PDA

View Full Version : MMR vaccine

shelly03
06-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi I am taking on 2 children and have just found out that they have not had MMR jabs due to mums fear of Autism. Im a little uncomfortable about this, What if I become pregnant (we have been trying for 5 months) and what about other children. I feel I am putting us at risk. Think I am being overly dramatic? Interested in others views.

Blaze
06-03-2011, 08:31 PM
My eldest had her MMR when she was 10, my son had it when he was 4 nearly 5 (was starting school) & my youngest DD will have it in 3 years when she is 5. ...I believe there is a genetic link & also that their systems get overloaded, so I give it late - after many years research & deliberation.IMHO you are being a bit dramatic, but if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel...you decide what's best for your family as this mother has for her's IYSWIM HTH:)

Playmate
06-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Not quite sure why you are worrying, if you have had your jabs and the other mindees, then it is only her children that are at risk and thats mums problem.

Hebs
07-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Why do you need to worry if you've had yours?

I fully agree with NOT giving childhood vaccines!

AliceK
07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Why do you need to worry if you've had yours?

I fully agree with NOT giving childhood vaccines!

I tend to agree. My DS had his after much doubt from myself but my DD aged 3yrs hasn't had hers, she has enough problems and I will wait until she is older.

I think rightly or wrongly there is an increase in parents not giving their children so many vaccinations when they are so young.

xxxx

rickysmiths
07-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm one of the oldies that had Measles. There were no vacinations way back then. It swept through the school I was in and there were deaths. Of all the childhood diseases I had and I had Chicken Pox, Mumps twice, Measles was the worst. I had to stay in a darkened room for 2 weeks because the light can damage your eyes, I was only allowed apart from my mum and grandma who we were living with was my God mother because she had had it. I remember feeling very ill.

Hebs
07-03-2011, 07:33 PM
my daughter has measles twice, she was the same had to be in a dark room but she was ok x

snufflepuff
07-03-2011, 07:37 PM
So how would it work if, for example, I was caring for a newborn baby and a child who had not been immunised? The child who had not been immunised catches measles and passes it to the baby who is not yet old enough to have had the MMR? Would the baby have some immunity passed on from it's mother?

rickysmiths
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
my daughter has measles twice, she was the same had to be in a dark room but she was ok x

You are very lucky. I would be worried sick if I thought my children could get such a horrible disease and the thought of them having it twice :panic:

rickysmiths
07-03-2011, 07:47 PM
So how would it work if, for example, I was caring for a newborn baby and a child who had not been immunised? The child who had not been immunised catches measles and passes it to the baby who is not yet old enough to have had the MMR? Would the baby have some immunity passed on from it's mother?

Its difficult isn't it because it is infectious before the spots show. There isn't much you can do. Unprotected children are out in the community anyway however much you protect them so they could get it anyway if the virus is around.
I fear a time bomb waiting to go off. There are already more deaths in a year as a result of Measles than there need be. One year soon there will be an epidemic with many deaths.

We live in an area that has one of the lowest uptakes of MMR in the country. I always ask parents and so far all have had it done or intend to at the right time. :thumbsup:

Hebs
07-03-2011, 07:51 PM
You are very lucky. I would be worried sick if I thought my children could get such a horrible disease and the thought of them having it twice :panic:

she was 6 months old and again at 19 months old

marnieb
08-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Simple - do a policy outlining that if the children contract measles, mumps or rubella then you are not responsibe as the parent decided not to vaccinate them, and the usual stuff and exclusion times.

AliceK
08-03-2011, 09:42 AM
My son had measles and this was after he had been vaccinated. He was quite poorly for a few days and was initially wrongly diagnosed as having a viral rash :eek: . By the time he was correctly diagnosed he was over the worst. I think he was about 18mths old at the time.

xxxx

rickysmiths
09-03-2011, 12:12 AM
My son had measles and this was after he had been vaccinated. He was quite poorly for a few days and was initially wrongly diagnosed as having a viral rash :eek: . By the time he was correctly diagnosed he was over the worst. I think he was about 18mths old at the time.

xxxx

In order to get the best protection you have to have 95% of the population having the vacinations. This is one of the problems with the current trend not to. Not only are the un-vacinated children at risk but so are the vacinated population around them because there is a higher chance of measles mumps or rubella outbreaks.

Hebs
09-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I personally dont feel we need to vaccinate

i have done extensive research on the dangers of vaccines and would not give another child any vaccines.
i wont allow my children to have any more either :thumbsup: