PDA

View Full Version : No Car seats for LO's

OrlandoBelle
06-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I no longer look after these children anymore, but I just wondered what you would have done in this situation, and what the law says you have to do...

A few months ago, a mindee's Grandparent came to collect the two LO's I was looking after. There were a few other people in the back of their 7 seater car. I was shocked as I watched the Grandparent take the baby (then 11 months old) and put him on a minors lap (she looked about 12), and then the other one (3) sat on a seat with no car seat!!:eek:

I didn't know what to do as ultimately the children were off my premises in the Grandparent's car. I asked why they didn't have car seats and he just shrugged!

I am so glad I no longer deal with that family... but just wondered what you would have done in that situation

Louise0208
06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
i wouldnt of allowed them to go,

although if they were to kick up a stink i would of contacted mum & said that i had tried my best & its my duty to safegaurd the children & if they were to be found to not be safe in the car again the appropriate authorities would be informed.....It is breaking the Law

my kids schoold are full of travellers & none of them use car seats or belts....it really angers me :angry: there is also a childminder near me that u until recently (a complaint had been made) uses 1 belt across 2 children with no booster seats & has her son in the front seat with no belt....yet straps herself in!

mufftie
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I had similar situation when a parent ( past) asked if her boyfriend could pick up her son (3) and I knew he was driving illegally ( no licence) and I refused to allow him to go , she often picked him up and then put him in the car with her boyfriend but that's not my discision once mum has taken him

rachelle
06-03-2011, 05:16 PM
i have one who often goes on a lap in the back of a taxi. Parent's decision and once they're handed over not a lot I can do except quiety roll eyes..

OrlandoBelle
06-03-2011, 05:24 PM
It was the Mums car and she rarely used car seats either. It angered me so much. There was occassionally a car seat for the baby, but never for the LO and DH said he was sure she never had a seat belt on. Some people obviously don't care about their children.

I mentioned it once when she told me the older two siblings kept taking their belts off when she was driving. She just brushed it off saying "yeah, they don't like wearing them". I thought it was absolutely disgusting. She's the parent. They should do what she says! But this is the same parent who used to let her 5 yr old stay home because "he refused to go to school":eek:

OrlandoBelle
06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
i wouldnt of allowed them to go,

although if they were to kick up a stink i would of contacted mum & said that i had tried my best & its my duty to safegaurd the children & if they were to be found to not be safe in the car again the appropriate authorities would be informed.....It is breaking the Law

my kids schoold are full of travellers & none of them use car seats or belts....it really angers me :angry: there is also a childminder near me that u until recently (a complaint had been made) uses 1 belt across 2 children with no booster seats & has her son in the front seat with no belt....yet straps herself in!

She should have been struck off for that! :eek:

rickysmiths
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't think there is a lot you can do. The parent has given permission because they have arranged for the Grandparents to collect the children. The chiidren are not our responsibility when they have left our care and there I don't think, is much you can do about it. I definately wouldn't have kept the children.

I would have spoken to mum the next time I saw her and would have expressed my concern and why.

Parents do do stupid things, but at the end of the day they all know the law and it is their choice if they break it.

We have on the other hand reported a Cm locally for not having children in the correct seats. I also rang one of the parents who I happened to know and suggested she ask to see the seat the cm was using for her child, knowing that she wasn't using one :eek: they had only just started with the cm. There is no excuse whatsoever for a cm to have children wrongly strapped in a car.

Cammie Doodle
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I have had this prob in the past , and now have it again, as Ricksmiths says there really is not a lot I can do when a Parent has left my home. It does worry me, but not sure what I can do :panic:

babs
06-03-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/#kids311

Children aged 3 and above, until they reach EITHER their 12th birthday OR 135cm in height

In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

In the Rear Seat

The child MUST use the correct restraint, where seat belts are fitted.

There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -

1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;

2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

In addition, a child 3 and over may travel unrestrained in the rear seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not available.

It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained.

why not do i news letter and print off info send it out to...