PDA

View Full Version : promoting different cultures/diversity

levason
07-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Not sure if this is in the right place but just wondered what kind of things I could get to promote the above? I have books that show obvious differences, men, women, glasses, beards, women in the police, men with babies etc...but need things to show other cultures etc... can't really afford things such as ethnic dolls at the moment so wondered what else I could get/use?xx

angiemog
07-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I did a story sack for Handas surprise. The book I bought had a dvd in it too. I added masks for each animal and a simple dress my friend made for me out of some coloured material. I will add to it in the future.You can also get a book similiar to we are going on a bear hunt but its a lion hunt. You can get ethnic dollies quite cheap if you look around. I got one for around £4. I went through my books, puzzles..... and just made a note of what I had.
You can add some chop sticks to the play food. There is another book I think it's called All kinds of houses which has been recommended on here before.
As for diversity (and disability) Sarah put a really good list of ideas on here a while ago, I'm sure someone will put a link soon. I bought a couple of Balamory books and a dvd for around £3 from Amazon. I also bought Topsy and Tim make a new friend (it's a child in a wheel chair) I got a set of happy street people from ELC which had a child in a wheel chair too. There is also a book called Don't call me special. I would just get a couple of things and then add to it when you find things. Diversity was the only thing that I needed to do after my first inspection. I spent about £20 and have a nice collection of things.
Good Luck x

Andrea08
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
ditto above,,

books and dolls from 2nd hand shops,
jigsaws,

dont have a lot myself but hay we can but do our best hun x

The Juggler
07-03-2011, 05:51 PM
me and mindees watch and download or bookmark lots of youtube videos for different festivals:

chinese new year
mardi gras

they love these as then they can see the dancing costumes and hear the music. We then make masks, dragons in small form for arts and crafts. Dressing up stuff is more expensive to get hold of and yes the smallworld stuff can be expensive sometimes but try the library book sales they often have great multicultural books for children for sale - our library charges you for a bag £2,00 and you can fill it up.:D

gegele
07-03-2011, 09:29 PM
you can print and laminate picture of different colour skin abilities people.
use a puncher and make holes around and TADA you have threading cards.

you can do little lotto

you don't have to have hundreds and thousands it takes time to accumulate.

keep a eye on amazon for dolls you can have boy with bits in all colours for 6-7quids

borrow books from your library

look for fabrics and in charity shop for more ethnic stuff. i'm going to look when i pop in london, i'll go in fabric shop and get some sparkly stuff so you can do like belly dansers and all....

a few chop stick and wooden spoons....

theres lots

good luck

Blaze
07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
The teletubbies are multicultural....happyland is diverse too - take a long hard look at the resources you already have - you might be surprised!:)