PDA

View Full Version : School Meal Trays

Bernie
06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
HI,

I'm after some compartment food trays (the ones they have in schools). I've googled them but they are in either bulk loads or very expensive.

Does anybody use them? Or know where to get them from?

:thumbsup:

miss mopple
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Just curious, but why would you want to use them?

sweets
06-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Just curious, but why would you want to use them?

me too!

im sorry but i think they are awful, i cant understand why schools use them or are allowed to use them. they remind me of prisons. :laughing: id hate all my food to be separated

Bernie
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Ah no....really? :blush:

We eat alot outside, and I thought they would be a great idea to put sandwiches in one bit, fruit in another, yoghurt and drink in another.

I thought they would be ideal for the kiddles to carry also, so things don't slide around on their trek up the garden.

And maybe save on a bit of washing up???

Oh no, I'm a bit embarrassed now.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

venus89
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM

We eat alot outside, and I thought they would be a great idea to put sandwiches in one bit, fruit in another, yoghurt and drink in another.

I thought they would be ideal for the kiddles to carry also, so things don't slide around on their trek up the garden.

Oh bless you :group hug:

I think that makes an awful lot of sense....

sweets
06-03-2011, 08:40 PM

oh don't be :blush: it was only my opinion, sorry!

maybe they would be ok for outside use, maybe even a good idea.
can see they do have uses after all :laughing: would stop the food sliding off normal plates when balanced on knees.

miss mopple
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Don't be embarrassed you nana! No need. We all do things differently and if you think they will work for you then fair enough. Personally I just think that I wouldn't use them myself in my home, and we are a home based setting after all, so I wouldn't seperate out the mindees by giving them to them to use. Its a bit schoolified for my liking

mushpea
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
oh dont be embarased,,, i can see where your comming from and now you explain it its not a bad idea although i have to say I am not keen on the look of them but we cant all like the same things,
at meal times i dont put all their food on their plate at once as they wouldnt eat half of it,,, mine get their sandwichs, then when theyve eaten them they get fruit then when they have eaten that they can choose crisps or cheesy or just have their dessert,,, if it were me I would pack it all in a box and take it and some plates with me,

PixiePetal
06-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I got some small rectangular divided plates from GLTC a couple of years ago.

there are 4 parts in different sizes and I use them for sandwich lunches. They are all different colours and I like them :thumbsup: so do the kids :) They fit on my high chair trays better than my round plates :laughing:

sonia ann
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
saw some in our local pound shop this week :)

ninagee
06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I use the easy lunchboxes when we go out for picnics/outings. The little ones love them and they help pack their own box. I use them as my two full timers are intolerant to various things and makes things easier for me to keep their food apart.

http://www.beckyandlolo.co.uk/department/easy_lunch_boxes/

They are a bit expensive if you buy the bag as well but its worth it. The only negative I have is that they can chip if used as a bat. My ds5 swinging his bag around and hit various things on the way to school, eg lamp post, walls. I bought a set of 4 boxes in May 2010 and now have two left. The boxes are BPA/PVC free so a little more fragile than normal lunchboxes.

The lunch bag has been in the washing machine many times and still in one piece. I'm ordering another lot this month as I find them very useful.

Nina :)

jumpinjen
06-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I think sweets and Miss mopple were imagining you serve balls of mash from an ice cream scoop, grey cabbage and lumpy gravy!!!

I personally use china plates with the little ones.... they can break if dropped but all a good lesson on taking care and clearing up and they look pretty too.... easy to pick up from sales and charity shops and the Lo's love picking their favourite ones!!

As said already.... we all do things differently! I put a plate of sandwhiches and salad bits on the table at lunch time and encourage the children to take one or two then come back for more if they want.... i know what each of them usually eats so i can make the right amount but it gives a nice sense of occasion to a meal

jen x

babs
06-03-2011, 09:33 PM
ive got 2 for lo's i use when they have sandwichs outside like you said sandwiches in one bit, fruit and crisps or cheese in other... from £1 shop 2 for £1.. also found out this week mindee i have 1 day a week loves beans but now does not like them if they touch anything else :laughing: so tray came in handy mum told me (says hes been doing it few days at home to but she had to put beans in a bowl at side of plate ... dont children make you giggle some times

sweets
06-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I think sweets and Miss mopple were imagining you serve balls of mash from an ice cream scoop, grey cabbage and lumpy gravy!!!

I personally use china plates with the little ones.... they can break if dropped but all a good lesson on taking care and clearing up and they look pretty too.... easy to pick up from sales and charity shops and the Lo's love picking their favourite ones!!

As said already.... we all do things differently! I put a plate of sandwhiches and salad bits on the table at lunch time and encourage the children to take one or two then come back for more if they want.... i know what each of them usually eats so i can make the right amount but it gives a nice sense of occasion to a meal

jen x

:laughing: :laughing: yes and all the children standing in a line holding thier trays while the food was slopped on then told to move along ! :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I got some divided plates from wilkos years ago for my littlies helps them scoop up the veg etc. divided into 3 sections.

lma
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
i got some lovely trays from asda about 5 years ago for my daughter. I bought a bright blue, green and orange one and they have a smiley face for the main meal and the eyes are at the top (iygwim?) and are seperate for the right portion of veg and they have a compartment at either side for the knife and fork. My daughter loved them and me being the horder I am kept them and my youngest loves them too as do the mindees however I only have 3 so I have to hide them when I have more than 3 of them. I tell them hubby took them to wark and they all say 'not again' lol no wonder they give him the evil eye sometimes lol:laughing: