if the playschool told me that she had had an accident again I would never question whether to "sack" them or not, it can't be helped.
But it doesn't stop you worrying does it? I'll be on here in a few months asking hte same thing:laughing:

Tatia
22-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I sent a nearly 3 year old mindee home on Friday with a goose egg in the middle of his forehead. He tripped over and hit the pavement, bless him. It still looks awful but his mother was so understanding. I was standing right, there, watching him, talking to him and there was nothing I could do about it cos it happened so fast.

I remember I had one mother who was so picky and would question every last little scratch her daughter got when she was with me until the day she had to have her forehead glued back togeher because the lg fell at home with the mum. She stopped being so nitpicky after that!

Cazz
22-04-2008, 02:16 PM
On this subject, I am just starting out and I don't know whether I'm just be neurotic and feeling overwhelmed by everything but one thing that slightly concerns me is if a mindee gets a bruise or something from just being a child, (be it at the childminders or at their own home) and a parent then implies that you may have inflicted some kind of injury on them. Has this ever happened to any of you or is it just a case of building up a good rapport with parents so that they trust you enough not to think this way.

Also, somebody that used to childmind years ago told me that you should get parents to sign a 'disclaimer' if a child arrives with some kind of bruise or injury. Is this the case and if so how would you know if it wasn't glaringly obvious (ie hidden under clothes) unless the parent told you. I'm assuming you're not allowed to strip search a child before they are left in your care!

May be I am just being silly but in this day and age you can't be sure what some people would do. :(

Tatia
22-04-2008, 02:28 PM
My NCMA accident log has a section for existing injuries that I use.

I've never had a parent suggest I've deliberately harmed their child at all. Accidental bruising is fairly easy to see. If it's on forehead, chin, ellbows, knees and shins which is what is likely to get bruised if a child falls. Or if it's on the outer arm or leg which is likely from running into somehtng. Suspicious bruising is in hard to reach spots like inside of arms and legs, the back, tummy, places like that.

I'd say honesty and building a good relationship with parents is gonna alleviate a lot of your concern. The truth is, because of the nature of our jobs, we are vulnerable to allegations. Just keep meticulous records and communicate regularly with parents. It's not that bad, really.

Pipsqueak
22-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree with Tatia - keep good records and speak to the parents. Make them aware that they really should be telling you when they arrive as well if the child has any "existing injuries".

It is horrible when you are the person in charge and a child hurts themselves but its part of growing up and it happens to all kids and the majority of parents are ok about it - some may have a bit of a wobbly but clear explanations and documented evidence help!

Alibali
22-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes it gets easier, especially when you realise that they get more bumps and bruises at the weekends when with their parents!! :D

Ali xx

Cazz
23-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I will remember what you have all said and definetly keep good records. Thanks.

Banana
23-04-2008, 08:56 AM
It used to worry the heck out of me - but as long as you fill out your accident forms there shouldnt be any issue, parents cant expect them to never hurt themselves. We would have to make them sit still and not move all day!!

xxx