PDA

View Full Version : do i have to show i have risk assessed cleaning products

mrs robbie williams
08-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi, i read somewhere on here about COSHH sheets? just wondered, do i have to risk assess my cleaning products?

The Juggler
08-03-2011, 01:02 PM
some people do. It's not a stat. requirement. I don't and I've no plans ever too! there's enough risk assessments as it is and I have a life to live :laughing: :D

Bitsy Beans
08-03-2011, 07:33 PM
I opened this thread with a heavy heart thinking "OMG not something else I have to risk assess".

Like Juggler I am not planning on it, actually I am starting to rebel a little about the paperwork side.......getting a bit sick of it now. I've ditched my daily tick risk assessment sheet. It's a total waste of time :o

mrs robbie williams
09-03-2011, 06:50 AM
phew thats a relief - im finding paperwork getting behind at the mo :blush: isnt the daily risk assessment compulsory? if not mines going in the bin aswell :D

miffy
09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I had my inspection yesterday. I don't have COSHH sheets and I wasn't asked for them but she did check where chemical cleaners were kept and that there was nothing left in the bathroom etc.

I don't do a daily ra tick sheet - that's a waste of paper, imvho, and proves nothing. I have a sheet with details of everything I check daily and I make a note of anything that's not right and what I've done about. Now, my inspector was happy with that but it's not to say they all would be. I wouldn't ditch your daily check list altogether.

Miffy xx

mama2three
09-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a daily list - it isnt a ticklist though. I could tick a list without checking anything at all ! Mine is just a record of the checks i say i will undertake daily - no more than that!
If you have any 'staff' then Coshh sheets become important as you have to safeguard them as well as the children and they will have access to your various chemicals.

Penny1959
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Agree with other posters on this thread - tick lists show nothing, COSHH sheets not needed and a complete waste of time.

I have my own campaign against pointless paperwork - so many people worry about not having the 'right' paperwork that they end up with so much stuff that they never actually use it - or even remember what they have! - I refused to have any documents that do not have a purpose or work for me in my setting - the EYFS is actually quite flexible and there is usually many different ways of providing the evidence needed that you are meeting the requirements.

Of course some love doing paperwork - and that is fine as that works for them - just doesn't work for me!

Penny :)

Tealady
09-03-2011, 10:30 PM
After getting my "Better Food Better Business Childminding" folder, I've taken that approch to my daily risk assesments. I keep a copy of them at the front and if I have found anything untoward or I just make a note in a table at the back. Much simpler.

buildingblocks
11-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a COSHH folder in my kitchen doesn't take any extra time as basically found the websites for the products and downloaded them form there. If there wasn't one I found the contact details and emailed them and they sent them to me. If I use something new I just print of the COSHH form for that and add to the folder. Once a year I review the info and check it hasn't been updated or altered.

I do have a simple form and may transfer important info to that but haven't time or inclination at the moment to do that - not enough hours in the day.