PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Fraggle1
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Hiya!

I look after a little boy 3 days a week 8-6 and it is working really well around my 2.5 year old little boy. I get to spend 2 days with him which I really love - he will start pre-school in September and then school next year. Anyway...mum asked how I would feel about going full time. Really don't know what to do.....my gut it telling me not to do it cause I don't want to regret not having those last lovely moments with my lo, even though it means she may have to to elsewhere for a F/T place.
The the otherside is thinking that because my lo is starting pre-school in september etc...then maybe I shld. One of my friends suggested maybe doing it but saying I would have 6 weeks holiday a year instead of 4, cause again I wouldn't get any chance to spend one on one time with my older boy during school holidays aswell

Have any of you ever ignored your gut feeling and then regretted it? Or has it turned out ok in the end and your glad you went for it - just feel so guilty for my lo :(

Thanks for any advice. xx

Mouse
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
What about trying to share care with another minder? You do 4 days and they do 1? It would still give you one day a week with your little boy and would mean mum wouldn't have to look for someone completely new. Then maybe every now & again you could get the other minder to have him extra days to give you more time with your boy.

The Juggler
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree, I do a 4 day week. my new mum has agreed to the 4 days and is using a nursery on the other day. she is termtime only too though.

Or say to mum it's fine/you'll work 4 days max but you will only agree to work the 3 days in the school holidays as you want some time with your older son.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I like your friends suggestion but if you really want the time with your little one and you can afford it then why not say no

rickysmiths
08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
It is a difficult one. When I started I had a little boy every afternoon so I could have the morning with my two. I did this for about 9mths and he was term time only so i got all the school holidays off as well which was lovely.

If you are getting on with this lo and the family it might be a shame to loose them for the sake of two days but it depends on how easy it would be for you to get another part timer, then you will have to settle them in.

s it is only one child I don't think yours will loose out because you can do pretty much what you would do with your son, bit like going out with siblings.

I would ask to increase your holiday, 4 weeks is less than the min for those on min wage they have to have 25 days. I have 25 days and have done for 6yrs now. Would they be able to collect at 5.30 instead of 6pm if it was full time? Just to give you that half hour at the end of the day. Could she do a few weeks of 4 days and then go to 5 days so you can get used to it?

Fraggle1
08-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Great responses - thankyou!

Given me quite abit to think about :)

The hours would be the same, she wouldn't beable to collect before 6pm really. It would be a shame to loose this lo when he is starting to settle in, and things will only get easier the older he gets.
I think if she does need me F/T then I may just do it but with an increase in holidays....maybe to 25 days :) Part of me hopes she stays P/T then I don't have to make the decision but then if I let this lo go for the sake of 2 days I may not get another P/T one anyway! lol gosh...never knew I'd have so many things to think about at the start of my childminding! lol

thanks very much ladies...feel abit better having got this off my chest and feel like I know what my answer will be - thanks again :) xx

wendywu
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
It is only the same as if he had a brother or sister.

I think two together is a nice number of children and it can be so much fun watching them grow up and bouncing off each other :D

FizzWizz
08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I do 3 days a week with my mindee (16 months) and then have the other two with DS (23 months) which I love and we are in the fortunate position that I do not HAVE to work the other two days - mum is absolutely fine with this and uses a nursery for the other days which also works well if I am sick / on hol as she can up the days at the nursery at short notice. I find it a really nice balance but I think you will adapt quickly to whatever you decide to do :)