PDA

View Full Version : Getting started and two under two's

cheekylilstar
06-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Hiya

I'm a mum of a 14 month old daughter and have just been asked by my sister in law if I would be her childminder when she goes back to work - her daughter is 6 months old but would be 9 months old when I started.

Just wondering how I would go about getting registered/if i would need to as it's family? Also any tips on looking after two children this age would be great. I have worked in a nursery and a primary school before so have plenty of experience with young children but never been the 'sole' minder before.

I have first aid certificates etc so not sure if i would need to renew these? Thanks in advance for any advice

xxx

cheekylilstar
06-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Hiya

I have a 14 month old daughter and my sister in law recently approached me about becoming a childminder to my niece who is six months old five days a week for five hours a day once she goes back to work

Will i need to register with ofsted etc to do this?

Also I have no idea what to charge her :-s Was thinking £10 a day is this reasonable or under/over priced?

Does anybody have tips for looking after children with this age group?
xxx

tulip0803
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi and welcome

If you are looking after a close family member you do not have to register to be a childminder, this would include a niece. However your sister-in-law would not be able to claim the childcare element of tax credits or any workplace voucher scheme to pay you with as you would need to register to be paid using them.

If you register you would have to be available to care for children outside of your family.

It is up to you what you charge her but £10 per day is definately mates/family rates. You would need to register your income with HMRC even if you will be earning under the tax threshold and declare it to tax credits.

Children this age love to explore, stories, paining, drawing, water play, messy play,singing, dancing, muscial instruments, dolls buggies (boys and girls). Just go with the flow and see what they want.

If you do want to register contact your council's Family Information Service for further info. I love being a childminder and it is a great job to spend time with your own child and earn money. If you register you will need to renew your first aid every 3 years, and do other courses such as child protection, food hygiene and a starting childminding course.

lma
07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Don't know if I read this right but you said your sisters baby is 6 months and would be 9 months when you started??

This means you only have 3 months to go through the whole registration process and I'm thinking thats not long enough honestly. I started my ICP course (a course all new childminders have to undertake) around september...ish time and after taking the exam, getting crb, haveing pre-registration and so on I wasn't able to start childminding till march therfore taking 6-7 months in total and I think I was rather quick from what I've heard from other childminders.

You should get intouch with the childminder co-ordinator in your area and ask her what the likelyhood of getting registered in 3 months is???? She might have some suggestions.

Vickster
07-03-2011, 08:00 AM
I started the process in July and was rehistered beginning of December, so it does take about six months x

Baildon bears
07-03-2011, 06:39 PM
It took me just under a year to register, first you have to apply then you have all the training courses to go on, its quite a long process.

As far as I know you do have to be registered if you are getting payment even if its family, as far as payment is concerned you should be looking at an hourly rate around about £3.50ph depending on your area. £10.00 is definatly not enough.