PDA

View Full Version : How many do you mind for in the holidays?

rainbowsplash
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi all

Just wondering what sort of numbers you all mind for in the holidays usually? I have a mum who I saw today who is coming back to sign contracts in the week (hopefully) and I have now had another enquiry from a friend for her family in the school holidays for 2 weeks. This would mean that those two weeks I would be full(6 children) for 0-8 and have 3 children that are 8-9.

I am registered on the voluntary part of the register so am able to mind these, but just wondered what other peoples experiences were?? I certainly wouldn't want any more than that but as it's two weeks I don't really see it being a problem :) :S

Thanks xx

hayleychildcare
06-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I normally end up with 7 children everyday during the holidays, these are normally 5 under 8 and 2 over 8.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I have up to 13 which is a nightmare at times but I work with 2 other childminders as we are often out with 23 between us

Planning is key

francinejayne
06-03-2011, 05:54 PM
The most I have or will have is 5. Then both myself and my DS and the mindees will all fit in my 7 seater car - we go out almost every day and I couldn't do it without the use of my car.

During half term my friend had 10, and it drove her mad, she swore she will limit it so she can use her car in future.

rainbowsplash
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I have up to 13 which is a nightmare at times but I work with 2 other childminders as we are often out with 23 between us

Planning is key

WOW!! I think 9 is plenty for me!

Do they all behave for you?!

I think I am going to provisionally accept and see how it goes with the new mindees first

x

mushpea
06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
depends on what day of the week but anywhere from 3 up to 5 plus my own two,,, on the days i have 5 one child goes at 1pm so those days we go out in the car after they have gone which is nice as it breaks up the afternoon.
most of them get on nicley and play well together but I have always said I would never have to many for the car so will not accept any more mindees in the holidays.

The Juggler
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
used to have 6 or 7 now just have 4 or 5 (2 of which are mine!) lovely:D

Zoomie
06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
i turn children down if they are going to take me over my car carrying capacity.

Generally have 3 mindees plus my own 3 in our 7 seater :D.

Will usually take the sibling of one of my mindees when her minder is on holidays, but that is usually just for a few weeks each year.

rainbowsplash
07-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't have the issue of the car as don't drive yet, so it would be a case of having them at home or locally for the week-wondering if it is doable or if I will go in sane lol

Bananabrain
07-03-2011, 12:53 PM
It is do-able. But like Debbie says: it's all in the planning! Don't expect to be able to do much at the weekends!
I think it very much depends on how many meals you provide too. I sometimes feel that I am running a cafe in the hols.

Andrea08
07-03-2011, 12:56 PM
last half term break i only had one or two all mine are term time only atm

but 2 summers ago janet n i had 17 childrne between us in one day... neva again i said lol but a lot were in our ova 8's inc our own children

mushpea
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I thinks its doable without a car,,, I have spent a whole year without a car and we just walked everywhere,, we have several parks near us and some around 1.5miles away which we walk to ,have a picnic then walk back again,, it makes a nice day out, passes the time and they get to see a lot more when they are walking. they all have little back packs with their stuff in so I dont have to cart everything around which makes life easier

rainbowsplash
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
last half term break i only had one or two all mine are term time only atm

but 2 summers ago janet n i had 17 childrne between us in one day... neva again i said lol but a lot were in our ova 8's inc our own children

17!!!! WOW you desrve a medal!!

rainbowsplash
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I thinks its doable without a car,,, I have spent a whole year without a car and we just walked everywhere,, we have several parks near us and some around 1.5miles away which we walk to ,have a picnic then walk back again,, it makes a nice day out, passes the time and they get to see a lot more when they are walking. they all have little back packs with their stuff in so I dont have to cart everything around which makes life easier

Thanks for the tip re back packs :D