PDA

View Full Version : Double Buggies????

arly
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Can anyone recommend a double buggy??

Ive got a 1 year old and a 3 year old the now but 2 babies on the way and a 9mth old starting soon so going to need to invest in a double buggy. :D

PixiePetal
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM
it depends on if you need to put in and out of a car/public transport/off road/long walks/use a buggy board..........................?

lots of people like the out n about 360. seems to do about everything :)

phil and teds not so good for 2 tinies but they have their place for me as I use buses :rolleyes: can also be used as single

sweets
08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
first thing you need to decide really is if you want a tandem or side by side,

if you are using it to go into shops/school gates etc then tandem is better or if you are just using it for walks then a side by side may suit.

will you need to use it on public transport and how big is your boot.

if you decide to go for a tandem then the best i think by far is the jane powertwin, its light to push, can be pushed with one hand and you can fit a buggy board on to make it a triple. and both children get a good view. if you pop the back wheels off its also light to lift into a boot and folds compact.

ive not much experience of a side by side but everyone seems to like the nipper or a baby jogger city mini is popular too.

flora
08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I love my nipper think it is THE best I have ever had and I have pushed a few in my time :D

singingcactus
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I was loaned an Obaby from one of my mums yesterday. I had a 10 month old, and a small 15 month old in it and had a 2 and half year old walking. It was a nightmare! It was like steering a barge - a really really heavy barge. It was a beautiful pram on the straights, and when the 2 year old was behaving but as soon as I had to steer around kids and parents and corners on the school run and the 2 year old decided that she'd had enough of playing nice it was HELL!

Now, I am a mother of twins, and have been childminding for many many years now so I have had lots of experiences with doubles, but the obaby was insanely heavy and the steerability was abysmal!

So whilst I have no suggestions for you, I would say be careful of this one. It is lovely to look at - solid, rugged, wheels that glide, but when you have it full it's not great. :( (shame cos I wanted one - just gonna stick to singles, buggy boards and slings)

Baildon bears
08-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I also love my out n about nipper have single and double, you can get them quite cheap on eBay. It's so easy to push no matter what age children and is fantastic in the snow, I often watch other childminders struggle with there double buggy as I glide along with mine.

chatterbox123
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
don't buy the obaby double side by side, its absolute rubbish. i have it and will be looking to buy a new one soon. you want one that will last, mine on its last legs and i've only had since sept. a childminder friend of mine has the out and about 360 and its a godsend, light and easy to push, not so cheap but worth it. happy shopping.x:)

desiderata
08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I have just bought a Baby Jogger City Elite twin and I love it. looks big and its very sturdy but it fits through my front door easily . Its brilliant to push I have pushed it with two in with one hand and holding on to the other children and it works a dream. Its got big wheels so copes well with all the terrain I encounter.

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Nipper out and about 360 best side by side (but will not fit through your front door)

phil and teds explorer most practical inline (but two babies can not lay down to sleep)

obaby - not recommended

welshcake
08-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I am saving for a mountain buggy twin as i have had many in past and it is the only one that does not give me a bad back and pushes like a dream. x

Rmead
08-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I have the Baby Jogger City Double too and really like it. That and Nipper are quite similar I think. It fits through standard doors and folding up/down is so easy. Very easy to steer one handed as well. Got it second hand on Ebay.

georgie456
08-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I have an old, battered, Mothcare tandem and I love it! It can be a bit heavy but I have 2 x 30 month old in it so no surprise really!!!! It cost me £15 on ebay a few years ago and while it's not the prettiest or sleekest thing in the world, it goes through any doorway, has an enormous basket and is comfortable for the older toddler.....

arly
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
lots of replies..thankyou all :thumbsup: I have a renault scenic so quite a good boot...dont really use buses as im a driver and its really just for school runs and walks to park etc which isnt that far.x

AliceK
09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
lots of replies..thankyou all :thumbsup: I have a renault scenic so quite a good boot...dont really use buses as im a driver and its really just for school runs and walks to park etc which isnt that far.x

In that case I would def go for the Out N About Nipper 360. Its brilliant and will suit all age groups from babies who need to lay flat to 3yr olds. Plus at a push an older child can sit and have a ride on the foot plate if they need to and there are no spare seats (my DD :rolleyes: ) and you can also fit a buggy board to it too. I love mine. I also love my P&T but it's not quite so adaptable.

xxxxx

PS Mine also fits thro my front door but it wouldn't fit thro the front door in my old house.

donnam
09-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I have childminded for nearly 14yrs and have had a range of prams i would defo steer clear of tandems,i bought a nipper double brand new with buggy board at the time it cost me about £400 with everything might sound alot but i would now never use anything else fantastic buy,as i use all the time i dont drive.:)

catlyn
09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
QUOTE=onceinabluemoon;885824]Nipper out and about 360 best side by side (but will not fit through your front door

mine fits through my front door OK...but wont go through the interior doors

maryp0ppins
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I swear by my graco duo sport side by side. I cannot get it through my door but to push is brilliant even with 1 hand. It has a huge basket too :thumbsup:

I have a tandem & I think the back baby always looks so awkward and uncomfortable in it so tend not to use it!!

nicoleon
09-03-2011, 12:27 PM
ah, the old buggy question!

I HATE Nippers because they are far too low for me so if you are tall I recommend trying one first (I'm only 5'7 and get a sore back pushing one of them). Liked the Jane but not perfect - commonly veers to one side and the front seat hardly reclines.

I love my ABC Adventure buggy but that's quite expensive and also big.

I love all baby joggers, I've got a micro one for the school run and it's fab.

I hate Maclaren Double buggies and similar umbrella fold ones as I hate that you walk into them if you get too close iykwim.

I would try and have a go on some of them when you see people out and about (trust me most don't mind :thumbsup: ) because until you try it you really won't know if it suits you. I had to do lots of buggy trading before settling with the three i've got now :D

onceinabluemoon
09-03-2011, 01:29 PM
QUOTE=onceinabluemoon;885824]Nipper out and about 360 best side by side (but will not fit through your front door

mine fits through my front door OK...but wont go through the interior doors

How bizarre! Mine will go through my interior doors with ease but not through the front door.

I also have an ABC double but only tend to use it as a triple because I forget its there... Thats also fab but I prefer the 360 to push but I wouldn't want to be any taller than 5 foot 6inches as I do lean down slightly to push it.

The ABC fold up to about 2 inches wide though so is excellent for storing when not in use (wheels off)