PDA

View Full Version : LEARNING JOURNAL - AM I DOING THIS RIGHT????!!!

mummyme
06-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi there,

The first of many questions from me I think!:o

I've only been minding for one week. I have 3 mindees, 2 of them are over 5, one of them is 1. For the older 2 I have been doing a basic journal of how they are settling in and what they have done including photos of lego sculptures etc. For the 1 year old, I know that I need to do the EYFS stuff. I have been typing up entries daily (is this right). The format I am using is for instance:

'X' had a great time at coffee morning today and loved playing on the slide with the other children and they seemed to work it out between themselves that they needed to take turns. (PERSONAL, SOCIAL AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT / COMMUNICATION, LANGUAGE AND LITERACY / PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT). He also enjoyed playing with some coloured beads on an activity centre and managed to work out how to get them from one side of the bar to the other. He became very engrossed in doing this. While he was moving the beads I talked to him about the colours of the beads. (COMMUNICATION, LANGUAGE AND LITERACY / PROBLEM SOLVING / REASONING AND NUMERACY). OBSERVATION – I noticed that Zach is very good with his hands, which was clear by the way he managed to move the beads the many different ways it took to get the beads from one side to the other especially when the bar that the beads were on was like a cork screw.

Is this ok? Please feel free to tell me that it is absolutely awful, I value opinions. Just don't want to get months down the line and find that what i am doing is wrong! :panic:

Sorry this is long and thank you for reading. :blush:

Mykidsrock
06-03-2011, 08:08 PM
It sounds fine to me and if you have some pictures - why not turn these into Observations?

You could do a daily diary such as feeds, nappy changes, sleeps and a brief summary of activities to send home with LO for parents to comment on.

Good luck!

Jess x

mummyme
06-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much for the reply.

I understand what you have said. We went to the park and I took a couple of pictures of him on the swing. I have put these in his learning journal. How would I make them observations IYSWIM?

Sorry to be a pain! This site is fab! :)

Mykidsrock
06-03-2011, 08:55 PM
You can do an observation and basically it needs to cover

Childs name:
Date:
Activity:
Description:
How it supported child's learning:
Link to EYFS's:
Next Steps:

Then stick some photos on

Good luck

Jess x

venus89
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
This site is fab. And we've all asked loads and loads and loads of questions (except Sarah because she knows absolutely everything already that there is to know about Childminding :clapping: )

Personally I wouldn't say 'is very good with his hands'. The details you put in were really really good but to me 'is very good' is a bit more of a judgement than a fact, IYSWIM?

mummyme
06-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Yes I do see what you mean Venue 89. Thanks, I'll change that bit. You've both been very helpful. Where would we be without this site!